The joys of a lovely YO!

JJS

Visit site
I've had my horses on livery at the current place for almost four years, and in that time, I can honestly say that the whole experience has been a complete and utter delight. I've been on yards where those in charge were kind and knowledgeable, and also at places where those running the show were nothing short of bullies, but the stables we're at now has outclassed all of the others from the very beginning.

When I say it's DIY, I mean that literally. We're situated on a working farm and are essentially left to our own devices regarding management, yet the farmer and his family are lovely and the service they do provide is impeccable. We always enjoy having a good chinwag with the farmer and I happened to mention in passing that I really needed to clear out my deep-littered stables. I haven't used them at all this winter, despite having fully expected to, so had been holding off on getting them sorted until I thought I'd actually need to have them ready.

Lo and behold, I arrived today to find my stables cleared out and impeccably cleaned, even down to the empty water bowls having been scrubbed and stacked up in the corner. I went up to the farmhouse to ask who I needed to thank and was told not to worry - one of the farm boys had had a few hours free so the farmer had asked him to take care of it for me. Unsurprisingly, there's a box of chocolates and bottle of wine coming his way!

waggit

Visit site
It makes all the difference doesn't it. My boy was in such a state when he arrived at his new yard on a Saturday afternoon. My riding instructor kept her horse there and had recommended it to me. Wolf was mud encrusted, untidy and unkept. I just wanted him to settle in and get comfy in his new surroundings for a couple of days before I attacked him with the bubble bath and scissors. I didn't get a chance ! Once I got there after work on Monday night I didn't even recognize him. Mane and tail trimmed and pulled coat gleaming looking very content with himself. Y.O said once she started she couldn't stop herself and he apparently loved every second of the attention. It very much reduced me almost to tears I was so grateful and stunned.

JJS

Visit site
It makes all the difference doesn't it. My boy was in such a state when he arrived at his new yard on a Saturday afternoon. My riding instructor kept her horse there and had recommended it to me. Wolf was mud encrusted, untidy and unkept. I just wanted him to settle in and get comfy in his new surroundings for a couple of days before I attacked him with the bubble bath and scissors. I didn't get a chance ! Once I got there after work on Monday night I didn't even recognize him. Mane and tail trimmed and pulled coat gleaming looking very content with himself. Y.O said once she started she couldn't stop herself and he apparently loved every second of the attention. It very much reduced me almost to tears I was so grateful and stunned.

What a lovely yard owner! Yes, it really does. If I didn't have a million other reasons to want to stay exactly where I am, that gesture would have cemented it for me. I know lots of people bemoan having to have their horses on livery, but even if a field came up tomorrow, I'd have no real desire to move.

fusspot

Visit site
I think it also is how you are as clients and people.I have mine at home with 2 Assisted Diy’s and a Part Livery.I order my liveries hay and make sure it’s in place for them,if the diy’s have already mucked out before they go to work,I skip out once I have turned them out as I don’t like them coming into a Stable with droppings in.I also buy a bag of carrots and put a carrot in each Stable for when they come in.I do it because they are all lovely people and look after there’s as I would my own.In return a few weeks ago I went down with flu and chest infection-I got a message saying I wasn’t allowed out and between the three of them they had arranged doing the yard for 3 days.I am sure they do it as they know you would always help them too if ever needed.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Lovely post. My YO and her farmer husband are old school no nonsense kind of people. Rules have to be followed and neglecting horses is not tolerated. However, their kindness is staggering. They will stay up all night with a sick horse or drive your horse to hospital at any hour without a second thought.
YO's have to put up with a lot of flack but I've only had good, decent ones in the 50 years I've had horses.

Fiona

Visit site
Aww - obviously two lovely yard owners :) :)

I've never had any bad YO's per se, we always moved because of things not happening that were promised, or needing to be in a different location....

However I never had one who did favours, even little ones. You got what you paid for, and that was that....

Fiona

waggit

Visit site
I've only been lucky enough and rich enough to have had one horse and therefore one yard. Y.O was brilliant and although we did have a couple of difficult clients on the whole everyone got on. I ended up working there on weekends to give her some time off and got a taste of just how hard you had to work, the long hours and having to have the diplomacy of the entire United Nations combined. Nothing like having 10 on full livery, you've been hard at it since 5am 10 mins for lunch ( a cold coffee and a cigarette) and having someone phone you at 4pm wondering whether you can finish off their horse for them. And then realising they never mucked out that morning !

chocolategirl

Visit site
As others have said, lovely post😊YO’s do get a lot of bad press sometimes, but from experience, as in 24 years running a yard, some people just suck the nice right out of you!🤣🤣 I’ve got clients on my yard who’ve been with me for years, never had a problem, then some who very quickly rub me up the wrong way. I’m the kind of YO, that if you follow my rules, which I make clear before you come, and apply common sense where needed, I’ll be a happy camper!🤣

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have had a couple of really nice YOs and some that werent great but not horrendous, but I've also had the one that got my pony so fat he died of lammi not long afterwards, despite me literally begging her to stop stuffing him with haylage and feed, oh and one of the recent ones where a crazy woman assaulted me. It turns out I wasnt the first and I doubt I'll be the last!

fabbydo

Visit site
Nice thread! My YO is great. She does things just as I would and I never worry about my horses. But what makes the yard perfect? 1. We all get on! Lovely people, all been there done that and know what they're doing so we don't have any shocking "what are they doing!!" moments. It's a relaxing and fun place to be. People only leave if they move house etc. 2. We communicate like grown ups! ie not through facebook or notes on a board. 3. We have manners.
So I would just like to say that there are some fantastic yards out there. If you're not happy, move. But look at yourself too instead of always blaming others. Some people's demands are simply unreasonable!

Chippers1

Visit site
My YO is equal parts lovely and equal parts bonkers 😅 I've been on the yard for 18 years though so I know how to deal with her! My yard is also one of the lovely ones where everyone pretty much gets on, it's one of the reasons I've been there so long

EllenJay

Visit site

Just goes to show that you can't please all the people ......

This would have really upset me. I would have been looking forward to spending time bathing him, spending quality time grooming him, and building up the relationship. So although it was a lovely thought, I would have hated it.

waggit

Visit site

This would have really upset me. I would have been looking forward to spending time bathing him, spending quality time grooming him, and building up the relationship. So although it was a lovely thought, I would have hated it.

It was meant well. I was younger and not so experienced. Wolf was a broken racehorse that I bought to save from the meat market. I use to ride him in his previous home and his personality was so sweet I couldn't bear to see him end like that. In under a week I had done the deal, found the yard and also found a job so that I could pay the bills. My stable knowledge and horse care knowledge was one step up from nil ! He came to the new yard near enough straight from a field. My Y.O took me under her wing and with the help of other liveries on the yard turned me into a groom very quickly. By doing that on that Monday she took all the pressure off me and gave me a good point at which to start learning whilst Wolf was much more comfortable and looking quite proud of himself. If I had been more of an experienced horsewoman at the time I would probably of been miffed. But as a novice kid stressed with the sudden change up in my life it was a Godsend.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my old YO is bonkers and lovely. she is the most caring person and if anyone is not well she will make sure their horse is done and wont take any money., i was very ill last winter (a flu virus)and she made me go home and arranged for my loan horse to be mucked out daily, and turned out and bought in. she kept in contact by phone and also visited..i didnt leave the house for 3 weeks as i was really bad,could only just walk to the bathroom and back,never been so ill in my life....when i got back to the yard she insisted on getting the mucking out for the first week and wouldnt take a penny for all that was done. needless to say i tried to give her extra when i paid mylivery which she wouldnt take so i arranged an interflora delivery for her...i have given up my loan horse but still keep in contact and regard her as a friend...

Reactions: JJS

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Over the last 20 years my horses have been on a total of 4 yards. We've been very lucky that all YOs have been really good. Our current yard has been home for the horses for almost 3 years & without a doubt, although the other yards were very good, this is the best place we've been. The YO & her husband & daughter are brilliant. They can't do enough to be helpful, mind you we reciprocate as well. The atmosphere is great, everyone gets on. It's only got 11 stables but there are only 7 owners so the yard is small. There is no bitching, it's a lovely place to be. The way the yard is laid out with 'American Barn stables for 8 & 3 external stables, all a great size. The outdoor arena has a lovely surface which rarely freezes & never floods. It's got a secure alarmed tack room, feed rooms & plenty of storage for hay & bedding & all liveries have summer & winter individual paddocks. We are all DIY & don't pay any more that the normal local livery rate for the area. I have a lorry which I park at the yard at no extra charge. I have found Nirvana!!

Reactions: JJS