The minefield that is... joint supplements

lucy_108

Visit site
Ugh, I have given myself a headache reading up about literally 100s of joint supplements on the market and I still can't decide.
The horse I am buying for is 21. He is still eventing and I want to give him something to support his joints and mobility. For a horse of his age, I'd be shocked if he didn't have even just the start of some arthritic changes, although he doesn't show it as he quite happily cruised round a beefy BE90 at the weekend.
So, I know what the "needed" ingredients are, but I was wondering if anyone had any researched recommendations to save me tearing my hair out?
I don't want any herbal additions - not that I have anything against them, I'd just like something with MSM, glucosamine etc. that have been proven to support joints. Ideally don't want to be exceeding £60/month.
Or if anyone can give me the 'gold standard' amounts of the key ingredients I should be looking for, that would be much appreciated too.
TIA!

Reactions: JBM

AlpacaTeddySJ

Visit site
I recently did a lot of researching for one of mine (11yr) who was diagnosed with bone spavin. After a lot of research I decided to go with Riaflex HA Complete (£45 per month, cheaper if you buy in larger quantities). I believe there is also a 10% new customer discount if you message them (I only found this out afterwards...)

I chose it because it contains all the main ingredients in the vet prescribed supps (Synequin, Cosequin) without the stupid price tag. Ingredients including Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin and HA, all in very pure and high qualities, even when compared to the super expensive stuff.

There is a good comparison of levels and price per serving on the product website.

He has definitely been more fluid and takes less time to warm up after being on it for the last 3 odd weeks. Going purely off the 'science', levels, price etc, it is the best IMO.

Fjord

Visit site
I use Premier Flex HA and Turmergold. Both have MSM and I think Glaucousamin. My mare had slight arthritic changes about 20 years ago and I put her on the Premier Flex, adding in the Turmergold last year. She's been fine, but is only in light work, so not a particularly robust case study.

AlpacaTeddySJ

Visit site
Fjord, just reminded me - I also feed Turmeric and high grade Boswellia as they have shown to be beneficial - I can't say for sure but I feel better for trying!

dorsetladette

Visit site
I've fed my lad a variety of different supplements for his aging joints. He's now on boswelia and spillers supple and senior balancer. I've found that this combination is working best for him and not costing a huge amount. The balancer was recommended to me by his physio. It has all the right amounts of everything in it.

If he's still very active with current owner I'd ask them what they are feeding and keep him on the same and in the same routine. Its obviously working for him.

claret09

Visit site
i have used equine america's kentucky joint supplement ever since it came out. i tend to use it for a few months and then give him a break and put him back on it. it's the one that the owner of equine america really recommends whenever i have seen him at a show. they changed the formula slightly recently and i find it to have a great impact. my boy is 25 and still in full work - we no longer jump as much - i do a lot of walking to increase his muscle tone and he also has very regular physio/reiki which really helps. he has never had hock injections and is not on any bute either.

lcmcd

New User
Visit site
Pretty expensive but nutraquin plus has been fantastic for my old boy - costs more at first when on “loading dose” but not too bad once settle into a lower quantity every day and seems to have made a huge difference to him… hope it helps!

Smile21

Visit site
We are currently feeding Feedmark BestFlex HA…expensive but good offers quite regularly. Seems to have one of the highest amounts of HA in and has Boswellia in too

Noble

Visit site
I am using Nutraquin plus on the recommendation of my vet. As said above on the loading dose of 20g it is expensive but after that is only 5g a day (for a 500kg horse) so my 450g £55 tub lasts 90 days so less than £20 a month. I believe it is only available through vets though.

lcmcd

New User
Visit site
I am using Nutraquin plus on the recommendation of my vet. As said above on the loading dose of 20g it is expensive but after that is only 5g a day (for a 500kg horse) so my 450g £55 tub lasts 90 days so less than £20 a month. I believe it is only available through vets though.

Yes we are the same, get it through vets and agree, same cost once past loading.

asmp

Visit site
Fjord, just reminded me - I also feed Turmeric and high grade Boswellia as they have shown to be beneficial - I can't say for sure but I feel better for trying!
How do you know if the Boswellia is high grade? The one I’m using at the moment is about to to run out so I’ll be looking to buy some more soon.

AlpacaTeddySJ

Visit site
How do you know if the Boswellia is high grade? The one I’m using at the moment is about to to run out so I’ll be looking to buy some more soon.

The good ones show the percentage of Boswellic acid (Riaflex sell 40% or 65%), otherwise you can’t really be sure what you’re getting. I personally get the 65%. But it’s up to you how much you look into that, I haven’t looked at the science in detail so I’m not sure if feeding more of the lower stuff would have the same benefit etc depending on cost..

AmeliaA

Visit site
The good ones show the percentage of Boswellic acid (Riaflex sell 40% or 65%), otherwise you can’t really be sure what you’re getting. I personally get the 65%. But it’s up to you how much you look into that, I haven’t looked at the science in detail so I’m not sure if feeding more of the lower stuff would have the same benefit etc depending on cost..
Can you feed boswellia along side other joint supplements? Currently feed NAF Senior Joint