The Most Ridiculous Grooming/Travelling Idea EVER?

JAK

Visit site
Spent two days washing & preparing CB for his small local show 'debut'! Looked at pristine white feathers & thought 'Hhmm, how to protect them in the trailer?'

Soooooooo...........OK, I'll just say it shall I...............we put 'knee highs' on him! Yes, the short version of tights - over his legs, hooves everything!
shocked.gif

He just stood there, bless him, looking faintly confused, as MD stretched them over his big feet & pulled them up his legs!
Fixed them in place with bandages & put travel boots over the top, to protect his hocks, as he can be naughty on the outward journey sometimes!

He tore them under his hooves obviously but didn't slip at all & his feathers were perfect when we unloaded him! (Wouldn't do it on a longer journey obviously, as could get hot or itchy but this was literally only 'up the road', only a quarter of an hour's travelling time!)

And the cost? £1 for five pairs - bargain!
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
Double whammy - you can use them when he isn't!!
grin.gif

JAK in pop-socks.......hmmm sounds ...... err interesting!!

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Double whammy - you can use them when he isn't!!
grin.gif

JAK in pop-socks.......hmmm sounds ...... err interesting!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I bought the pop-socks & the tights for his tail in extra large.........what are you trying to say Tia?
shocked.gif
blush.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
lol, That's ingenious!
I was at a show a couple of months ago and saw a coloured cob with the most pristine feathers I have ever seen. he looked fab, and I asked his owner "how do you keep his feathers so white??" her reply? "oh, he's not ALLOWED to get them dirty. Ever". that really saddened me. Horses are horses, and shold be allowed to get dirty...EXCEPT on show day!
grin.gif

scrat

Visit site
Our hairy cob has his legs wrapped in white towels and bandages right down to the ground for shows! If he's in travel boots the poo seems to find a way in but he wears them on the way home. Iv'e known people to use "tubigrip" over feathers and clingfilm!! It takes a lot of work to get him gleamin for shows but I'd never deny him the joy of rolling in the mud or dust when he returns from a show.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
The trouble with some of the cobs with very long feathers is that they stand on them and yank them out. People come up with all sorts of ingenious ideas. You have to be careful as (as JAK says) if they get itchy, then they will rub their legs and even more will fall out!

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It takes a lot of work to get him gleamin for shows but I'd never deny him the joy of rolling in the mud or dust when he returns from a show.

[/ QUOTE ]
When put back into his field, CB headed straight for the pond & in less than a minute, looked like 'Swamp Thing'! Ah well!
crazy.gif