The Need for blood in eventers

ihatework

Visit site
Interesting stats I agree, and slightly surprising.
Obviously not the only factor to consider when selecting (if that is the right word) horses for 4*.
I'd be interested to see the longevity of career versus %TB blood. Is there any correlation in that? Does the training intensity needed for lower % blood mean they don't last as long? Just musing, I have no answer either way!

popsdosh

Visit site
Obviously not the only factor to consider when selecting (if that is the right word) horses for 4*.
I'd be interested to see the longevity of career versus %TB blood. Is there any correlation in that? Does the training intensity needed for lower % blood mean they don't last as long? Just musing, I have no answer either way!

The %tages are a bit misleading as some of those are carrying more TB than stated as the research was slightly flawed by the depth they went back into pedigrees and also made no allowance for TB blood in SF or TRs

Springs

Visit site

Not sure that the level of intensity would have any affect on the life of the horse and could not see a connection between the two. You would have to accept the data as saying that a high % blood horse is more likely to cope and be placed at the higher levels within eventing.

popsdosh

Visit site
Not sure that the level of intensity would have any affect on the life of the horse and could not see a connection between the two. You would have to accept the data as saying that a high % blood horse is more likely to cope and be placed at the higher levels within eventing.

Nobody has ever disputed that fact. however a lot of modern WB stallions carry quite a lot of TB if you research their pedigree . There is also the argument of producing for a market as the eventing world is becoming polarised . TB at the top end and warmblood more suited below Int where dressage and SJ have a bigger influence on marks, Also the rider being able to cope with what they have beneath them at that level also influences stallion choice to a great extent. The lower levels will always be the volume market with more likelihood of selling . Whereas the higher levels will always be a bit of a lottery with high fall out rates with an uncertain buyer for the outcasts.