The New Agricultural Bill has been published and will effect us all.

Annagain

Visit site
I’m not saying I’m in favour of American food being imported, again my point has been missed?‍♀ I’m afraid I’m one of those old fashioned Brits who lives in hope that we’ll now become more self sufficient, and be more like the French! Have you ever been to a French supermarket? It’s interesting that the majority of their produce, is home grown ?In the interest of so called climate change, surely we need to stop flying and shipping stuff half way around the world don’t we? Farming has changed enormously over the last 30 odd years, and we can now grow things we never could before. Part of the problem imo is, our population is now so oversized, we are struggling to supply enough nosh for us all! Doesn’t that tell you something, and raise any concerns at all? I realise this is a different topic essentially, but still has a connection to the original subject of the post ?

I really don't think our Avocado, Mango and fresh Pineapple consumption has much to do with Europe - or that we'll suddenly start growing these things ourselves on Feb 1st. Like it or not, the UK's tastes have changed and people aren't going to be happy only eating turnips from November to March.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
The British Horse Society (BHS) is voicing its support for the new Agriculture Bill 2019-20 following its introduction to the House of Commons on January 16.

Mark Weston, Director of Access at The British Horse Society said: “The BHS welcomes the new Agriculture Bill and in particular, the Secretary of State’s power to provide financial assistance for the purpose of supporting public access to and enjoyment of the countryside, farmland or woodland and better understanding of the environment.

“In 2018, the BHS lobbied with other user groups for the Agriculture Bill to recognise the provision of access as a public good. As part of this we also asked members to contact their local MP to support the BHS’ call for farmers and landowners to be paid to widen the rights of way network available to horse riders, and to help maintain the network as part of any future subsidy scheme under the Bill.

“In England and Wales, horse riders currently have access to only 22% of the public rights of way network, and carriage drivers to just 5%. The BHS welcomes any incentive designed to enhance and extend the rights of way network and the Society remains committed to the safeguarding of these public assets to ensure that equestrians, cyclists and walkers can continue to use safe off-road routes in the future.”

The Bill was introduced to the House of Commons on January 16 and given its first reading without debate. Members of Parliament will consider the Bill at a Second Reading, with a date for the reading to be announced in due course.

The Bill is available to view at https://services.parliament.uk/bills/2019-20/agriculture.html

Find out more about the vital access work of the BHS at bhs.org.uk/access.

Reactions: DD

fburton

Visit site
Environment secretary votes against his own proposals to protect post-Brexit food standards

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/george-eustice-brexit-food-standards-1-6549261

"When Eustice was on the backbenches back in 2019 he tabled an amendment to the Agriculture Bill to try to protect the UK's high animal welfare and food hygiene standards by banning the sale of lower standard foods such as chlorine-washed chicken and hormone-injected beef.

But now as an environment secretary he failed to back the exact same amendment when it was tabled by the Labour Party in the House of Commons.

The Tory MP was joined by farming minister Victoria Prentis in voting against the proposals, with the government insisting its bill will retain EU legislation for existing protections on food safety, animal welfare and environmental standards."

and

Environment secretary faces UK farmers’ anger over food standards

https://www.ft.com/content/4a3fbc10-5892-11ea-a528-dd0f971febbc

"Angry farmers booed the newly appointed environment secretary at their annual conference on Wednesday after he failed to provide reassurances on post-Brexit food standards or extra help for those hit by widespread flooding.

The angry reaction from the audience in Birmingham came after George Eustice declined to commit the government to upholding existing UK standards after Brexit in future trade deals that would bar imports of cheap food cultivated in countries, such as the US, that have weaker regulation."

Chianti

Visit site
Environment secretary votes against his own proposals to protect post-Brexit food standards

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/george-eustice-brexit-food-standards-1-6549261

"When Eustice was on the backbenches back in 2019 he tabled an amendment to the Agriculture Bill to try to protect the UK's high animal welfare and food hygiene standards by banning the sale of lower standard foods such as chlorine-washed chicken and hormone-injected beef.

But now as an environment secretary he failed to back the exact same amendment when it was tabled by the Labour Party in the House of Commons.

The Tory MP was joined by farming minister Victoria Prentis in voting against the proposals, with the government insisting its bill will retain EU legislation for existing protections on food safety, animal welfare and environmental standards."

and

Environment secretary faces UK farmers’ anger over food standards

https://www.ft.com/content/4a3fbc10-5892-11ea-a528-dd0f971febbc

"Angry farmers booed the newly appointed environment secretary at their annual conference on Wednesday after he failed to provide reassurances on post-Brexit food standards or extra help for those hit by widespread flooding.

The angry reaction from the audience in Birmingham came after George Eustice declined to commit the government to upholding existing UK standards after Brexit in future trade deals that would bar imports of cheap food cultivated in countries, such as the US, that have weaker regulation."

I'm sorry but what did the farmers who voted for Brexit expect? Did they really think that a Tory govt would care what happens to them. The plan was always to turn to the USA and that means accepting their food standards and cutting subsidies. I know someone from a farming family who all voted to leave. I'll be interested to hear if they regret that in a couple of years.

Parrotperson

Visit site
I'm sorry but what did the farmers who voted for Brexit expect? Did they really think that a Tory govt would care what happens to them. The plan was always to turn to the USA and that means accepting their food standards and cutting subsidies. I know someone from a farming family who all voted to leave. I'll be interested to hear if they regret that in a couple of years.

a friend of mine works for George Eustace. They call him Usless Eustace. ?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Is the "bit" you refer to OP, quite early on in the document where it refers to possible subsidies in respect of keeping "equines" i.e. "native ponies"??? This would I presume refer to people like the RSPB and other charities who keep native ponies on their land as part of a diversity project; there's several of these around near to me where they're keeping Exmoor ponies on the land.

Don't know what other impacts there may be? As usual with anything to do with DEFRA, the whole thing no doubt will be as clear as mud, and there's way too much of that stuff around already!

Thanks for highlighting this OP.