The new kittens thread

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Here's mine. I got kitten envy when another thread was started. We picked him up today. He is desperately tiny for his age, three months, because he had to be taken away from an alcoholic who wasn't feeding him. But he's healthy, and a very bold little fellow. Our tortie and tabby aren't very impressed yet.

IMG_20180830_185749.jpg

Let's see yours!

ycbm

Visit site
He's such a tiny scrap, we're thinking of Skrapp to go with Skratch and Snyff. But he's only been home two hours so we'll see what his character is like. He's very bold, and a complete tart, he'll sleep with anyone. Currently on my chest. :D

texas

Visit site
Poor little soul, glad you have him now. How did that come about?
Arlo is a chest sleeping fan too! Its a bit weird ;)

They like the comfort of your heartbeat I think :) I used to put on a hoodie backwards and tuck mine in the hood in front of me. Being on my chest is still his favourite place now, but he's a bit bigger at 5+kg! Loving the photos :)

ycbm

Visit site
Poor little soul, glad you have him now. How did that come about?
Arlo is a chest sleeping fan too! Its a bit weird ;)

An alcoholic owned the mother and a close relative realised what was going on and rehomed the kittens. Mother has now disappeared so can't be neutered, so there will be more. I can't believe he's three months old, he is so small. And very bony, he's semi long haired so it hides it. Eating well though, and seems pretty healthy.

We need more Arlo pictures!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215736194051872&set=pcb.10215736194291878&type=3[IMG\]

Arlo has some spare tummy if you like?
Thats so sad, poor mummy cat too. I suspect Arlo's mother is probably already expecting again :( They struck me as that kind of people

Oh bloody hell- what have i done wrong now? why is that not a photo

ycbm

Visit site
photo.php

Arlo has some spare tummy if you like?
Thats so sad, poor mummy cat too. I suspect Arlo's mother is probably already expecting again :( They struck me as that kind of people

Oh bloody hell- what have i done wrong now? why is that not a photo

[/img] not [img/] :) ...

photo.php

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
Phone is a standard size, you can see how tiny he is for three months old.

IMG_20180831_195512.jpg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Bless him. Hopefully he’s young enough not to have any lasting effects.
Erm... don’t know if you do Facebook but there’s a ginger cat owners page ;)

ycbm

Visit site
Bless him. Hopefully he’s young enough not to have any lasting effects.
Erm... don’t know if you do Facebook but there’s a ginger cat owners page ;)

No I don't do Facebook, but I've always had a ginger tom. We lost our last one eighteen months ago to heart failure, but he was a bit of a bully and the twins we have changed so much when he left that we gave it a while for them to allow their true characters to emerge. I just think they are different, somehow, so full of character and very interactive. He's asleep on my collar bone atm.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
What’s the deal with kittens and faces? Is this a known thing like the sleeping on chests/round your neck?
It’s Uber cute and has totally sucked me in but Arlo likes to touch noses and will stretch up and gently touch my face (keeping his claws in) seemingly to pull me face down to him to rub noses!?
Is this a cat thing 🐈

ycbm

Visit site
Yup. Skip is currently on my collar bone :D. Necks and faces are a must with kittens.

I found out he's nearly four months old. He looks about eight weeks now w, and he's a good bit bigger than he was last Thursday. He must have been very close to dying.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Head-bumping, nose-to-nose and cheek-rubbing are signs that your cat loves you - woohoo! Kittens like sleeping on or near your chest and neck because they can feel your pulse. I remember watching a documentary on telly about a big cat rescue sanctuary in Africa and they had two tiny orphaned cheetah kits. To simulate mum and to make them feel secure they wrapped a tick-tock alarm clock in a towel and put it in their cage and they snuggled up to it because it feels like a heartbeat.

The first night we had our (now deceased) Amber back in 1999 she slept all night on my head. Literally on the top of my head, like a hat. She was a bit unwell and the vet said it was probably to keep her warm. After that she liked to sleep in the crook of my arm but draped over it, maybe she was feeling my pulse. It was lovely until she got a bit older and heavier and it felt like my arm would necrose and drop off.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ycbm, such a lucky kitten, do you feed him anything in particular or just lots of food?
I wanted Arlo to be less boney and have just used normal kitten food but often, tiny meals whenever I think of it. He’s a pig which has helped a lot.

Beckyflowers that has made my day!! It did seem to be a loving thing but my OH laughed (hard) so I decided I was wrong ☺️

ycbm

Visit site
We feed all our cats ad lib, which means that kitten food is out. I always figured that feral kittens don't get special mice just because they are young. So he's eating vast quantities of Tesco tinned in jelly, which had the older cats' favourite at the moment, and Aldi dry food.

He's doing so well ! When he arrived his lower jaw didn't match his top one and was very under shot. But it's getting bigger and bigger, and nearly matches now. He's starting to play and the other two are beginning to talk to him.

I'm just so pleased he is healthy after what he's been through, poor little mite.

ycbm

Visit site
When he arrived last Thursday

IMG_20180830_195833.jpg

And today. He wouldn't pose at the same angle, but I think you can see the change.

IMG_20180903_203921.jpg

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
These are apparently our two new ones (at least that is what they have decided):

dscf5788.jpg

The mother moved into a derelict barn near by with four kittens, then she took off with the two biggest and left these two behind. They showed up outside our back door mewing their heads off and we fed them, so now we seem to be stuck with them!

I asked around the neighbours and the consensus seems to be that the mother is probably one of the cats of a lady down the road who has been struggling with dementia, her family come around twice a day but the cats are semi-feral and feeding them etc has probably slipped.

The tortoiseshell has been very friendly from the start, the ginger is coming around, we can stroke it now, but it is very nervous. I expect if it had been alone it would have stayed well away from humans.

They now have a special "kitten hole" in one of the outbuildings with a bed etc in there, which means they can be fed in peace without have to deal with chickens and the dog trying to nick their food.

ycbm

Visit site
A boy and a girl, unless you've got an extremely rare ginger female. They are just gorgeous. If you have to have two kittens abandoned on you, you'd want two like that :)