The next generation and history repeating itself? But sadly not at PC Champs

measles

Visit site
Someone commented yesterday that there are very few competition reports for the time of year and as we have actually been out this week - to three shows and many hundred miles - I thought it was time to do a little report.

I have this enormous sense of deja vu as B and his new (two months we've had him) little 12.2hh pony are out jumping baby things as A was at his age and I can see that I have every weekend for the next 10 years committed to shows of various types stretching out in front of me...

Last Sunday we went to our friendly, welcoming RC's club day for what turned out to be a whizz around the CR and the Novice for B and Bobby. After a lovely steady, mum-friendly ;) clear in the CR - thanks to Figjam for her coursewalk :D - they went clear again in the Novice and B was faced with his first ever jump off. (We've been doing CR classes at big venues and concentrating on B and the pony getting to know each other as two months ago B was very nervous over a fence.) My instructions were to go all the long options and "just enjoy yourself" but B seems to have inherited my competitiveness and had himself worked out where the jump off turns were and how he planned to ride them.

Does everyone remember the stomach churning, nervous feeling as you go into the ring? Well, I had it and B was oblivious, kicking on in a determined fashion which made my knees go a strange, wobbly way. I was also blethering a lot of nonsense to the lady beside me, so apologies! I needn't have worried as Bobby was a star and answered every call, giving B just as much as he asked for and went clear again.

See if you can spot them in the photo and guess which place they came

201208191302039.jpg

A lovely blue rosette for 2nd! :) And a delighted small boy...... who then spent the whole way home debating where he could have made up the extra time.. :O

I'm not entirely sure my protestations that he should just enjoy himself and speed doesn't matter at this stage were registered as we went to an unaffiliated SJ evening at our local large venue on Tuesday night (Bobby hadn't jumped for about 3 weeks and only did 3 rounds so achievable for a small pony I think) and did exactly the same time, shooting round for 2nd after a clear in the CR.

This is B saluting to the judge in the high judges box as he thinks that is what showjumpers do after seeing salutes at the Olympics....

201208211714291.jpg

And a few jumping pics

201208211714292.jpg

201208191251342.jpg

Bobby is our new Mr Reliable and the pony every child needs. We found him in Ireland not long ago where he has jumped and he has yet to have a fault jumping with us. I feel extraordinarily grateful to him already.

A's Mrs Reliable, Saffy, chose to be a bit less so at the PC Champs last Friday/Sat where they had a few fences. It's not like her but to be fair to her we haven't jumped much on grass - or at all this year as A has been focussing on producing the young irish horses - and the ground was undulating. The faults she did have were generally as a result of making up too much ground which is a common problem for her despite only being 15.2hh. The other team members didn't have the best show either so A being anchorman was able to school around, and that might also have been a contributory factor. It was tough for the team to be out of the placings after being second last year but they are all still very young and it will I'm sure be character building. As will playing chase the gazebo at 2am in a monsoon and hurricane combined ;)

A few pics

201208171339292.jpg

201208170947383.jpg

So, a mixed week. Can anyone else see my life stretching before me behind the wheel of a lorry....??

Last edited:

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
What a contrast! Loving Bobby and Ben in the line up looking so cute and v pleased Ben has already got that will to win :D

Saffy looks fab as usual, if Andy is lacking time perhaps she can pop down this way and try her hand at eventing!

only_me

Visit site
Very cute pony ;)

Have heard a few reports about the SJ at the champs more suited to the eventers than the pure jumpers - something about being able to handle a few dips? :p But Saffy looks fab - where to next with her?

dafthoss

Visit site
Bless B!! Love him trying to work out how to go quicker and ignoring mums advice :D

What a shame for A and the rest of the team, hope they have a better year next year.

Booboos

Visit site
B and his pony are super cute, especially when saluting the judges like the Olympians!!!

Sounds like you will have your hands full driving/grooming for both of them! Lucky boys!

nikkimariet

Visit site
B and pony look like they're making a great team :)

What a shame about Saffy and A but they look like a fantastic partnership, onwards and upwards!

Nicnac

Visit site
Great report - love the line up photo! Fully understand the jelly legs - I used to ride every stride looking like a right dork when mini me was in the ring.

alwaysbroke

Visit site
What a fab team B and Bobby make, reminds me of the girls first pony they had so much fun with him.

Shame about the champs but A and Saffy look as stylish as ever.

E says Happy Birthday to B and hopes he likes his presents:);)

measles

Visit site
Very cute pony ;)

Have heard a few reports about the SJ at the champs more suited to the eventers than the pure jumpers - something about being able to handle a few dips? :p But Saffy looks fab - where to next with her?

Well, I didn't want to open that conversation but since you mention it the cross country, I mean showjumping arena, had it's challenges. ;)

Not sure what Saffy will be up to next as it's a real challenge getting out as much as we should with her.

measles

Visit site
What a contrast! Loving Bobby and Ben in the line up looking so cute and v pleased Ben has already got that will to win :D

Saffy looks fab as usual, if Andy is lacking time perhaps she can pop down this way and try her hand at eventing!

That is a terrifying prospect! :D She'd come into her own at the stage when it comes down to jumping but the dressage..? A long way back up from the bottom! You are of course welcome to try :D