The next step

OvergrownShetland

Visit site
About a month ago I posted on the competing and training board that since B bolted, had no confidence. I've since invested in some big girl pants, and banished myself to the school to overcome my "lack of control". I feel a lot better for it!!!

Now I am looking to push myself, now that I feel confident enough to walk trot and canter in the school again - but what should I work towards? I don't want to set a goal that I won't be able to achieve, but equally I don't want it to be too easy... Any suggestions welcome!

OvergrownShetland

Visit site
Could you ride in an enclosed field?

The only enclosed field I know of is the one the boys graze in, and the landowner doesn't like us to ride in it, as we have a school to use. I could find one/ask a local farmer to use one once the sheep and lambs are moved to the more open summer grazing. Thank you for your reply

Fransurrey

Visit site
Are there any Trec comps near you? Perhaps ask on your local Faceache page. If not, then I'd get a map and make your goal to reach the edge of it!! ;)

STRIKER

Visit site
You dont go to beginner trec you just go on an endurance ride but non competitive, so you can do the short ride and in your own time. Search fun rides. Any goal is good enough even doing a whole lesson without stirrups is a plus. Getting someone to lunge your horse whilst you ride with no reins is a plus. Everyday is a plus

OvergrownShetland

Visit site
You dont go to beginner trec you just go on an endurance ride but non competitive, so you can do the short ride and in your own time. Search fun rides. Any goal is good enough even doing a whole lesson without stirrups is a plus. Getting someone to lunge your horse whilst you ride with no reins is a plus. Everyday is a plus

Thank you - I though it was done in levels... probably why I couldn't find anything suitable. I'm thinking of filming myself riding a dressage test and sending to to dressage anywhere? Does anyone have any experience of this?

OvergrownShetland

Visit site
Why film a dressage test and send it somewhere ? Don't understand what you are asking really. I take it your horse is a bolter ?

He bolted out on a hack, first time its happened and it knocked my confidence quite badly, so I've shut myself away in the school to work on my confidence. I'm looking for an achievable goal that's something a bit different to what I usually do, which is showing and hacking. I would film a dressage test and send it off as B can sometimes be a tricky loader, so by not opting to go out to a show should keep my confidence up.

Fransurrey

Visit site
The dressage anywhere isn't a bad idea at all. From there you could try a local walk trot test or accompany someone else and take yours for company. Many places accept entries on the day, so who knows, whilst you're there...