The practicalities of a sale

Merri

Visit site
Apologies! Somehow I managed to post in the wrong forum!

I am taking my daughter to look at a pony. On paper, this pony is everything we want and more. If the visit goes well, and the vetting is fine, then I will be making an offer.
However.
The livery yard where will would be keeping the mare has 7 people ahead of us waiting for a stable. It was 10 people two weeks ago, so things appear to be moving along. The owner of the pony said that they wouldn't mind keeping her until a stable comes up, but what is the form with this type of deal? How would we manage the payment? Insurance?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you.

Last edited:

gallopingby

Visit site
If you like the pony and the vetting is OK then I would expect full payment and insurance. You can't expect someone to keep the pony for you whilst you wait for a stable, plenty of people change their minds despite saying they want to buy. If the owner of the pony is prepared to keep they I'd offer to pay for livery at their yard until a place becomes available at your chosen yard. The seller may decide they'll keep the pony for you for a nominal amount but as no one knows how long a piece of string is you do need to have a formal agreement in place.

be positive

Visit site
If you have nowhere to keep her and the owners are happy to do so until a space becomes available that could be fine but does throw up a few concerns, she would become yours following the vetting, the offer needs to be made subject to passing, not afterwards, payment ASAP after vetting to secure the pony, you would then be responsible for insurance and any veterinary care or otherwise that is required.

Other considerations would be that it is hard enough for a child to get to know a new pony without the pressure of the previous owners looking on or remaining in control, they may be really helpful and genuine but it can be tricky if you want to do things differently so be absolutely certain before buying or entering into a livery arrangement, you need to discuss price of livery, they may be happy to keep it a few weeks but it could be months before a space comes up.
I would actually be looking for alternatives now rather than wait for a space on this yard or put viewing ponies on hold until you know you have somewhere, even if it is temporary, to keep one, just because 3 have moved does not mean the other 7 will be so fast.

Merri

Visit site
I would expect full payment and insurance. You can't expect someone to keep the pony for you whilst you wait for a stable,

Oh, I wouldn't expect them to! I just have no clue as how this type of arrangement would work. could you tell me more about what you mean by a formal arrangement, please?

Merri

Visit site
Thank you for your thoughts. We are too far away to look after her ourselves, so it would be a case of her staying with them.

be positive

Visit site
Thank you for your thoughts. We are too far away to look after her ourselves, so it would be a case of her staying with them.

As she is too far will you even be able to ride regularly, if not you seriously need to reconsider as it really could take ages to get her to your yard and the whole point of buying will be lost if your daughter misses the summer yet has a pony living miles away. If you do go ahead make sure she is yours, that you have a receipt to that effect, that you have a proper livery contract in place and that you are totally happy with the arrangement.

Merri

Visit site
As she is too far will you even be able to ride regularly, if not you seriously need to reconsider as it really could take ages to get her to your yard and the whole point of buying will be lost if your daughter misses the summer yet has a pony living miles away. If you do go ahead make sure she is yours, that you have a receipt to that effect, that you have a proper livery contract in place and that you are totally happy with the arrangement.

Thank you for your advice, going to see if we can find a temporary home.

Sophire

Visit site
I would suggest looking for somewhere else to keep the pony. We have had 4 new people within the last month-6 weeks, but prior to that it was well over 6 months since the last livery swap so to speak.