The puppy is ours! Now what to buy....

Cedars

Visit site
Hi guys!

Well just heard today that the puppy is definitely ours!! Extremely excited but also quite nervous!

I'm the sort of person tempted to buy everything just in case she might need something - but I'm guessing with a puppy thats silly! Do you guys have things you recommend we will definitely need/things not to waste money on/things to take with us when we pick her up?

Any help would be great!!!

Hannah
grin.gif

Cedars

Visit site
I'm going to see her on Thursday hopefully so I'll take lots and lots of photos then =]

Any ideas for what to buy though?! She's a black labrador, she'll be 4 months when i pick her up. EEEEEK! Excitement =]

Also, any ideas for names?!?! She has her kennel club name but we cant decide on a nickname!

Hannah xxxxx

Spudlet

Visit site
Shopping list - love doing these when it's not my money I'm spending!!!!

Start saving all your newspapers now for housetraining!
Puppy collar and lead
Bed - she will probably be chewy so you could either use a cardboard box with plenty of blankets or one of those plastic ones, also she will grow like a weed so boxes are cheaper to upgrade for the first few weeks and months!
Bowls for food and water(!)
Old towels and I would take one when you go to get her as if it's her first time in a car she might be a bit travel sick
A dog guard or car harness and boot liner or seat covers
A baby gate if there are any parts of the house you don't want her in until she gets used to the rules
Toys!
grin.gif

Ooo and names... when I was growing up I always wanted a lab called Meg, don't know why!

Don't forget those pics now!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
If she's 4 months when you get her, you'll get her just around the time they usually change to their adult set of teeth, so what you need the most, in big amounts and in all sort of sizes is GNAW-BONES!

She'll soon out grow her puppy collar, so don't spend to much money on that. Unless you buy one that you can change the size on as she grows.

Personally I think they only need one or a few toys, gnaw bones is more important to me.

A dog rug or two is just as good as a bed in the beginning.

Consider getting either a crate or some sort of net that could be used in similar way.

Otherwise I agree with Hanandhen's list. If she does get car sick then next time you take her for a car ride, remember to not feed her for the last two hours before the trip. If that doesn't help, you can ask a vet for travel sickness pills.

Good luck.

Spudlet

Visit site
Thought of another couple of things that probably aren't essential but that I find really handy....

A travel water bowl, which lives in the car or goes into my rucksack on really long walks - really handy in the summer. It's just a fabric one that folds up tiny, it was only a couple of quid.

A little pouch for biscuits
blush.gif
sounds really wet I know but it's good for training cos the biccies are always to hand, stops my pockets from filling with biscuit crumbs and is also handy for walks when I don't have pockets! Again only a couple of quid from pets at home.