The Queen & Grandchildren on Horseback - lovely pic

Funkyfilly024

Visit site
Has the Queen got a thick pad/sheepskin thing over the saddle by the looks of it, that may be a trick to still riding at 85? ;)
As for hat, I wouldnt without but I would say the Queen is old and wise enough to make he own mind up about it.... :rolleyes:

I think its a lovley photo and gorgeous ponies ! :)

JCWHITE

Visit site
I saw this charming picture on line this morning, have just been back and see a picture of 4 in hand driven by the Duke.
Just remind me, are the black ponies Fells or another native breed?

Otter

Visit site
Lovely picture, but hat/no hat discussion is hot news on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13357822

I'm not posting this to start up such a debate here (done a zillion times over), but I am intrigued about the "British Equestrian Health and Safety Association" quoted on the BBC article as, having been "horsey" for nearly 35 years, this is one equestrian body I have never heard of... is the BBC showing itself up?

NU ABO

Visit site
Lovely picture, but hat/no hat discussion is hot news on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13357822

I'm not posting this to start up such a debate here (done a zillion times over), but I am intrigued about the "British Equestrian Health and Safety Association" quoted on the BBC article as, having been "horsey" for nearly 35 years, this is one equestrian body I have never heard of... is the BBC showing itself up?

http://www.behsa.co.uk/

I think I've heard of them vaguely before, and as far as I can tell they're a real equestrian body

hobo

Visit site
It is a lovely photo, I remember the one a few years ago with Queen, Ann and Zara on the coloureds that was also lovely.

skewbald_again

Visit site
to be honest, I dont' see it matters. I can't see some stroppy teen saying 'I'm not wearing a hat cos her majesty the queen doesn't, I insist on wearing a headscarf.'
Be different if it was Zara. And we all know lots of famous people ride without hats on. And lots of pop stars take obscene amounts of drugs. But for the sake of the youngsters I think it's important that the superstars are *seen* to ride with a hat.

skewbald_again

Visit site
I wonder what her reason is, as to why she doesn't wear a hat? She looks amazing for her age though.

I imagine it's because she can!

She's of a generation which never troubled much with hats other than for the look of them, and used to parade in a ceremonial uniform with - I think? - a sort of beret. And no doubt hunted and hurtled around across country as a young'un, hatless.

And anyway, as someone else said, it wouldn't go on over her crown.

diet2ride

Visit site
It's just typical of tabloids to turn a nice picture into another reason for debate and negativity.

I,m sorry but at 85 we should be able to make our own choices for our own health and safety.

Personally I wouldn't get on a horse without a hat, but for riding a bike I think ptooey i don't need a hat.

1stclassalan

Visit site
I wonder what her reason is, as to why she doesn't wear a hat? She looks amazing for her age though.

Once upon a time a certain multi-millionaire was in the cockpit of a very large aircraft being introduced to the pilot - he said "O.K. son, let me have a go" The young pilot looked at the man in dismay - "Can you fly this aircraft sir?" He asked tremulously. "Look son, I have $980 millions - so I think you'll find that means I can do whatever I want."

Rollin

Visit site
I saw this charming picture on line this morning, have just been back and see a picture of 4 in hand driven by the Duke.
Just remind me, are the black ponies Fells or another native breed?

Yes he drives Fells and CB's sadly for the CB he finds the Fells more fun.

If you holiday in Scotland on Royal Deeside it is possible to 'pony trek' on the Queen's Highlands and Fells who are kept at Balmoral and ride on the estate. Not in August when the family are there.

Lots of folk ride in France without hats I think she knows what she is doing.

EAST KENT

Visit site
Exactly,and with the lovely sheepskin saddle saver she has always used it would be difficult to fall out of that anyway.

Walrus

Visit site
Arnt the black ponies "dales" ? and let her maj do what she likes - its her country and off with your heads anyone whom questions her :)

The Royal Family have a long association with Fell ponies. Prince Phillip drove a team of fells and the pony in this picture is a Fell. :)