The Ragwort Fairy

Carlosmum

Visit site
Has anyone used them? A Friend has just had a quote for what is a big job, Fairy has not seen site but estimated from photos 300 man ( or woman ) hrs puling/digging. They have asked for 50% of invoice up front before any work done in order to book the time slot. Is this reasonable? As a farm contractor it is not something we would do. I suggested a deposit of £200 would be fair, another say 50% after day 1 when we can see what sort of job they are doing and remainder at end of job. Its a heck of a lot of money when we don't know what we are getting. Your thoughts would be appreciated

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I could be very wrong, but I am sure just a couple of years back there was a huge carry on about these people charging large amounts and claiming they would be sending their 'work force' in to clear all Ragwort ASAP. It transpired that one somewhat lazy student trying to earn some extra cash was the 'work force' that was sent. It did not end well as I recall. Said student was sent on their way and not one dime was given to the Fairy company in question.

Just to be clear I cannot remember the exact name of the company so this may well be another that works hard and does a great job, but paying by so many man hours does leave you wide open for them to swan off for long coffee breaks, much breast feeding of the ragwort fork while they gaze vacantly into the distance. I would be demanding a set price and thats it. Clear the lot at X amount, don't care within reason how long it takes them but just pay for completed job. I think pay by complete job done rather than number of hours might concentrate the mind and get them putting a bit more speed and effort into the job.

Visit site
A friend used one called The Ragwort Fairy - I don't know where they came from but they weren't based in Scotland anyway. They came up for 3 days, just one person, and grafted for 10 hours a day every day. My friend gave them a bed and meals whilst she was there as well.

Whether it was because it was the Fairy, the friend and her friend all out digging together that made her get on with the job I don't know but she did graft very hard for those 3 days.

L&M

Visit site
Having had 5 acres of ragwort to deal with, and with no matter of pulling or spraying ever getting on top of it, can't think of a worse job to do..........I hope they really do have magical powers!!!!!!

No idea on the finances, sorry but does seem a weird way of charging?

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I would suggest that the solution is to get it sprayed by a professional. Pulling it is a waste of time as even if only tiny fillaments of roots remain it will come up again. Spraying will kill it and it can then be removed off site. It will require annual spraying as there will always be a seed bed of it left in the ground.

Andie02

Visit site
Having had 5 acres of ragwort to deal with, and with no matter of pulling or spraying ever getting on top of it, can't think of a worse job to do..........I hope they really do have magical powers!!!!!!

No idea on the finances, sorry but does seem a weird way of charging?

https://www.progreen.co.uk/problem/ragwort
I have recently come across this company whilst looking for a product to deal with the dreaded horsetail/mares tail. It may be helpful if you are still trying to deal with the ragwort problem.

Reactions: L&M

SusieT

Visit site
If it's a widespread problem I think you'd be better spraying next year rather than trying to get it all pulled at this stage tbh. I can see why they would charge as they do as horsey people are notoriously bad payers- do you agree with their estimate of hours to do it? Can you get references? A written contract?

throwawayaccount

Visit site
If it's a widespread problem I think you'd be better spraying next year rather than trying to get it all pulled at this stage tbh. I can see why they would charge as they do as horsey people are notoriously bad payers- do you agree with their estimate of hours to do it? Can you get references? A written contract?

yep..concurred!!

when I was a teenager looking to make extra pennies for my pony, I used to pull ragwort from fields for £5 an hour!!

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I would suggest that the solution is to get it sprayed by a professional. Pulling it is a waste of time as even if only tiny fillaments of roots remain it will come up again. Spraying will kill it and it can then be removed off site. It will require annual spraying as there will always be a seed bed of it left in the ground.

I agree with this. I spent hours and hours every summer trying to dig it up, including pouring salt in the holes left to destroy any remaining root, spraying with Grazon and Barrier H etc. etc. Two years ago we had all 13 acres professionally sprayed mid spring, apart from the inconvenience of having to keep the horses off it all until every trace of plants had gone, it was the best decision we could have made.

This year I have noticed we have a few popping up here and there, so we will be getting it all sprayed again next spring. Some people have a lot of success keeping it at bay by allowing sheep to graze the land, they will eat the small rosettes. Unfortunately I don't have the financial funds to sheep proof fence all three fields.

scruffyponies

Visit site
If you have a big problem then the easiest and most ecologcally sound method is to wait until it starts to flower, top the lot, and keep livestock off it for 3 months. You will have the odd bit coming back, but it will get rid of 90%+.
There comes a point when pulling by hand is not feasible... and I say this as someone who pulls about half a tonne of the stuff most years.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Sheep are the best, grazing from early in the year into spring (depending on climate and how soon “spring” happens where you are).

Pulling ragwort isn’t just backbreaking, it’s flipping dangerous stuff both to touch and breathe in, and inhaling any smoke from burning it. There was a thread on here years ago about someone’s OH collapsing and ending up in hospital after a day of pulling/burning ragwort.

I’ve felt really unwell after pulling it. I’d want huge amounts of money before I did it for anyone else.

Carlosmum

Visit site

Its been a problem for many years, has been pulled/sprayed/topped etc. Unfortunately the worst areas are on the side of a field bank which is not accessible with a sprayer or topper, which is why she is thinking of having the whole lot pulled.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Our 5 acres was absolutely cover in the stuff when we first took it on. Some of the plants were taller than me (I'm 5ft2 on a tall day) and like tree trunks. 2 of us cleared an area big enough to put the ponies on temporarily and then worked from there outwards. We didn't spray or use any chemicals. Just ragwort forks and muscle.
We did get help in. 2 ladies came and did 20 barrow loads at a cost of £4.50 a barrow but if you hadn't seen the pile they left me to burn you would not of known they had touched it to be honest. We roped in my (then) teenage kids and their friends in return for a BBQ and beer. Yes - I got kids drunk in return for slave labour! But we cleared the lot before it went to seed and the following year we cleared the rosettes as we saw them. We now just have 1 corner that's needs clearing and the odd plant here and there, but no more than a barrow load or 2 a year.

On a side note, I also contacted the highways and had them come out and clear the verges on the roads around the field as they were really bad. They came with a team of about 5 blokes and hand pulled all of it.

Andie02

Visit site
If you find a way to kill horsetail tell me

Sent for the SBK Brushwood Killer and the Kplus as well as other products for our garden, arrived yesterday. It has many good reviews for getting rid of the horsetail. I will try and remember to let you know how we get on, though only time will tell with it. I pulled some of it recently so will have to wait for regrowth on those areas to treat it.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It's overtaken my garden. Been there since before the house was built. Only way I've managed to control it is putting the area to lawn and mowing very short for several years. Once took a couple of feet depth of topsoil away from one part and replaced it and it still came back. I've give up now really. My solution is to hide it in a mass of bigger plants and just bash and spray that that sneaks through the drive.

exracehorse

Visit site
Just bumping this as I've seen a few posts locally that people (clients and staff) have lost money in lost deposits and outstanding unpaid wages. Don't try and deal with this company, you will not see your money again.

Crikey. Funny enough I haven’t seen them advertising as much this spring /summer

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Has anyone used them? A Friend has just had a quote for what is a big job, Fairy has not seen site but estimated from photos 300 man ( or woman ) hrs puling/digging. They have asked for 50% of invoice up front before any work done in order to book the time slot. Is this reasonable? As a farm contractor it is not something we would do. I suggested a deposit of £200 would be fair, another say 50% after day 1 when we can see what sort of job they are doing and remainder at end of job. Its a heck of a lot of money when we don't know what we are getting. Your thoughts would be appreciated
With 9 acres to do, I was going to use them till I found out they need £ 160 something per fairy per day, way to much for me so I am doing mine with a help of liveries its a tiring job but we do a little every day.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Our local shepherdess grazes her sheep all over the area and electric fences the places which aren’t fenced so might be worth looking to see if there is someone similar in your area

Sossigpoker

Visit site
DO NOT PAY THE RAGWORT FAIRY/FAIRIES!
The company has gone bust and has been struck off from the companies house, but the owner is still taking deposits without any intention of doing the work !
People are owed thousands by this business !

Just one of the many warnings about this business /woman
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.