The Secret to Breaking a Horse

Weezy

Visit site
Is to exhaust it before you do anything to it"

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That quote was just made on The Stable Life - I am TOTALLY shocked and rather outraged
mad.gif

Never seen this before!

druid

Visit site
crazy.gif
Horrid...and not the wya a youngster shoudl be introduced to life. I knwo some places stop all feeding bar hay/grass so there's no excess energy but to purposely tire a horse out before backing/breaking is rather mean hearted

loopeepee

Visit site
Ah. . . . total idiots is all I will say!

Although I did click on here thinking, 'ohhh, will find out some interesting information regarding breaking a horse!!'

Weezy

Visit site
Well the producers are a bunch of numpties - they cannot even tell the difference between straw and shavings - it makes me so cross, I could produce a TV programme a million times better than this AND get the facts right *and breathe*

spaniel

Visit site
I watched last week for the first time and have to say I was embarrased at how awful the prog is. I shant be tuning in again.

Weezy

Visit site
TBH the woman didnt exhaust it and worked it well on long reins, but the voice over person needs shooting, plus you would think, as an on-going business concern, they would view and approve all content?

jemima

Visit site
Hmm - well we are feeding our mare nothing but grass and hay and will continue to do so for as long as she's fit and fat and happy on it. Mind you she is ad lib on both!

I'm afraid I really can't see the point though of feeding up an animal and getting it on it's toes when you want it to be calm and receptive of new ideas. It would strike me that many difficult horses become a lot less difficult when returned to a "basic" grass diet.

Hanz

Visit site
My gelding is on Haylege and grass all winter, he goes through the roof with any kind of concentrate. I think as long as there healthy and happy theres no need to chang anything. Dont fix it if it isn't broken.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Yerh lunging/long reining for my lad is a must to get him just concentrating, listening and repsonding but knackering is quite a different thing! I guess is just the clueless speaking man!

Fiona

Visit site
I have quite enjoyed this programme the 3 or 4 times I have seen it. My impression is that the programme makers know nothing about horses, which is reflected in the odd "cringe-worthy" bit, but the rest is OK.
I really admired Nadia's lunging off 2 reins in a previous episode. She was jogging behind the horse and was able to do a serpentine in the school, crossing the appropriate lunge rein over the horse's back as she changed direction. I was very impressed by this skill, I know I would end up tied up in knots if I tried.

Fiona

severnmiles

Visit site
I have heard this, infact a certain high flying BSJA highupper ties his horses to a moving tractor for the night before breaking them....can you believe it???? I've also heard lots about taking away food and taking away water....
mad.gif

The secret, the only secret is gaining 110% of the horses trust, if you have that you have little to worry about, its also a time thing, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Pidge

Visit site
can't believe they actually let this go out, there must be so many impressionable people out there who will believe what they see....... GRRRRRR Watched it last week as I was at mum's, thank god I haven't got it here at home don't think my blood pressure could stand it!

Fiona

Visit site
As you said earlier - I would have imagined that they would have had a say in the voice over/editing of the programmes before they were aired.

Obviously not though.

Fiona

filly190

Visit site
I watched the programme and felt that the presenter just did not know anything about horses and her script obviously was'nt looked over. She mentioned loading straw into the horse box when it was shavings and said a few other little comments as well.

Unfortunatley because of the poor presenter it totally spoilt the programme. I think a few complaints to the t.v company on their presenters lack of knowledge and saying the wrong thing would rectify the problem.