The stupidest thing you did- horse wise.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The wire cutters post brought this one back...
When I was a teenager and had a wonderful amazing pony who jumped anything in front of him. Sadly he didn’t load or travel so it was a pretty useless skill.
There was a little gang of us around the same age with ponies and we had great fun hooning round the countryside. There was a gate, a lovely 5 bar wooden gate that we always wanted to jump, so one day we did. I gave a lead having the only definite jumper and over the 4 of us sailed.
We hadn’t however taken much notice of the awful landing. It was fine though. All survived. Had a blast round the field and tried to pop back out... epic fail. Although my pony jumped anything he had self preservation and wasn’t entertaining the idea of a 6’ out of mud and stone into a dark forest area.
Without him leading no one else had a hope.
After ages, we untacked, let them go and probably cried a bit.
Heard a horse coming along the bridle way, flagged it down, got a lift back to the livery yard (literally the let me sit on the back behind their saddle.. wtf?)
YO tried calling land owners who were on holiday. So sent me back on foot with wire cutters, cut the ponies out and returned home. Tails between our legs.
YO made us apologise profusely and pay for fencing repair. The guy refused and found it funny luckily.
What absolute idiots on all levels! ?‍♀️
Have you ever done anything that you look back in and just think “what the hell”

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I took my sharp horse out hacking today on his own for the first time at new yard, having not been ridden in three days, freshly clipped and in the AM so had been in overnight. I knew there would be lots of bikes which are a work in progress for him, it was absolutely blowing a gale and raining for about the first 10 mins. A lot of people would say that's dim. I just knew I wanted fresh air and thought sod it, you don't know what's going to happen until it happens - we were out for 1.5 hours and had 98% a great time!

katastrophykat

Visit site
That would be hopping onto my 16.1 fit, 6 yo homebred, hatless, halfway through a lunge lesson teaching my then 6 yo stepson to canter, because said homebred found it boring and had switched off.
Then having woken him up a little, asking for the tiny cross to be put up a touch... hatless... and when friend popped it up to about 3’, and suggested I borrow her hat, replied ‘it’s Gunner, I mean, what’s the worst that could happen?’

answer?

a fairly spectacular rotational fall, a collarbone in about 14 bits, 4 ops, and three sets of metalwork later, I have DVT throughout said arm and am on lifelong thinners.

Apparently that was the answer...

TPO

Visit site
Fresh in my memory (& bruises) is stupidly letting Fat Cob walk behind me when bringing in tonight.

Theres a mudslab path from big field through wee field into the barn. They come in loose, single file every night.

Tonight I walked behind Neurotic TB with Fat Cob behind me and the $@#€!&% decided he wanted in quicker. All 700kg (that's him 300kg lighter!! Its a work in progress) of him barged straight over the top of me and sent me flying off the slabs into the mud. How I stayed upright I don't know but he took the wind right out of me, bruised my back and shook up all my internal organs. I think some are still ricochetting ?

All my fault, I know you never turn your back especially not with a bargy horse with "issues" and I'd become very complacent. Ibuprofen have been consumed and lessons have been learnt!

crazyandme

Visit site
Maybe 12 years ago, sister had a NF cross that could really buck when she was still not fully warmed up (in hindsight, very likely PSSM, but wasn't really a known "thing" then). In my teenage wisdom I decided it was a great idea to jump on this pony with no saddle, bridle or hat and go for a gallop. Only steering was from a leadrope. Thankfully she didn't deck me!
Or it could have been the time I decided to tighten my girth whilst cantering along a nice wide grassy track doing a 40km ride on my Sec D... luckily she kept nice and straight so I didn't slide off in the process!

When we were kids we used to mess about pretending to ride side saddle by hooking one leg over the pommel.
One day I thought it would be fun to canter doing this; the pony went faster and faster until I fell off backwards

Done this many a time, thankfully only fell off maybe twice doing it!?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Sadly it happened. That pony was a star!
Reminds me of an incident in my youth when my friend's pony took fright at a bus and jumped a hedge into a field with a padlocked gate. We couldn't get him out again so asked at all the houses until we found who owned the field and could let him out.

Ceifer

Visit site
Riding without a hat. Spent a year abroad and it was the done thing back then. Rode all sorts and jumped. Not big, not clever. Wouldn’t do it again. Especially hit home a few years ago when I had a very bad jumping accident. Thankfully I was wearing a hat, if I hadn’t I probably would have been killed.

shamrock2021

Visit site
It’s more embarrassing than anything when I first got my mare I was convinced that she was pregnant I was expecting to get see foal one morning. I was young (teenager) and I listened to many people telling me she was . So I convinced my mother to get a vet to look at her . Turn out she wasn’t pregnant biggest waste of money.

millikins

Visit site
I've had a glass of wine so I'll own up to this one. Took small driving pony out for a walk and decided to hop on. No saddle, no neck strap, no hat. Pony trotted off, nothing worse and with virtually nothing under me I went straight out the back :( I landed flat on my back and hit my head hard enough to see stars. Unbelievably stupid.

HashRouge

Visit site
Tried to ride back from the field carrying a bucket full of stuff and no hat. Horse panicked about the bucket and bucked me off. I landed on my lower back and had to crawl home. I managed to get the horse back in the right field somehow but I then couldn't walk properly for a week and had to lie to my mum about what had happened (I was 17) so she didn't yell at me for being an idiot!

BBP

Visit site
Tied a horse to a 5 bar gate, just for a minute. Horse pawed at the gate, got its leg caught, pulled back and ripped whole gate off. Incredibly horse had not a scratch (tank of a cob) but could have ended horrendously. Definitely a learning point.

Other one was deciding to ride BBP (notoriously sharp) on a pitch dark night, completely tackless, not even a neck rope. BBP is jet black so it’s like riding nothing, and is super shiny and slippery. To his credit he was very good, we were having lots of fun, but it still ended up with a trip to A&E and cracked ribs.

planete

Visit site
I decided to move a fairly heavy fencing unit from my bottom field to my top field. It was a long steep slope, there was a handle on top of the unit. My patent safety jack-of-all-trades cob was grazing nearby so I hopped on bareback carrying the unit in one hand and holding the lead rope in the other. i asked him to move on, the unit made a slight clinking sound and I got the ejector seat. Dusted myself down, retrieved unit and cob and got back on. Well, as you may have guessed, I got the ejector seat again and lay winded on the ground trying to get my lungs to work again. No I did not try a third time, there are some limits to my stupidity!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I actually did one last week was lunging and waved the whip a bit too much at the one that reacts to whips, he ran off bucked and because I was then almost behind him he got his back leg over the lunge line, so I had to let go and run to shut the make shift gate that is currently on the menage as the other one fell off, I don't use the make shift gate as the wind blows it over and scares the crap out of them, he galloped round with the lunge line trailing terrifying himself he eventually ran to me shaking looking for help, no harm done but it could have been worse!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
As a teen/early 20s, the livery yard I was at was huge and had a legendary adults only xmas party...

Much alcohol was consumed, all were merry, when someone had the bright idea to go pony racing in the snowy fields, bareback and with halters. The adults who owned the ponies were present, it was a moonlit night, really bright with the newly laid snow. Everyone gave consent, so proceedings were moved out to the fields.

I did at least have the sense to wear a hat!

No ponies were harmed in the making of this merriment.