The things you find in the bed.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Horse ones of cause:)

I just skipped my boy out at 10.15pm just now and the fork made a tinkering sound under the poo as I was shaking it before putting it in the poo bucket. Went outside and dropped what was on the fork and gradually picked up poo rattling as I went. This is what I ended up with - a piece of metal that was in my boys bedmax not a good thing to find.
20180315_2211371_zpsajj3bvxc.jpg

In my mares bed before Xmas I found this in her Euro bedding Not happy to find this
20171220_091752_zpscyu7dhws.jpg

Lastly and I am pleased about this one, my mare rubs her neck againts the door so now have to undo her neck cover buckles (she wears turnout at night) I found her buckle.
20171110_082043_zpsalrzeobe.jpg

All in all that is two metal objects unwanted within the bedding, not good to find in a product designed for comfort

asmp

Visit site
We buy our haylage from our farmer and often find things that shouldn't be in there, including a bit of metal like the one you found. This week's was a mummified baby bird!

eggs

Visit site
We buy our haylage from our farmer and often find things that shouldn't be in there, including a bit of metal like the one you found. This week's was a mummified baby bird!

I thought my lab was eating some of the rubber from the school yesterday but when I went to take it out of his mouth I found that it was a mummified baby bird.

Horsekaren

Visit site
I was lucky enough to find a crushed open bottle of human caffeine pills in my boys hay once. I was not pleased, 30 of the tablets were missing... maybe eaten, maybe not... called the vet and they advised to keep an eye on him... later that day he ran through a gate... maybe coincidence ... maybe not!

have been really carful to check ever since.

Embo

Visit site
I've found a long bit of wiry metal in my bedding before. Really not good, does make you wonder how it gets in there.

Also found a mummified frog in hay.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I've found a long bit of wiry metal in my bedding before. Really not good, does make you wonder how it gets in there.

Also found a mummified frog in hay.

Makes me wonder too how it get's in the bedding when it is supposed to be broken down wood pieces and bit's of metal like this would have damaged the machinery you would have thought.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
In my mares bed before Xmas I found this in her Euro bedding Not happy to find this
20171220_091752_zpscyu7dhws.jpg

Looks very much like a tent peg.

Last year, I fished several housebricks and a couple of big chunks of concrete out of Typhon's straw.

But that was his own fault: he demolished his manger (concrete built into the corner) kicked the bricks out of the wall by the door.

Last edited:

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
I found half a squashed adder in one bale and a big flat hedgehog in a straw bale, I've had a few odd bits of metal over the years that resembled bits off Farm machinery so I do make sure I have a good look through it all before I feed it.

SEL

Visit site
Recently something that looked a bit like a squashed metal curry comb in the hay bale. Probably gone via a muck heap to the hay field I guess.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've had a few mummified slow worms in my hay this year :(

Shame, I love them when they're alive and slithering about. Wrong place at the wrong time for them.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Have you thought about contacting Bedmax? They may want to try and determine how that got into their product. They may also offer you a free bale or a voucher as compensation and for bringing it to their attention.

Snowfilly

Visit site
A lead rope in a bale of straw, clip rusted together...and a pair of very frilly French knickers in another!

Sadly, lots of small dead creatures over the years. Know someone who found a £20 note though

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
Well it's been a while since I last mucked out or set a bed but over the years I've found most of the things above - dead hedgehogs, rats both alive and dead, lumps of assorted metal - a baler will merrily chew most of them up and pack them in a bale without turning a hair.
One thing I would caution is - when in doubt - everything out! A friend of mine once recounted how her Vet had just visited and lost the needle he was about to use - my usual advice fell on deaf ears and in the morning her mare had the needle embedded in her tongue!