The wrong breed for the job

Rapidash

Visit site
Just had an idle thought: does anyone use the "wrong" breed for a job? As in does anyone use a border collie to retrieve game? Or a Pomeranian for ratting? Or a dachshund for agility?

Just curious if what breed a dog is has such an effect on their character that a herding dog could never be a gundog, for example.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
There was an interesting article about this in the autumn/winter Crufts magazine - I only know this because my dog featured in it! The wording is not my own and I'm still slightly miffed that they glossed over the fact that she is a sled dog as well. :p

sya6ol.jpg

I don't have the full page scan, sorry, but IIRC they featured a border collie and American cocker who both worked as gundogs and mentioned again the team of Irish setter/Irish red and white setters that work as sled dogs, I think they appeared on a previous front cover of the same magazine.

3Beasties

Visit site
My equine dentist has a border collie that he takes shooting. She loves beating and although not keen on picking up she will stand by the fallen birds (can't think of the proper term for it but hopefully you know what I mean!)

{97702}

Visit site
There was an interesting article about this in the autumn/winter Crufts magazine - I only know this because my dog featured in it! The wording is not my own and I'm still slightly miffed that they glossed over the fact that she is a sled dog as well. :p

sya6ol.jpg

I don't have the full page scan, sorry, but IIRC they featured a border collie and American cocker who both worked as gundogs and mentioned again the team of Irish setter/Irish red and white setters that work as sled dogs, I think they appeared on a previous front cover of the same magazine.

Stop showing off there BC :p :) :)

SuperH

Visit site
When I met my husband he had a collie who worked cattle and would also work as a gun dog. He would also fetch deer. He once fetched the cattle belonging to a neighbour too, ours had escaped and so he kept on going until he found something to bring back. He would do anything in his prime, super all round working dog.

I would be interested to hear if anyone uses a lab as a cattle dog as I've been trying to talk my husband into trying one next time.

Copperpot

Visit site
My JRT is part of a gundog display team and competes quite successfully at obedience.

The little swines can do anything ☺️ Up until she died a few weeks ago, I used to take mine to the old people's home to visit my Nan. He used to sit on all the old folks knees and munch the shortbread they would give him.

An hour later he'd be down the stables killing the rats. They are such versatile little dogs.

Woody Le Bois

Visit site
Please don't laugh but I take my Bichon Frise shooting. He is an excellent beater, tries to fetch the fallen birds but he is not strong enough so tries to drag them if not fallen in thick grass or bushes. He also comes hacking with me, often for 2 hours or more without a problem. He is an unisual boy :)

planete

Visit site
A lady I worked for years ago had a whippet cross greyhound who used to bring the sheep in calmly and efficiently. Not something I would try with my lot.

fankino04

Visit site
Many years ago I was walking my malamute in the wilds of Northumberland and had thought that there was no livestock where we were so she was off lead when suddenly around a corner we came across a flock of sheep and she raced over to them and promptly hearded them into the corner of the field, even putting 1 back when it tried to make a break for it, we had her since she was 12 weeks old and had never been around sheep to learn this. It was so odd and I was so lucky that she wasn't spotted by any farmer running up to them ��.

Alec Swan

Visit site
It would be unlikely that a dog which wasn't bred to do a specific job would do that job as the purpose bred animal, BUT, if a dog, purpose bred or not does the job that we ask of it, who cares?! We had a pet pig, about10 years ago and she (Charlotte) lived behind electric netting. In the same field were a few sheep, she hopped over the netting, and we went to put her back. She had a high old time of things and 'held' the sheep in the corner of the field. She did it several times, so it wasn't a fluke. We put a stop to her games, and she went in the freezer! I rather missed Charlotte, for a while!

Alec.

irishdraft

Visit site
The little swines can do anything ☺️ Up until she died a few weeks ago, I used to take mine to the old people's home to visit my Nan. He used to sit on all the old folks knees and munch the shortbread they would give him.

An hour later he'd be down the stables killing the rats. They are such versatile little dogs.

My JR used to help our collies drive the sheep he was also good at getting reluctant equines to go thru gates by nipping their heels miss that little dog

pippixox

Visit site
my GSD attempts to be a ratter in my hay barn! in 1 year of trying everyday he has caught one rat!
I know a GSDxHuskey who goes out with the shoot, although I don't think she does anything- just goes with everyone as her owner does beating and has a springer spaniel to actually work.

ecrozier

Visit site
I was told by a friend who shoots that at some point last year there was an article in Field magazine about Portuguese Water Dogs being used as retrievers - technically they are utility dogs having originally worked the nets with fishermen, but mine would make an excellent gun dog if someone bothered training him! He's very trainable and a natural retriever, and quick and a very strong swimmer :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My lot are all sheep.......herders.....:eek3:

Going to do some cold game training with them this holiday, can't wait! Have a couple of brace of pheasant, some of which were hung then frozen, don't really fancy eating them myself!

Alec Swan

Visit site
…….. , I also had a Dobe that used to point.

It's surprising just how many dogs, even those which aren't breed-specific hunters, which point. Having had many Spaniels which do it, I suspect that it's the moment when cat-like, they're going to pounce.

I like dogs which 'point', it shows a degree of self control, and thought too! I once had a GSD who would point, and maintain his stance for some while. He was a very useful animal, in just about every way imaginable!

Alec.

Last edited:

maggiesmum

Visit site
I know of an american company that trains protection dogs that are currently working with an airdale. :D
And there was a picture on FB the other day of a lurcher on a shoot, although apparently he only picks up when he feels like it lol