The Zara thing again! *RANT*

Nic

Visit site
Following on from an extremely patronising letter in my local paper the following has just been fired in their direction:

Mr G Dunlop clearly has no understanding of eventing what so ever. If only it was as easy as, he so patronisingly put it, "jumping around on a horse".

I doubt Mr Dunlop could grasp the amount of hard work put in by event riders not to mention the blood sweat & tears that go into a sport that has little, if any, financial reward.

Eventers can't take to the gym when temperatures drop to sub zero. And if they want a holiday or a long lie tough! The horses welfare comes first, in all weathers, from long before dawn til long after dusk. It goes beyond complete and utter dedication, it is a way of life that requires serious sacrifices.

Eventing requires not only the best from riders, but also that they are able to work in complete harmony with their horses. Zara has brought Toytown through the ranks from the lowest level to where they are today, an achievement that no one should belittle.

Eventing is one of the most dangerous sports in Britain (yes, more so than boxing Mr Dunlop!) and when Sherelle Duke, a friend of Phillips, died after a fall at horse trials in Brockenhurst, Zara wanted to attend her funeral, but promised Duke's family and boyfriend that she would win the gold medal as a tribute to the Northern Ireland rider - and kept her word.

If that does not qualify her for Sports Personality Of the Year then what does?

Clearly he would not approve of anyone other than a boxer winning anyway.

To reach the top in eventing requires complete trust between horse and rider, the confidence and grace to take part in dressage, accuracy and control in showjumping and the nerves & stamina to hurtle yourself at solid obsticles or off huge drops at 35 mph at Cross Country, not something achievable by just "jumping on a horse"

So would Mr Dunlop have the guts to try eventing? If so please let me know, but I won't hold my breath.

Oh and incase he hasn't guessed - I voted for her!

Zara Phillips, European and World Champion at the age of 25, need I say more.

They better print it after that!!!!
grin.gif

horsegirl

Visit site
I understand what you are getting at although I doubt very much that Zara and the other top eventers.jumpers/etc do all the hard work in all weathers long before dawn til long after dusk. I think it is great that she won she deserves it but you are not going to convince those who disagree with letters like this.

KatB

Visit site
So, and you're telling me that other sportspeople do!?? Zara still works bl**dy hard and if there is ANY way we can get this agross, fantastic!!
grin.gif

bellgave

Visit site
AGGGHHHHHHHHHHH these twits would be so much happier if the fat darts player had won, so much more skill sitting in a pub drinking beer and throwing a dart, oh yeah, thats a sportsman!!!!!!

lorenababbit

Visit site
well said and my self and high powered equestrian journalist Pippa cuckson have both been on radio 5 saying these things as well and quite frankly it is a shame that BE and the BEF have let eventing's profile get so low that these people are forced to be ignorant.

horsegirl

Visit site
Well not exactly but obviously althetes who only use their own body power have to do all the work themselves. I'm not saying it's right or that nic01 is wrong I', just not sure what the letters will achieve

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I agree with everything you've been saying but I have to admit that Zara Phillips did not do herself justice at the awards ceremony.

Her 'speech' was pathetic, so she didn't prepare anything but anyone could have done a better job than she did. She made no reference to her horse, her back up team, the people who voted for her, nothing. Her demeanour was poor & as a result we have seen what alot of people thought printed in the various papers & websites.

The comments printed were biased & ill informed but she had an ideal opportunity to sell herself & the sport & she failed miserably on all counts.
frown.gif

cazcrazyjonty

cazcrazyjonty.tripod.com
that was b***dy well sed i think the shame would he like to go round a xc course i bet he would just faint walking the course never mind riding round it

i had ppl who do this they dnt think riding is a sport i think its just a fun little hobbie to keep ppl happen

the work the money the pressure that goes into eventing and the also fat of injurys and the risk he can bl**(y p**s off as he doesnt no what he is talking about

he needs to go into the season when it begins and go and look at an advacned track and then lets see what he has to say x x x xx