Theraplates

emfen1305

Visit site
Has anyone had any experience using them in terms of renting/taking a horse to use one rather than buying their own? I wondered whether they were worth it for one off sessions or whether it is something you need to keep up on a regular basis to show a difference. Just finding more ways to unnecessarily pamper the horse!

Asha

Visit site
Im really interested in seeing some replies to this. We went to a demo at Bolesworth a couple of weeks back and theraplate where there. I stood on it for a minute ( as did many others) and couldn't help wondering how on earth you get a horse to stay on them . But from the photos on FB they seem to ! Im always massively sceptical about things like this, but then I was sceptical about acupuncture and that worked for my back.

Ceifer

Visit site
I think there are pretty genuine concerns from some professionals about the effect of the force on healing soft tissues.
That and their conduct on social media would not incline me to ever use one.

I am also keen to hear what people think.
And as Ester says their conduct on social media is less than professional.
I half expect their next claim on there is to raise the dead.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I have been vaguely interested in them but they have no scientific back up (from what I can see) to their claims. The photos they use just show regular healing to me if I can see anything at all!! Someone at my yard was going to hire one and offered me to join but I declined

whiteflower

Visit site
I am also keen to hear what people think.
And as Ester says their conduct on social media is less than professional.
I half expect their next claim on there is to raise the dead.

This every time I see another advert it claims to 'heal' something else. I think the way they market it is worrying and I haven't seen any scientific evidence that it works, just some people who have used it singing it's praises. I wouldnt put my horse near one

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
I bought one in the US and brought it with me. It works like literally every single other therapy device- the basic principle is increasing circulation to the effected area. It also feels nice, and the idea is the direction on the vibrations (more lateral, less vertical) is less jarring on the horse. There are two main vibe platforms in the US, and the Equivibe is a vertical/concussive device. In moderation, this motion can stimulate osteoclasts and encourage bone strengthening. Saw some interesting bone scan/MRI data from a rehab facility that my horse's chiro worked out of. Too much of the vertical concussion can also shut the osteoclasts down. The Theraplate is the sort that you get the benefits, and you can't "overdose" them, so it's safer for an amateur to use.

To offset the costs of the plate I purchased, I offered it as a service to the folks at my yard. It must be pleasant because of the six other horses I serviced, they stood very nicely on it after the second session. I also had a friend who had ACL reconstruction surgery do a session because she could verbalize how she felt, and she said if nothing else, she felt more limber and the pain was gone. Whether that was some sort of vibratory analgesic (like the effect you get from using a TENS machine on tense muscles) or the effect of increased circulation, I can't tell you.

I believe it does increase circulation and encourage growth in all sorts of ways- my horse was on a 3-week trim schedule when I used it regularly. Grew hoof like a FIEND. She had a foot and tendon issue, not a bone issue, but it certainly helped her. There are likely limits, I don't believe anything is a cure all. There is no substitute for good diet/training/management at injury prevention. I also think the Theraplate is something that is mostly beneficial when used routinely- you won't see massive speed increase in healing a ligament injury just from one session, but in theory regular stimulation and increase of circulation would over time produce better results than not doing it?

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
http://teamtheraplate.com/Studies.html

Here is a load of studies on vibration and other people. But I agree with you- hardly any of this is actually the Theraplate, it's just vibration as a concept. I think some of their claims could be established, based on my anecdotal experience, if they put a little more instrumentation/imaging and work into data collection for case studies.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
My horse was on a 2/3 week trim cycle just riding 😂, don’t think I could cope with any more!

You can’t call it vibration! They get very cross if you do that :p!

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
My horse was on a 2/3 week trim cycle just riding 😂, don’t think I could cope with any more!

You can’t call it vibration! They get very cross if you do that :p!

Lol, the conduct of the channel to market in this country is something else entirely. I won't touch that with a ten foot pole. The parent company are not very good at marketing. I still say I like the product though.

emfen1305

Visit site
Thanks all, i just saw it advertised and wondered whether it was worth it. Horse in question doesn't have an injury but it looked like it was being marketed as a nice thing for the horse, bit like a spa day so just wondered! Think I'll save my money!

RachaelJC

Visit site
Depending on where you are located, Hannah Doggett at Paramount Dressage in the North West has just got one and is offering trial sessions. Maybe you could test it out