Very sorry to hear of your news. My mare had a stillborn and I was devastated, stud where she foaled think that oxygen was cut off during foaling. Was a little filly and apparently was perfect. This was my second try after she conceived twins the year previous and after having one pinched the other was fine in early scans but then was lost very early.
I was ready to give up, she was my only horse and I was totally cheesed off with the whole breeding idea. Stud owner told me not to give up, he was fantastic with everything so decided to give it one my try. Eleven months later I got my perfect little filly. It is so gut wrenching to get so far, wishing you all the best of luck for the future x
I rarely come on here any more but heard about poor you and Dolly, and had to come and say I'm thinking of you.
I worried myself to bits breeding off Asti as she's a once in a lifetime mare for me and I bred her too, so it wasn't a light decision to take, but I know how gutted I'd be if I lost her so breeding Finn was always intended to make it easier when that time comes, as I'll always have a special piece of her.
It is terribly sad, poor Dolly and baby, but don't give up x
Thankyou all of you, for your advice and kind thoughts. Good news is, Dolly is coming home in the morning. If an orphan foal is not found by the time I collect her, our foal will be taken for cremation and I will let her milk dry up and get her back out with her friends.
Theresa, don't give up. I had a mare who lost her first foal 8 months into the pregnancy. I came to feed one night and almost trod on perfect little tobiano filly by Orlando. The vet also said placentitis (probably Herpes - but there was no post mortem). Anyway, it was dreadful at the time, but the mare went on to have 3 very gorgeous foals, one of which is now a strapping 4 year old and I am very proud to say I will be showing at the Suffolk Show in the IDHS sports horse class.
Thankyou Ginnie. As it stands at the moment, I think once she is home and ready, I will bring her back into work and we will go out and have fun. I will take rest of the year to have a good hard think, then next year try again if I think I can do it. If I do try again, family and friends have said they will help me watch her round the clock from 320 days, and if that is just not possible, then she will go away to foal.
I have followed Dolly's progress and am so heartbroken to hear your news. I feel so guilty having my little one and so privaledged to have been blessed with her and it breaks my heart to hear of your loss.
I was so sorry to read this thread, when I saw the title I clicked on hoping to see your little foal had been born. I was sad to see the reverse was true. I had followed her through your updates and knew how excited you were. My condolences.
If you do go for it agian then I would strongly advise that you have her Pneamabort (sp!!)jabs done at 5,7,9 mths they help to guard against EHV and if she has been exposed this time then she will be a risk next year. A friend of mine lost their foal at the same stage as your last month. That mare had raised EHV titres and vet has advised the jabs for efery pregnacy in future. She is already back in foal. All of our mares are done as a matter of routine, it costs about £120 I think.
glad dolly is coming home and still so sorry for you. My mare lost her foal last year, she was born early and died 17 hours later despite all our efforts throught the day and night to try and save her.
My mare was put back in foal and 4/5 weeks ago was rushed into hospital as she was trying to foal early again. The vets were amazing and with a cocktail of meds she has held on to it and i expect her to foal within the next cople of days. The foal was still kicking when mum was scanned in hospital but i havent seen it move since so i am still praying that all is ok. It is never easy foaling but is so much worse when you have had terrible luck.
The foal is by catherston dazzler and is owned by my best friend (i own the mare, she paid for the foal) and my friend is also 2 days past her own due date so we are all extremely nervous. After loosing her foal last year, my friends other java tiger mare died 6 weeks after the foal so as you can imagine we are terrified. we really do not need any more bad luck.
I really, really hope you get some more luck, which ever route you decide to go down. best wishes xx
Everything crossed that your foal is still alive in there. Please let us know what happens.
Sad as it is, it is really nice knowing I am not the only one going through this. Much as it sometimes gets moaned about, this forum has been fab. Have met a couple of real life friends on here, Clodagh being one of them.
I'm really sorry to hear about you foal, I know how gutting it is as I lost my mare's first foal during birth- he presented dogsitting and also later there was signs of placentitis which would have meant he was weak anyway. I knew if I didn't try again to have a foal from her, then I never would- I said to myself if she takes first time she's covered it's meant to be. Anyway she did take and had a lovely colt who is now rising 3. I was worried sick though throughout the second pregnancy, and gave her a course of antibiotics just to be sure the placentitis didn't occur again. I'm thinking of putting her back in foal this year but am remembering how stressful it was last time! Anyway just to say don't give up too quickly as it's very rewarding getting a foal out of your own special mare.