Thermal sock recommendations!

Quadro

Visit site
It is minus 4 here currently (Scottish Borders) and I have quite a few horses to ride. I end up with chillblains and that horrible painful feeling when your feet are that cold. Lots of heated ones on ebay, but none come with the power pack? Blazewear do them but are £90! Currently wearing 4 pairs including heat holders but still freezing!

chaps89

Visit site
Not socks but look up Equitector boots :) I have reynauds and they're the only thing that allow me to be or on the yard once the temperature dips, well worth the money.
I had heated socks and they were a waste of money - the plastic holders that housed the elements slotted into the sock under your toes. Walking on them crushed the elements so I only ever got one use out of them. They weren't cheap either. There may of course be other/better designed options out there but certainly wouldn't be desperate to try them again tbh.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I agree with Ester, more than one pair of socks (and/or tight socks) actually make my feet much colder. The Sealskinz mountain biking waterproof ones are very good but not cheap at £40 a pair.

For warm boots the Noble Outfitter ones are incredible. I can wear one pair of thin trainer socks in them and my feet stay warm. The coldest I've worn them is -3*c.

Last edited:

Ossy2

Visit site
I agree with others you need insulated boots rather than more socks, you will be amazed at the difference they make.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I'm also a raynauds sufferer and used to really suffer with my feet but on the HHO recommendation i bought some grubbs iceline boots, they kept my feet so toasty in the worst of the weather last year and I wouldn't hesitate to buy again, although, I wouldn't ride in them, far too bulky.....ps. Ugly as sin too lol

Fiona

Visit site
Not socks but look up Equitector boots :) I have reynauds and they're the only thing that allow me to be or on the yard once the temperature dips, well worth the money.
I had heated socks and they were a waste of money - the plastic holders that housed the elements slotted into the sock under your toes. Walking on them crushed the elements so I only ever got one use out of them. They weren't cheap either. There may of course be other/better designed options out there but certainly wouldn't be desperate to try them again tbh.

I love my equitector boots (I have the short zipped ones) in the winter as they are so well insulated.

I wear them with 2 pairs of socks

Inner - thin
Outer - Bridgedale hiking socks (pure wool, close woven, last for years and super warm)

This got me through the -15 temperatures in winter 2010 :) :)

Fiona

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
All about pure wool socks in my opinion. I get very cold and once got dropped by a horse in a stream in minus temps, up to my ankles, early in a ride. Despite being fully soaked through my feet didn't get cold the whole ride, I couldn't believe it. I think they should definitely be part of your plan. :)

I hope you find something that works and keeps you cosy!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I suppose I'm lucky in that I have good circulation; while ever I can keep my toes moving, they will not get cold while riding.

On the other hand, if I'm standing for long periods on cold concrete (such as railway platforms while waiting for the trip home, when there are cancellations and delays), I can feel the heat being sucked out through the soles of my boots.

I think that the right solution for cold feet, other than electrically powered boot warmers (for these, look at motorcyclist's clothing suppliers), would be boot liners or insoles that reflect the heat back in towards your feet. You could make your own out of a mylar survival blanket.

You could also probably find some quite high-performance thin socks from suppliers of clothing for cross-country skiing.

The worst thing you could do is just add more and more layers of socks: you'll eventually get such a tight fit that you'll reduce the blood supply to your feet.

Quadro

Visit site
I have lessons from 9 til 4 tomorrow so i am going to try those heat things you put in socks and gloves? I have the circulation of a 94 year old care home resident!

Chippers1

Visit site
I bought some of the Mountain Horse snowy riders this winter and having just used them on a trip to a very cold and snowy Norway I can definitely recommend! Even on a metal boat out at sea in temperatures that were about -12 they only just started to get cold after 2 hours or so. I had thermal heat holder socks on with them at this point but every other day there I just had a thin pair of average thermal socks .

Goldenstar

Visit site
I got some great knee length socks for christmas they are from noble outfitters warm and comfy I would highly recommend them .