They did it! Edward & Sven's Grand Prix Debut (warning: proud wife post!)

Ali16

Visit site
As promised, here's the Grand Prix debut report :D

Sadly we didn't have anyone to cover the yard so I was left behind :( But I made sure that the boys went off to their first ever Grand Prix looking smart as possible (please excuse the odd socks, that bit was left up to Edward... *sigh*). Svenbo was looking very, very smart in his lovely new Thermy - many thanks to Harry Dabbs for that!:

Prep.jpg

Edward has been through an awful lot with Sven - he imported him as a 3yo from Holland and they have been all over the place together, including doing a 2 year stint on Monica Theodorescu's yard in Germany. We have had massive highs and crippling lows along the way, but Saturday really made it all worth it :)

When they got to Sparsholt Sven warmed up beautifully - he struggles to stay in the contact in the collection work and so Edward put him a bit deeper than usual to hopefully instill a bit more confidence in Sven. And then in they went!

Edward was thrilled that Sven just kept on trying all the way through the test... he tends to get stage fright and becomes inattentive (he has been known to canter up the centre line and whinny!). But this time Sven knew he was there to perform :)

A few pics from the test:

Lovely extension:

Test1.png

The first piaffe (and Edward checking himself out in the mirror!):

Test2.png

The walk, which they have really struggled with previously - they got 7s this time - big pats:

Test3.png

Moving out of the second piaffe:

Test4.png

Canter zigzags:

Test6.png

Edward having to hold on tight in the extended canter!:

Test5.png

Happy, happy rider:

Test7.png

Test8.png

Edward put the superstar pony away and wandered off alone to check the score... His mother found him in a blubbering mess holding his sheet. He had wanted to get 58%+ (with how Sven struggles in the collection work and his 'stage fright' we thought that would be an acceptable GP debut score).

They had got.... 61%!!!! :D:eek::D:eek: Clever, clever boys! Second place overall in the class :D

They had some lovely comments from the judge too, who acknowledged Sven's greeness in the contact for the collection work, but also clearly really liked the partnership :D

So Edward still hasn't come down from cloud 9 and is slightly unbearable at the moment :rolleyes: Yesterday he pointed to his shoulder and said to me: 'Come here and smell this.' Confused, I did as he asked... He then looked at me and said 'That's the smell of success!!' CHEEKY BEGGER!:rolleyes: It's easliy forgiven though as normally he's the most humble person I know.

So lots of drinkies for Team HDE over the last 48hrs!! :D Thanks for reading, sorry it's slightly epic!

Lolo

Visit site
Your report has made me grin :D Love the shoulder smelling! Stunning horse and love the photo of your OH checking himself out in the mirror :D

nikkimariet

Visit site
That is *brilliant* Well done to the boys (and their support team!).

Love the pic of E & S checking themselves out in the mirror!

dafthoss

Visit site
Massive well done to the OH!! But I did giggle about the shoulder smelling :D.

Some lovely photos sven looks great, is he planning on doing another with him?

Gamebird

Visit site
Wow, amazing Ali. Please pass on my congratulations to both boys :D.

As someone whose life ambition would be fulfilled if she got 62% at Medium (hell, at Elementary the way things are going at the moment), the heady heights of GP are unimaginable to me. I don't know how you get there, I can only guess that a huge dollop of graft and talent are required.

Ali16

Visit site
Fantastic, what a lovely report! Really pleased for all of you:)

Thank you :D

I really enjoyed that - thanks for sharing! :)

:D No problem - just too proud not to share!

Your report has made me grin :D Love the shoulder smelling! Stunning horse and love the photo of your OH checking himself out in the mirror :D

Haha, glad to make people smile :D Thank you, that pic is going on FB for all his friends to see... just to get him back for the shoulder smelling! ;)

Lovely report - what an achievement! :)

Thank you :D

That is *brilliant* Well done to the boys (and their support team!).

Love the pic of E & S checking themselves out in the mirror!

Thanks - and same to you and Fig! :D

Woohooo! :D So, so pleased for them :) Very well deserved! x

Thanks :) Jesse and I sat up until 1am and drank 2 bottles of sherry between us last night :eek: Woops!x

Massive well done to the OH!! But I did giggle about the shoulder smelling :D.

Some lovely photos sven looks great, is he planning on doing another with him?

Will pass it on - thanks :) Yes, they are going to do as many as they can fit in, but Sven is also going to be used for schoolmaster lessons to take the pressure off him a bit. He's so good at looking after even tiddly kids that it seems a shame to not share him and let him teach other people.

That is amazing! Well Done to them :D So does he have anymore planned?

Thank you :D Yes, as above, they are going to carry on doing GPs - Edward needs to get the milage on Sven and hopefully transfer the knowledge to Nova in years to come ;)

Brilliant, a great post, they make an extremely smart pair, great score too :)

Thank you :D Too happy still :D

Mince Pie

Visit site
Su-bloody-perb!!!! :D:D:D

Huge congrats to the boys, and to you as their support team! 2nd in your first ever GP is not something to be sniffed at!

And another one here who chuckled at the shoulder smelling and "look at us" mirror pic!

Mondy

Visit site
I enjoyed seeing the light, sensitive contact. It was the first thing I noticed. ;-)

The best of luck for the future. But - Please, please, please don't start pulling as hard as the 'other lot'! The judge may think the lightness a sign of inexperience; sadly, it ought to be a sign of proper riding and expertise.

1life

Visit site
You all deserve to be very proud and it's lovely to hear all that feeling in your post :).

Now he's broken the 60% barrier they'll be no stopping him ;).

JustMe22

Visit site
Lovely horse, the first extension photo is brilliant! :)

Hope he has more success at GP soon! But not too much...or you won't be able to stand the reek of success ;)