Things That Make You Sad

Visit site
A friend has just posted a pic on fb of her and 2 of the kids she helps teach and look after their ponies off for a hack. All 3 are wearing crank nosebands and rightly done up flashes. Both ponies (12hh and 13.2hh) have gags with the reins on the bottom hole and all 3 are carrying whips.

Another has put up some pics of her kid jumping a couple of ponies. All in wilkies and flashes.

One a few months ago I removed from my list as she was gloating over how well her 7yo daughter was riding her Shetland. Said Shetland was in a wilkie with a tight flash and even tighter draw reins, whilst carrying a whip. Said pony was only 3 years old and had only been broken in a month.

Why do people feel the need to strap horses mouths shut?!? If there is an issue with them opening their mouths then find out why! Yes I know some can just be gits and do it for the sake of it but that can't be the majority of horses in the country!

It makes me very sad to see the next generation of riders being taught from a young age to rely on gadgets and strapping mouths shut.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Oh yikes. a baby pony in draw reins :(

I feel sad about people who buy the wrong horses for their lifestyle or experience and don't enjoy them. I know a few that got themselves backed into a corner and seem to be thoroughly miserable. Not much fun for the horse either.

Asha

Visit site
what makes me sad is watching young children on lovely ponies kicking /smacking them around a course of jumps. With the parents at the edge of the arena shouting instructions, to kick more, go faster make that turn etc etc etc. Pony goes flat out around the course, with no riding from the child at all, just point and kick. Then the kids either fall off, or start to cry because they didn't win. Cue foot stopping from both the kids and the parents. Then they go in the next bigger class.

and, the poor ponies are usually in gags with tight flashes. Its sad OP whole heartedly agree with you

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Some years back I took my daughter to a new RS for some lessons and was stunned that all the ponies in her lesson (all under 13hh, some very old looking) had Dutch gags on the bottom ring. These were a mix of total beginners to starting x pole standard little children :(

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
prince fluffy kareem
https://www.facebook.com/princefluffykareem/

A relatively small charity concern in Cairo that kind of fell into being - I don't think Marte ever envisaged it being what it is now.

It certainly educates on what horses can come back from though, and the before and afters are at least more cheering.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Ah right thank you ester - I am involved with a lot of rescue situations where I live and that is distressing enough, I can only imagine how much more horrific it probably is somewhere like Cairo - I shall have a read.

jainque

Visit site
What makes me sad is the old ways of thinking and how some people never move on. In France and Switzerland, racing trainers still believe that the best way to stop a horse from bleeding from the lungs during a race or a galop is to stop them having acces to water....Most of them, stop the horse from drinking up to 12h before a race, even in the summer in high temperature.... That is so cruel and unecessary..... Some vets here even advise it....

Visit site
What makes me sad is the old ways of thinking and how some people never move on. In France and Switzerland, racing trainers still believe that the best way to stop a horse from bleeding from the lungs during a race or a galop is to stop them having acces to water....Most of them, stop the horse from drinking up to 12h before a race, even in the summer in high temperature.... That is so cruel and unecessary..... Some vets here even advise it....

There is a theory behind this, same with why American trainer use Lasix - you dehydrate the horse which in turn tightens the veins, capillaries etc and thins the blood.You tighten the walls and thin the liquid there is less chance of the horse bleeding. I don't agree with it as it also sends the heart rate through the roof and you are increasing the chance of heart problems. The heart rate stays through the roof for a good wee while after exercise even with water being provided straight after.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Seeing a post on Facebook b with an 8month foal stabled 24/7 with only an odd walk. This would be his situation for the next several months as owner had no turnout at all......
I saw this and was a bit gobsmacked. It really upset me.
I also saw a post advertising a 25 year old mare and it was worded as "no longer required". Poor thing :(

fabbydo

Visit site
1: Children/teenagers total lack of dedication to anything. Not riding because they are 'tired' and standing around whilst the parent/carer mucks out, poo picks and tacks up for them. What kind of citizen are they creating?
2: Strapping heads down (and then using spurs/whip to send it forward) Just tragic.
3: Old ponies being sold on.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Injured horses being sold on. ‘Don’t have time to rehab’/ ‘sure it will come right soon!’
What kind of a future is that horse facing. At least attempt to fix it before passing it on.

CMcC

Visit site
Injured horses being sold on. ‘Don’t have time to rehab’/ ‘sure it will come right soon!’
What kind of a future is that horse facing. At least attempt to fix it before passing it on.

I would usually agree but I am the beneficiary of a lovely Arab x Connemara cross bought for not very much with a “tendon injury” no full investigation or treatment. Really only bought her as companion, turned her out for 8 months then in the summer 2 of mine were out of action decided to see if she was rideable - fully fit and amazing. Wouldn’t risk jumping her but making a lovely dressage pony.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I don't have a problem with this, as long as the problem is known, the rehab conditions known, the prognosis good and everything declared. The buyer knows exactly what they are getting into (unlike any sale of a 'sound' horse). And the horse's future is probably more secure than many sales to over horsed or under experienced buyers.

pansymouse

Visit site
People backing horse too young; racing is obviously the stand out for this hence why so many broken ex race horse but backing almost any horse before it's 4/5 is too young for me. I've seen too many retired in their early teen because they were worked/worked too hard before they had matured sufficiently. It's part of the impatience culture imo.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site

Oh no, I love those sort of horses: I've had brilliant luck with rehabbing write offs.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
People backing horse too young ...... backing almost any horse before it's 4/5 is too young for me. I've seen too many retired in their early teen because they were worked/worked too hard before they had matured sufficiently. It's part of the impatience culture imo.

The earliest retirement I've personally been close to was broken in at six and retired at ten with fetlock arthritis and kissing spines having never done a hard day's work in her life. The next is retired at twelve with hock issues, having been broken younger but done nothing in the way of hard work between five and twelve. And a third was backed at four, did nothing until being backed again at five and ridden lightly until PTS at six with stifle issues. It's absolutely normal for horses to have to retire in their teens. They are fragile creatures bred by man to be bigger than they should be, and they break.

I don't think the impatience culture has much to do with it. In general, horses are being started and worked later now than they were in previous decades and centuries.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I've seen horses in the UAE who have done endurance, broken a leg and then they have fitted them with a prosthesis. So very sad.

And donkeys that can't stand because they are overworked, malnourished and generally at deaths door.

Horses that are kept in 24/7 because 'its raining' or horses that are broken in far too young.

As others have said old horses that have served their time, clearly love their owners and are 'unwanted'.

And also quite a popular website for horses for sale where the dealer shows photos and videos of him riding the horses he has for sale which are throwing their heads up, hollow and clearly uncomfortable or unschooled riding in a mud pit of a menage.

The list is endless to be honest.

Reactions: TPO

Asha

Visit site
They fit horses with a prosthesis?? Oh my word . That’s jut reminded me of something else that makes me sad not horses but dogs .. watching Noel the supervet fit all manner of mechanical feet on dogs .