Things to add to barefoot pony's diet?

Solo1

Visit site
I have a 4 y.o who's now in work and has never had a day off lame. She's currently on haylage (the bloody thing won't eat the hay we have, soaked or unsoaked! grrr), a handful of pony nuts morning and evening to stop her complaining and then is out on a very sparse paddock. Currently would say she's a tad overweight, but that's coming off :)

However have noticed she's a bit footy over the rocky path we have down to the fields. She's fine on the roads and wil happily trot along, around fields etc. She goes ouch! and pulls to the verge on the stones, but has no lasting effects once she hits the grass.

(This is not a recent occurrence and has become no more evident since hitting the Spring grass, just I've been taking her over the rocks more often now the weather's nicer :) )

She's 14.2hh TbxID x Connie if that makes any odds :p

So yes, anything that I can add to her feed to see if her feet/soles will harden up a bit? I think if it makes no change within a month or so I'll have her shod in front, as it's unfair for her to walk over the stones twice a day (they're on the way to the summer fields that they're going to move into soon) when she's obviously in so much discomfort.

And because I'm very proud of her... a sneaky picture :D

545071_10150733782421421_557256420_11704648_1565942510_n.jpg

Nocturnal

Visit site
Minerals :D.

You can either have your forage analysed and your minerals balanced to reflect the deficiencies/imbalances in your forage, or you can choose a generic supplement such as pro hoof/meta balance/forageplus. The generic supplements usually do a good job, but mineral balancing is the ideal.

ETA: she's gorgeous!

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
She looks stunning!
What variety of pony nuts do you use? Do you know what's in them?
I would be cautious about feeding them and consider swapping to something like Pure Easy for the bucket feed.
Would she eat soaked hay or oat straw if you left it with her for long enough?
Haylage,especially italian rye grass haylage is very high in sugar.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Of course mineral balancing is the best but not always possible

So initially I would try a slightly more barefoot focused supplement instead of the balancer, forage plus, pro hoof from ebay or the secret equimins one you have to phone up for are good.
Then look at adding something for her gut - brewers yeast, yea sac, protexin or activated charcoal are possibles.

I would feed these in something low calorie and sugar free.

If you have to feed haylage see if you can get a hi fibre or timothy option and mix it with oat straw to make it go further.

I would also look at grass intake in case it's a factor but a lot of people find once they get the minerals right, their horses cope better with grass.

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
She's on the Baileys No.14 Lo-Cal Balancer, nutritional info here: http://www.baileyshorsefeeds.co.uk/whatproduct/general/no14.htm

Is there anything it's lacking? Or would an extra hoof supplement on top benefit as well?

She usually eats everything and anything but has really taken a dislike to our latest batch of hay - I think it's the texture or something. It's bizarre. Could try her on oat straw...

It was all looking good until I read the ingredients. Molasses!

Nocturnal

Visit site
Bailey's lo cal is the first thing I'd change if I was having footiness problems. Even if it were molasses free (!) it would not have an adequate mineral balance for typical forage.

TigerTail

Visit site
Bailey's lo cal is the first thing I'd change if I was having footiness problems. Even if it were molasses free (!) it would not have an adequate mineral balance for typical forage.

x 2!

Swap that for Pro Hoof or mineral analysis and swap the pony nuts for straw chaff like molly chop do to mix the supplements in.:) She may need something like fennel seed/tumeric/apple cordial in the mix to make it more appetising as she used to sugar in her feed.

Lovely pic - looks like a good mover - shame to ruin that with shoes ;):p;)

amandap

Visit site
As well as the other advice don't forget to feed pure salt in her feed. For her size I would think up to a tablespoon a day. Offer some loose too. Mineral and salt blocks aren't enough and most mineral blocks contain lots of iron and the licks the dreaded mollasses.

I wonder if she doesn't like your new hay because it's lower in sugars? I'd love to know but of course I am left surmising every time I read of horses refusing batches of hay. :) It could be so many reasons.

Oh and she is a stunner.