Think I’m going to have to sell horse

newboult51

Visit site
I’ve now got to the point that I’m too scared to get on my 4 year old in the school. I bought him 2 months ago and his behaviour is getting worse and worse. He’s napping and being aggressive and argumentative when asked to go into any transition and he bucked off one of the other liveries this morning, I don’t have the confidence or competence to deal with this and I can’t see any way forward. I am having lessons on him but things aren’t improving. I’m thinking of getting him professionally schooled and then selling him though it breaks my heart. I know I probably shouldn’t have bought a youngster but we’ve had them in the past and not had problems like this.

Polos Mum

Visit site
What does your instructor say? - I would get some professional advice from someone who has seen you with him in person

There is 101 reasons for a deterioration in behaviour - especially in a youngster - (from saddle fit to kissing spine and everything in between!) but if you've lost confidence that much - I honestly think there is no harm in admitting you have made a mistake and to get the horse into a home he can cope with and your a horse that you can enjoy.

People who battle on in misery for years I don't think do themselves or their horses any favours.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Am going through same with my 5 year old. I am going back to basics, ground work etc for few months to hopefully settle & get her confident. When I tried her she was so good that just thought could crack on but she gets anxious in the school & has had me off a couple of times. Not sure if her dominant behaviour is put on (ie she’s a bit scared) but is clear she doesn’t see me as leader at the moment. I had my other horse at rising 6 so thought be ok bringing her on but they are very different temperaments. Also had vet, back lady, saddler & dentist to see her. Verdict- she’s a youngster, Welsh d & Mare!

BlackRider

Visit site
Look at his feed, baileys lo cal sent mine bonkers, as did haylage, now he's on hay, handful of chop and thunder brooks balancer and he's a different horse.

SEL

Visit site
When mine started behaving like this a year after being backed it turned out to be the saddle. I'd had it checked and re-checked but got a 2nd opinion because I was getting desperate. New saddle = huge improvement but by then she'd had me off, stuffed my back (still have problems) & given my confidence a battering.

Don't keep plugging on if it's not working. Run through all the normal checks (with 2nd opinions!) and if nothing shows up then your plan of re-school and sell is a good one.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Honestly, it sounds like he's tweaked something (young horse in a new home - it happens), and because he's not 100% and is being told off he's getting progressively sour and resistant. You don't sound like a poor/novicey rider so you shouldn't really be having these problems. If he were mine I would probably chuck him out for the winter and then see what I've got in the spring.

sport horse

Visit site
Get professional help then you will be able to see whether it is your nerves causing his behaviour. You can waste huge amounts of money on saddle fitter, lameness work up, physio etc etc but before going that route put a really good producer of young horses on him and see what heppens after a few days. I stress you need to use someone who is used to riding young horses with attitude - plenty of young horses come into this category!! I know because I breed and have young horses produced for me!!

pippixox

Visit site
I’m not saying you should not sell him....however, 2 months is nothing. Especially for a young horse.
Even with a clean bill of health (although that isn’t always true, depends on the tests and it can only be on the day with subtle lameness)
Behaviour can be ‘naughty’ when they are finding their feet
I took on two turning 4 year old natives and they when from sweet but hardly handled; to good with basics and then to feral! Before then deciding to behave for good!

HappyHorses:)

Visit site
Going to be blunt here and say that if your nervous you probably aren't the best person to bring on a youngster.

People underestimate how important producing a well balanced young horse is and yes, 9/10 times they will try their luck and your nerves!
Most start off ok then get confidence/ fitter delete as appropriate, and try giving a few two finger salutes especially if they are smart. The amount of times I've seen a youngster trying it on and scaring their rider, suddenly the horse is dangerous, a nightmare etc. No it needs a confident rider who will let it know what behaviour is and isn't acceptable.

Well done op for doing health checks etc but also for realising at this stage of your horses career it could do with someone more experienced to help get him on to the next stage. Doesn't mean your not a good rider, it means your a great owner for realising your horse needs something you currently cannot provide.

I think if I were in your shoes I would send away for someone to bring on a bit. Go ride him at their yard and see if you have a partnership once those few issues have been worked on.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

be positive

Visit site
Going to be blunt here and say that if your nervous you probably aren't the best person to bring on a youngster.

People underestimate how important producing a well balanced young horse is and yes, 9/10 times they will try their luck and your nerves!
Most start off ok then get confidence/ fitter delete as appropriate, and try giving a few two finger salutes especially if they are smart. The amount of times I've seen a youngster trying it on and scaring their rider, suddenly the horse is dangerous, a nightmare etc. No it needs a confident rider who will let it know what behaviour is and isn't acceptable.

Well done op for doing health checks etc but also for realising at this stage of your horses career it could do with someone more experienced to help get him on to the next stage. Doesn't mean your not a good rider, it means your a great owner for realising your horse needs something you currently cannot provide.

I think if I were in your shoes I would send away for someone to bring on a bit. Go ride him at their yard and see if you have a partnership once those few issues have been worked on.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I agree with most of this but in my experience far more youngsters behave "badly" with novice or nervous riders because they are confused/ lacking confidence and are not getting clear guidance from the rider when they have something new or different to work out than ones that try it on because they have gained confidence, strength or just decide to try their luck, most don't get to that stage with an inexperienced rider bringing them on they are generally not stretched enough physically or mentally.
I think this pony is one that has developed a buck because it doesn't really know what else to do, this can happen at any age if the rider asks for something without any real conviction often holding back as they also ask for it to go forward, this confuses the horse and it tucks up, head goes down and the natural reaction then is to put in a buck, the rider then holds on more so a habit is quickly formed through no intent on the part of the horse it just has nowhere else to go.
A confident rider doesn't normally have to do any more than ride forward and give clear aids that the horse understands, they rarely require any more than a bit of hard work to channel their energy and engage their brains.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Second opinion on back and saddle.

My 4yo had a personality transplant and turned out main factor was saddle causing sore back (even caused ulcers).

He had clean back xray, leg scans, flexions, blocks. Teeth fine, feet fine. Saddle was 'fine' but actually not. Rescoped clear had a million back work ups and back to himself in different saddle. He has also had oil added to diet which has helped his muscles 100%.

He is an idle pig toad by nature so you do have to accept for a while that it may just be temper tantrums/boredom/growing pains etc. But if not solved by lots of work or no work or someone else on him... Time to think outside the box.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
could your instructor ride him in the lessons for a while and see if his behaviour improves with a confident rider. also if all health checks , including saddle fit are ok, i would cut any feed out, only give hay and have him turned out 24/7 if you can......it may be that he is not the horse for you and there is no shame in admitting that you cant cope so if your instructor can get him going well i would sell him and get her/him to ride him at any viewing. good luck

emilylou

Visit site
There is no shame in admitting you are over-horsed. Getting him professionally schooled and selling on is not the worst outcome. Having a horse is supposed to be fun and if he is scaring you then getting something that is more suitable that you can enjoy riding is a good idea. If you send him away for a bit you might find he becomes the right horse, but if not, sell and move on. Life is too short to pay for fear and worry.

be positive

Visit site
This is what I am beginning to think. It’s got to a point now that I hate going up to the yard and looking after him because he’s been so rude and aggressive.

It sounds as if you need a break as this has been going gradually downhill since you bought him and it is supposed to be a hobby not a punishment, I would suggest you find somewhere suitable to send him for a few weeks education and keep your options open, a good trainer should be able to get him going and then advise whether you are best selling or if they think with work you can develop a partnership long term.

I have had horses sent here that with some work were suitable for their owners, others were best moving on to a new home, normally I have a good idea which way is best within a few days of them arriving, just ensure you don't get strung along for months with no decision or real progress, discuss a timeframe/ budget before sending him anywhere.

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
If he behaves the same with EVERYONE that rides him it can’t be a rider issue.

I would get vet involved so you can rule out absolutely everything. If you sell him, all you’d be doing is passing on his problems to someone else. ‘All the checks’ to me mean back, teeth, saddle, full lameness workup, ulcer scope, scans basically an endless list.

I’m not saying don’t sell him, but rule out any problems before you do.

Summit

Visit site
No shame in admitting he's not for you. This happened to me before my current horse. Rode him for a month before he came to me then he turned into an unpredictable, almost dangerous horse and wasn't the horse I was sold. Each ride was getting progressively worse and he was taking advantage of me as each time I was losing confidence. I refused to ride him in the end as I valued my life and limbs too much plus I was now resenting him and was losing my enjoyment. Horses are for pleasure, we spend a lot of time and money looking after them. I sold him to a home who had the facilities and knowledge to bring him on and work him. He's doing very well now.

sunshine100*

Visit site
This is what I am beginning to think. It’s got to a point now that I hate going up to the yard and looking after him because he’s been so rude and aggressive.

If you feel like that imagine how the horse feels-please carry on giving him care and attention until you sell on-horse now knows you have given up on them and prob play up even more. keep going up and looking after your horse -HE deserves that at least!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
then selling him though it breaks my heart.

If how you feel about the horse has changed, then yes, it would be best to sell him but you owe it to him to be absolutely certain that his behaviour isn't caused by pain somewhere. If he behaves the same no matter who rides him, it does sound like a pain response. If he only does it in the school, I would ask the vet to check his legs first.

tristar

Visit site
if it turns out to be behavior, its worth bearing in mind there is a special way of riding a young horse when giving commands that involves total conviction about what you are asking for, confidence projected into the commands, and a certain knack which involves the time scale and pressure or strength of the aids, and tact in using such aids so as not to confuse or upset the horse, but to lead it and set it up for success most of the time, and i personally give loads of praise after a session and use my voice as an aid.

i would never pick a fight with young horse, if it challenged me i would distract it by doing something else and look to the way i asked it and find a solution, i would never, never let it get to the stage of being naughty, i would not tolerate any, and i mean any bad habits because i know it would be a reflection of the trainers shortcomings.

i am pretty brutal about these things because they do not need to happen.

newboult51

Visit site
If you feel like that imagine how the horse feels-please carry on giving him care and attention until you sell on-horse now knows you have given up on them and prob play up even more. keep going up and looking after your horse -HE deserves that at least!

A bit of an unfair comment. Nowhere did I say that I would fail to continue to give him full care and attention he needs.

Littlebear

Visit site
Very hard decision to make, you may just need the RIGHT help! I have a youngster that I feel confident that I will be fine backing and bringing on mainly because I know I have the back up of my instructor who is used to backing and breaking baby horses, I know they will get if the moment comes I need them to and 100% be able to deal with whatever is thrown at them. I cant be totally sure I could ride through anything although I am very confident I have only trained a few youngsters where my instructor does a few a month over many many years. That is such a huge difference.
Your horse could end up being amazing for you if you send it to the right person that can work with you and the horse perhaps at the end of a set period you could make up your mind after that whether to stay with him or not?
I did see on facebook recently a horse that looked a nightmare and had an incredible turnaround when she found the right guy to help, I cant remember his name now but she has an amazing horse now thanks to him!