Think I am loosing my enthusiasm for horses :(

Umbongo

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has felt this way and what did you do?

I have been riding since I was 10 and now am 27. I have shared, loaned and ridden and cared for friends horses etc. I have had yard jobs as a groom on lots of different types of yards so have always been involved with horses whilst growing up.

For the past year I was sharing a lovely green little pony on a nice yard with amazing hacking for the area I am in. In May/June I started to not really look forward to riding anymore. I had been chucked off a couple of times and started to not really trust the pony out cantering. I ended up not riding as much through the summer as the owner was going to university so I didn't want to take away her last summer with her pony.

This worked out well for me as I had a bit of a break, was less tired, had a bit more of a social life, went to the gym etc.

I have just started to share another horse on the same yard, same great hacking, great share arrangement etc. But I just can't seem to be bothered to get up in the mornings and I don't look forward to going riding at the moment. I thought that it may just be the weather getting a bit rubbish, but I have been feeling this way since May/June. I am so tired all the time, I am very busy at work and regularly have to work late and do a lot of overtime. My shifts can be all over the place, especially if a member of staff is on holiday or sick. I am trying to arrange a wedding and just have not had the time to do anything apart from eat and sleep once I get home.

I did think about reducing the days per week that I ride to see if that would help, but I don't really look forward to riding my share horse. He is a lovely horse and safe to hack, but just not the usual sort I get excited about (he is a 16.2hh ploddy chunk, and I tend to prefer smaller, whizzy arab and welshy types). I do feel very bad, as there are so many people who would bite their arm off for the arrangement I have, but maybe he would be a great horse for someone else?

I am thinking about ending the share (am on a months trial) and having a bit of a break from horses, maybe have a lesson once a month or so to stop from getting rusty and maybe attempt a bit of jumping (haven't jumped for years). But I don't want to go crazy from not having regular horsey time! I can always volunteer at the local RDA?

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
Having a horse, riding, caring for it, is supposed to be a pleasure. Have a break, you might find that by next spring you are really missing riding and horses and keen to start again.

I have had breaks and although I didn't miss the work I did miss the riding. Go easy on yourself. Many people find that they cannot fit a very time consuming hobby into their lives. You can ride, you can always go back to it.

paddi22

Visit site
sound slike you have a lot on your plate. i'd be tempted to end the share and just do the odd lesson and trek when the bug hits.

DD265

Visit site
It sounds like it could be a combination of stress and that this horse isn't the type that does it for you. Plus we're about to go into a harder time of year for horse ownership.

I think your plan of taking a bit of a break, having a few lessons, and coming back to it when you fancy is a good one :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If you aren't enjoying it stop. I wouldn't even bother with lessons, unless you want to. I gave up for 10 years and picked it up again like I had never stopped.

Nessa4

Visit site
If you aren't enjoying it stop. I wouldn't even bother with lessons, unless you want to. I gave up for 10 years and picked it up again like I had never stopped.

This - it is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, and may well be again. Have a break and see how it goes, you can always re-start later.

Barnacle

Visit site
It doesn't really sound like you've lost an interest in "horses" so much as this particular arrangement? Maybe you just need to start fresh - new yard, new arrangement, new horse? You can always try to find something flexible so you don't have to do loads but still get to ride. I say this only because you say you're worried about not having a horsey fix... So can't be that you don't want to do anything horsey at all :p If you'd rather stop completely or do some volunteering or whatever else, just go for it though! Do whatever makes you happy. It's not a duty and it shouldn't feel like a chore.

Clodagh

Visit site
Take a break, it can be very difficult juggling a lot of balls at once and it sounds like you are flat out. Horses aren't going to die out tomorrow, pick it up when ever you feel like you want to.

unicornystar

starbug02.wix.com
if you are not an owner and can duck out of the agreement with notice I would have a good break and you will soon find out if you miss it!

If you do try and look for a horse that "floats your boat"!! it can make a huge difference!!!

Umbongo

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I have been dwelling on this for a while and it all came to a head yesterday when it was a lovely sunny September day, and I could barely drag myself out to go for a ride. I was even thinking about going to the gym instead!! Which is just crazy!

I have told the owner that I will not be continuing with the share, and my months trial will end this week. So I am going to have a bit of a breather for a bit, and maybe the right horse will come along that I will be excited to ride again - as current horse just does not float my boat so to speak.

Equi

Visit site
Take a break! I have only ever lasted 3 months when I've taken a break and I get the same lack of enthusiasm haha