Think new mare is testing me..??

bandit

Visit site
hello - well after our issues the other night with her not cantering on the left rein as easily as the right, i went for a hack last night with another horse - not from my yard...

anyway - had a lovely walk through the woods, but whenever he trotted, we couldn't keep up so she'd try cantering and then jogging - asked friend to slow down and she didn't mind..

anyway - got onto the gallops - and she just blew up!!! bless her, she started doing a really lovely ballet display - and squeeling with excitement. said to friend -best not canter if you don't mind, and thankfully she didn't.

anyway - she ducked off the gallops 1/2 way round to go home, and we carried on. the whole time i wanted her to trot, and the whole time she just squeeled and tryed to canter. she also was unsettled - bless.....

so - i trotted her (or tried trotting) for one circuit and she was nuts, so i thought, well i'll do anohter and she was alot better, but turning for home she did the whole jog / squeel / canter on the spot thing...

i didn't loose my rag, but it was quite frustrating. i htink perhaps i need to go out in company more often as by herself she is v calm...

she's also feeling so much better in herself - bit fitter etc, since she arrived.... can't ride her tonight but will go for a very very long hack tomorrow - road work and lots of trotting!!!!

Bc

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
No - she just sounds well and happy. Enjoy
smile.gif

bandit

Visit site
LOL!!! there is that too... however i'm used to an ID that doesn't have this amount of life in him, so it's all new and exciting, if a little different.

would like to let her have a blast and get it out of her but fear it will mean she learns what the gallops are for!!!! being an ex racer and all LOL...

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
I think that you've answered your own question here...
[ QUOTE ]
would like to let her have a blast and get it out of her but fear it will mean she learns what the gallops are for!!!! being an ex racer and all LOL...

[/ QUOTE ]

Race horses have their own way of going - they tend to be hacked out on long reins in groups - and I find that when hacking alone they tend to be less confident - also - your friend leaving you half way round may've upset her too - I know that a lot of horses freak if they are left half way round a ride - But then the race horse... on the gallops knows it's job - it gallops - and that's probably what she was trying to tell you - by holding her - you were in all intense purposes blowing her brains - It's a rehab/training issue and will take lots of time and patience
smile.gif

Kate x

bandit

Visit site
she's been off the track for at least 2 years, but i've only had her for 3.5 weeks so it's all new to me....

i see what you mean about the way they are hacked out - and i'm quite used to it as i ride out with the YO on his race horses quite often @ W/ends - but they are in a routine and i get the quiet one LOL....

it will take time for us to get to know each other and with alot of hacking in company i'm sure she will learn to settle more....

at least for eventing she knows how to gallop!!! my friend had to teach her horse to!

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
LOL! She'll certainly know how to gallop for eventing!
grin.gif

I had an exracer - and at 12 yr old - he still squealed and danced when he got to open space or anything like a gallops!
crazy.gif
He'd been reschooled and was fab at dressage and eventing - but still remembered what he was bred to do!
smile.gif

Good luck with her - I'm sure you'll get to know one another quickly!
smile.gif

Kate x