Think the weather has something against me

Kelly1982

Visit site
Everytime i put a warmer rug on my horse the weather is warm and everytime i put a cooler rug on its freezing.

The other night it was 9degrees so i put a thiner rug on my horse, the next morning it was 3degrees and everything was iced over so the thicker rug came back out. The next morning it was 10degrees so my poor horsey had been sweltering all night.

I decided to read the weather report last night and it said the temp was dropping to 4. Que thicker rug!! Got up this morning and the temp was 10 again
mad.gif

This has been happening to me since the rugs started going on and it has now become a runnning joke down the yard as my friend asked my the other day if i would mind piling the rugs on my horse so that the weather would warm up again
mad.gif

I'm getting so mad as the temp is up and down all the time and i dont want my poor ponio to start suffering as she got too hot a few weeks ago and started dropping a bit of weight and drinking loads. Now she has started to put weight back on again i am worried i am gonna get the rugs wrong coz of the stupid weather and her weight will drop off again.

Weezy

Visit site
Just put on a MW and be done with it - its going to be incredibly mild over the next few days/evenings (10 - 12 and not dropping at night) so stop stressing, meet the horse halfway - better he is a touch cold than too hot - Jan is bound to be FREEZING!

Kelly1982

Visit site
Yeah i read that but the the temp is meant to drop to minus degrees from Saturday onwards.

But then thats the same weather report that i read the other day and it lied to me
mad.gif

Rambo

Visit site
We use MW most of the time.....only go to a HW if it is going to get really cold for a sustained period ! Both the horses clips are well on the way to growing out anyway, so they have some natural insulation of their own too
smile.gif

Chex

Visit site
I check the forecast every night before I go up, its quite often wrong though! I've given up trying to get it right, he's always going to be a little too warm or a litle too cold.

Kelly1982

Visit site
See i was always told that its better they are a bit too warm but that does make sense and she hasn't been eating all her hay recently either so maybe she is a bit too hot
confused.gif

jewel

Visit site
agree with evsj best for them to be a bit cold than hot. as they will eat more to keep warm but if they are too hot they will just sweat and lost condition