Thinking about buying a horse but no idea where to start looking for a livery yard

livylou

New User
Visit site
Hi all!

So I'm living in West London currently (W2), and I'm keeping an eye out to buy a horse for the first time. It's something I've wanted to do for years and I'm finding myself having a lot more free time recently.

Does anyone know any full/part livery yards within an hour max drive from me? Hacking would be nice but definitely not essential, and also I'm not fussed about riding outside if an outdoor school is all there is!

Thanks so much for any help!

livylou

New User
Visit site
How exciting! What is your budget and what kind of facilities would you like?
I know! I'm so excited
-outside arena (inside would be nice but not a necessity) with jumps available
-turnout (not 24/7 but still a couple of hours)
-part livery at least 5 days a week
-budget of maybe £700ish max per month including feed and bedding

Kahlua

Visit site
I know! I'm so excited
-outside arena (inside would be nice but not a necessity) with jumps available
-turnout (not 24/7 but still a couple of hours)
-part livery at least 5 days a week
-budget of maybe £700ish max per month including feed and bedding
You will have to share when you find your new friend ?
Hmm the places I know of nearish to your area are unfortunately over £1000 a month. I’m sure someone else will have a suggestion. Otherwise maybe post on Facebook, that’s how I managed to find my current place, as it wasn’t actually advertised!

neddy man

Visit site
www.*******.co.uk & www.*******.co.uk , local f/bk pages , saddlery shops, pony clubs etc.are good places to ask. Try to find a farrier for your area and ask him for recommendations

Quigleyandme

Visit site
There is a livery yard in Mill Hill called Moat End or something similar. Perhaps you could make an appointment to view if it doesn’t exceed your budget by too big a margin but I think anywhere West - around Windsor, Richmond, Kingston, Ham Hill will be spendy.

Skib

sites.google.com
The BHS has a site list of approved livery yards and the best thing to do is to go round and visit them and walk the bridle paths if you want to hack.
I am in SW London too. The yards very a great deal in size and price and facilities but the further you drive out of London the less it costs and the more likely there is to be turn out.