Thinking ahead, repairing all the muddy bits!!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I will definitely have to do something in my gateway this year. Ive saved a bit of ground so that as soon as it drys up in spring I can shut off the gateway we are using now and rest it all summer. Its an area about the size of a tennis court that will need sorting and as its not my land I cant do anything other than reseed. So, what is the timescale please, from those who know about land. I guess it will need rolling, harrowing and reseeding. I have a garden roller and a hand rake, its perfectly possible to do this area with those tools so in what order do I roll and harrow and what time of year is best to do it?

Finlib

Visit site
You really need to build up gateways with hard core/scalping / stone .Dig out then some sort of membrane th en stone on top. You can roll and seed it after trashing it will be dipped trapping water and therefore back to square one as soon as it rain
If you rent can you talk to the owner to help out. Our gateway were sorted out 10 years ago and only need a little topping up every 4/5 years
even after this current weather there is no mud.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Sadly we arent allowed to do that. Although it is a gateway to my bit of the field, we all have our own bits fenced off so if you took all the fencing down you would have a random patch of hardcore in the middle of a 20 acre field. Although we are on clay it does drain quite well so the rest of the field isnt too bad, its just the gateway and that is because he will insist in cantering circles in the gateway when he spots anyone likely to bring him in, if he would just stand still and wait it wouldnt be anywhere near as bad!

Finlib

Visit site
roll and seed then ground 're inforcIng mats would be an answer Grass grows through the mats and it will look like field