Thinking of changing my dry dog food.

Barkingheads or Bakers ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

liveryblues

Visit site
Peoples' faces are hilarious-they think I'm mental when I show them a picture of the dogs scoffing a whole rabbit!

Just out of interest do you feed them skinned, my son shoots & often brings home rabbit so far he has always skinned them... I know there is that whole prey food thing but I can never decide if i should throw the whole rabbit at them hair n all :eek:

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Just out of interest do you feed them skinned, my son shoots & often brings home rabbit so far he has always skinned them... I know there is that whole prey food thing but I can never decide if i should throw the whole rabbit at them hair n all :eek:

Whole, although I know some people gut them first.
IMAG0264.jpg

I've been known to chop them in half with scissors cos they were a bit big for a day's worth of food. Icky but easier than with a knife. I worm afterwards or if that worries anyone, they could just be frozen first.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
That's very interesting about the anal glands, so if you feed raw, do you feed white or red meat or mixture or what ? and what do you feed, sorry never looked into it before, must pay more attention to cinnamontoast's posts lol, I'm might seriously look into this

I feed a lot of green tripe, I get it fresh from a small local abattoir, also pigs heads. Bones from pork, beff and lamb from same source and ox liver too. I also get rabbit, either the dogs catch them or I shoot them, will pick up a fresh road kill deer.
I wak Foxhound pups from the local kennel so, if they have plenty of flesh I will have access to veal, horse meat and sometimes casualty beef.

I have two freezers that I keep the dog meat in. Defrost in a dustbin in the garage and just cut the dogs an appropriate sized chunk in the evening - all outside regardless of weather!

I pay £10 every other week when I collect the tripe and whatever else there is for me. The rest costs nothing. I am feeding at least 13 dogs every day, often there are others staying here so, it is about 75 pence a day, or 5p per dog a day.
You do need a strong stomach for dealing with tripe on a hot summers day but it is one of the best meats for dogs.

Last edited:

liveryblues

Visit site
Whole, although I know some people gut them first.
IMAG0264.jpg

I've been known to chop them in half with scissors cos they were a bit big for a day's worth of food. Icky but easier than with a knife. I worm afterwards or if that worries anyone, they could just be frozen first.

I have two in the feezer atm that were not skinned so giving them whole will save the trouble! I often take scissors (big tough ones!) to various carcasses to split them up for my hounds! I have one who would not let the others near if I didnt :)