Thinking of taking off back shoes.

Quartz

Visit site
I would like to try and taKe my horses back shoes off. Just don't know what to expect and if its a good idea. I have always wanted to try it, and now my farrier has gone on sick leave for 6 months with a broken hand. The replacement is a lot more expensive, so thought this would be the perfect time to try, (I can afford it, so no comments on if you can;t afford it blah blah blah please).

He works mainly in the sand school, but the hacks we do have to include some road work and some of the lanes are quite gravely, but could at some places ride on the grass verge.

He is a selle francais, 15.2 hands. Is it worth giving it a go, and is there anything to look out for, expect or that I can do to help.

Thanks

SuseP

Visit site
I keep my horse barefoot after a few years of being shod, and although its taken a lot of patience I'm pleased I stuck with it. It really does take months and months for their feet to toughen up, but I used boa horseboots on the front for hacking and they are brilliant. I would say it's definitely worth taking the backs off, if your horse is just too sore or his feet aren't up to it, you can just as soon put them back on and the problem is pretty much solved. For the first year barefoot, I probably lost a couple of days riding every month due to my trakehner being sorefooted, but 2 years on (!) and its not a problem now. Good luck with your decision.