Thinking of whipping shoes off again...

ponyparty

Visit site
My horse came in from the field yesterday with a chunk of hind hoof missing and a raised clench (on the outside), my friend sent me some photos (I haven't seen him since Tuesday, eek! Friend and sharer have done him the last few days). I had been thinking his feet, hinds especially, looked cracked around the clenches - not THAT bad though. Anyway, they look a right mess now.

When I first knew him, and had him on part loan, he only ever had front shoes on - his hinds used to look great without shoes. The vet advised me to put hinds on last September while we were treating for hock arthritis and back issues "to give the hocks more support" (I had already had to put fronts back on, on vet advice, even though farrier said hooves were just starting to show signs of recovery and to stick with barefoot - he was footy becasue of the rich grass where he was stabled at the time). I obliged as I was going through insurance and didn't want to invalidate the claim. That claim is nearly finished now; I'm thinking of whipping the hinds off and letting them recover, and then perhaps, maybe, trying fronts off again if we have another mild winter (he struggled with frozen ground last time I tried). Get some really good hoof boots for riding as the Cavallos I have do the job protecting his feet but seem really clumpy and I'm not convinced they encourage the correct breakover.

Thoughts? Am i being silly? Should I just stick to what the vet says?

Photos to follow, can't type very well on my phone and can't do photos very well from my laptop so doing each post separately. I will be having a good look at them when I go up to see him later, I have alerted my farrier to the fact he may need to come out.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Get some really good hoof boots for riding as the Cavallos I have do the job protecting his feet but seem really clumpy and I'm not convinced they encourage the correct breakover.
Good idea. I use Cavallo treks/simples for turnout as required for up to 12 hours per day, and Scoots for all ridden work. My mare has bilateral hock arthritis amongst other issues.

Does he have a twist in his movement behind? That can make fitting boots securely tricky, although my mare has a slight twist on one hind but her Scoots stay put.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
that's pretty low nailing which likely isn't helping if you are getting cracking/some WLD.
Looks like they are bog standard shoes? I'd take them off and let them sort their own support if they want to.

ponyparty

Visit site
Good idea. I use Cavallo treks/simples for turnout as required for up to 12 hours per day, and Scoots for all ridden work. My mare has bilateral hock arthritis amongst other issues.

Does he have a twist in his movement behind? That can make fitting boots securely tricky, although my mare has a slight twist on one hind but her Scoots stay put.

He doesn’t have a twist (that I’m aware of), so may try Scoots. I’d hope he wouldn’t need boots behind permanently, his hinds used to be great. I’d prefer to get them comfortable and looking decent before taking fronts off again though.

that's pretty low nailing which likely isn't helping if you are getting cracking/some WLD.
Looks like they are bog standard shoes? I'd take them off and let them sort their own support if they want to.

They are bog standard shoes, he had lateral extensions for a long while though... which I don’t really understand how on earth they help “support” the hocks in any case. I mean I sort of do but it doesn’t make sense to me 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think you’re right, let them sort themselves out..!

Take them off. I was advised to remove the shoes to help with the arthritis for Kia. Shoes add more concussion and vibration so I wouldn’t really think they would do arthritis anygood.

Totally agree; I really didn’t want to shoe him. I’m going to go for it, I’ve decided! Hinds off first, get them comfortable and then think about fronts.

When I take the hinds off, if he is footy is it feasible to boot behind but not in front (as he’d have shoes on in front still)? Or is that not really a good idea?

ponyparty

Visit site
Also while I think of it... any thoughts on what I feed him?

He’s out overnight on a grass track; in during the day with soaked hay. He has two small feeds per day, which consist of:

Hi Fi molasses free
Micronised linseed
Brewers yeast
Magnesium oxide
Salt

It’s a bit cobbled together from what I need to use up in the feed room but I *think* that’s actually fairly good for a barefoot horse, prone to getting tubby?

Once I’ve used all the odds and ends up I plan to put him on one supplement - probably Equimins Advance Complete as I know he eats it and it’s not too pricey. (Have wastes £££ on Forage Plus and countless other supplements in the past that he won’t touch 🤯 not doing it any more!)

ponyparty

Visit site
@ester - where do you source your mag ox? I had a tub from Red Horse but it appears to be out of stock now. I want the "light" one, rather than the "heavy", right?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
those feet look pretty badly broken up so i would take the hinds off a s a p. my cushings mare had trouble with brittle hooves and i fed formula4feet which really helped her feet to improve. once they were ok i stopped feeding it and the feet started breaking up again so i then always fed it to her and her feet stayed in good condition. might be worth a try, i think supplements can work for some horses and not for others, it definitely worked for mine...

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I can thoroughly recommend Equimins Complete - best to get it into them asap - we transitioned all ours barefoot - one with hock & coffin joint arthritis because as somebody else states there is proven less concussion - one because of keeping life stress free - one because farrier made awful job of her feet - we haven't looked back but its a lot harder work - we have a barefoot trimmer who is fabulous & you do have to pay extra attention to their feet to keep the mud, manure, & urine off them & treat thrush. Good luck Im thoroughly enjoying the revelation of ditching shoes & finding all the time new research backing our decision - my horses feet look fabulous & beautiful without all that metal banged through their hoof - love it!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site