Thinking WAAAAYY into the future but stallion suggestions?

Pixxie

Visit site
I have a 7yr old 17hh Oldenburg mare who is bred very well, pink papered and branded. She is Rubinero x Rubinstein xx Landgraf and depending on her successes in the future I would consider breeding from her. I'm just thinking to the future and looking to see what some of the expert eyes on here would suggest

To me her biggest criticism is that she is a little straight through her back legs (photo at slight angle so doesn't look it as much) first photo taken coming out of winter hence her looking a little poor and the second and third last summer. Despite this she does move well behind and is becoming quicker as she develops and becomes more established and is really gaining good angle. She could however be a little more active and I'd like a little more expression in front. Temperament wise she is a typical Rubinstein very kind, trainable and rideable although can be very stubborn but young warmblood mare...par for the course so would like to keep this trait in any foal (or try to) and would more than likely be breeding for myself so would not suit the professional stallions as it were such as Jazz etc

Very interested in D lines and F lines for her as feel they would be a good match? Very novice to the breeding world really so looking to get a bit clued up way ahead of schedule

Please be honest and feel free to tell me if I am totally wrong and barking up the wrong tree!!

Thanks in advance :)

IMAG0421_zps455b2c87.jpg

Ruby1.jpg

Ruby3.jpg

Spring Feather

Visit site
D line stallions are known to have very good temperaments so that's the one I'd stick with using. I am not a big fan of F line stallions on the whole although I have used them and what I've seen is very brave and competent youngsters but then so are their mothers. D line would be my choice for your mare. Pretty girl :smile3:

Pixxie

Visit site
Thankyou both for your compliments hehe! Spring Feather just out of interest what is it about the F lines you don't like? She herself is certainly brave just a tad stubborn :p

and what would you think to using an F line stallion with a D line dam? such as Furst Romancier?

Pixxie

Visit site
although having just looked again at his pedigree I think they are probably too closely related with Rosenkavalier in both their 3rd Gen. His son however For Romance again has Donnerhall on the dam line and looks a very nice sort as does Diamond Hit. Any thoughts?

Spring Feather

Visit site
It's not so much that I don't like F line stallions, I do, but I think a lot depends on the mare in question. I have bred one of my mares to an F line stallion for a 2014 foal. I bred her to the same stallion and they produced a lovely 2013 foal. But she's kind of a special mare in that it really doesn't seem to matter who I breed her to, she always produces very well put together offspring and always much better than herself. She's more of a lighter mare but always producers much stockier offspring than herself. The F line foal I had this year was a heck of a lot stockier than any of her other foals. Many of my mares are big solid girls themselves so with F line stallions often producing heavy offspring, they're not stallions I'd tend to use on the majority of my own mares. I'd end up with tanks! And that's not what I'm aiming to produce.

So Diamond Hit I like. I considered using one of his sons on one of my mares but in the end decided against it. I've seen some hit and miss DH youngsters and I was not totally confident I'd get what I was aiming for so in the end I stuck with what I know and the resulting foal is spectacular!

Choosing is fun. I often have my choices made well before the end of the year. I'm sure those are the stallions I'm going to use ... and then something happens to me! I see other stallions and start to rethink the whole thing. Some mares I leave with the stallions already chosen and then others I have a bit of a way-hay! moment and totally change who I'm using at the last minute :smile3:

ihatework

Visit site
I was at Verden recently. I wouldn't be an expert on bloodlines by any stretch of the imagination, but I saw a number of Furstenball foals through the ring and I liked each and every one. He is young and given you are looking into the future might be one to keep on a watch list. You have a lovely mare.

Pixxie

Visit site
The fact the F line seem to you to produce stockier offspring actually appeals as I would like to add a bit more substance but keeping the refinement if that makes sense? Furstenball is in fact one I really like and will certainly be watching closely to see what he produces in the future and you are very right that as I'm looking to the future it is far more sensible to be looking at what is currently up and coming! I love Furstenball's fluidity of movement and feels he has the expression and 'loftiness' that Ruby lacks so could be a good match but would want ideally to see him in the flesh to look at his conformation compared to hers also. Thankyou for your comment about Ruby I wont tell her though her head will get too big :p I love her obviously and think shes definitely got an exciting future ahead of her, I hope anyway but still very young and immature but these R lines are very slow to mature hehe!