This can’t go on any longer

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Firstly you need to know I do NOT do competitions.
About a month ago I was persuaded to enter a Walk and Trot test to enlarge my horse’s education and this is what happened.

The competition was very user friendly with lots of help, the occasional overlooking of the finer points of dressage and altogether encouraging. C was great, her rider much less so, but in spite of my nerves and hindrances we not only managed ‘enter at A’ we got to ‘Halt, salute’ too and amazingly we were 2nd out of not many.

My instructor then encouraged me to try a competition a little further from home, the idea being a new venue therefore more education. This was also very friendly but the other riders were more experienced. C was very tense at first but settled and in a new dressage legal bit we managed the same test. We still came home with a rosette coming 6th out of a few more.

Today we returned to our ‘home’ venue and tried another walk and trot test. Although the ‘rules’ had not changed the judge was a bit more serious. C was not bothered, been here before sort of attitude, my nerves had lessened and to my surprise we managed 2nd again. This time out of not many at all but the winner was obvious in the warm up as they were so much better.

So a big thank you to the readers, as this riders nerves render her mind like mush, and to the venues for helping me progress with a new(ish) horse.

Suffice to say this cannot go on any longer but tonight I am so pleased with C.

Apologies for the essay but as I said at the start, I do NOT do competitions.

Meredith

Visit site
From a fellow non competitor (why would you want to put yourself through it?)

Well done you!

Thank you.
I did it because going to new places, meeting, passing, leaving other horses, travelling, in short doing all the things she needs will help us to become more confident. We have also been on fun rides, other organised horsey gatherings, hacking alone and with a variety of friends. The aim is to have a horse as safe as I can make her which means also overcoming my own nerves too. This sounds easier than it was I assure you.🐴😅

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thank you.
I did it because going to new places, meeting, passing, leaving other horses, travelling, in short doing all the things she needs will help us to become more confident. We have also been on fun rides, other organised horsey gatherings, hacking alone and with a variety of friends. The aim is to have a horse as safe as I can make her which means also overcoming my own nerves too. This sounds easier than it was I assure you.🐴😅

Yes sorry! I knew why you have been doing the comps etc, I really meant why would any-one in general and particularly me, do it, if they didn't have to. It sounds as if you will have a lovely, confident horse that you can take anywhere - just the type I like.

Meredith

Visit site
Can't wait to see your post next year when you affiliate! Well done both and go out and love it.

At my age, I think not! 😂😂

C is about 12 but has spent most of her life it seems having babies so her worldly experience is sadly behindhand, hence the dressage.
Next stop hopefully a cross poles jumping class.

Visit site
Age is definitely not a barrier! There is a letter in the Racing Post today extolling the virtues of exracehorses. The lady in question stared riding at 50yo. At the age of 60 she has just done her first ever dressage competitions. She has basically nicked her daughters 5yo exracer as he is so good and the daughter has had to get herself another horse!

I know you say you are doing it for educational purposes but collecting rosettes gets slightly addictive 😉

Well done with what you have achieved so far!

Meredith

Visit site
Age is definitely not a barrier! There is a letter in the Racing Post today extolling the virtues of exracehorses. The lady in question stared riding at 50yo. At the age of 60 she has just done her first ever dressage competitions. She has basically nicked her daughters 5yo exracer as he is so good and the daughter has had to get herself another horse!

I know you say you are doing it for educational purposes but collecting rosettes gets slightly addictive 😉

Well done with what you have achieved so far!

^^^^^^ Oops this was supposed to be with post above ^^^^^^^

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
It would appear that you do “do” competitions...and rather nicely..congratulations..and keep going. I will compete vicariously!

Sassy Cat

New User
Visit site
Thankyou for a really encouraging thread - I'm just starting to go out and about with my 11yr old mare and going through the tantrums of trailer loading!! We will persevere - I am sure we will have rewards in the end!!

Meredith

Visit site
I have had some news today, some good, some not so good.
First. We have qualified for a Championships after Sunday’s test. In last place but it was an accumulator through the season which I didn’t know about. The competition is 2 1/2 weeks away.
Second. Unless I can buy a horsebox quickly due to circumstances beyond my control I am without transport after next week.
Third. I have had a call from the hospital and due to a cancellation I am to have a very minor op next week. This may stop me riding for up to 2 weeks.
Going to a busier event would have been another step onwards but
Ah well, such is life.

Meredith

Visit site
Update.... and time to boast a little...
Minor op was cancelled. Doctor says see me again in 3 months.
Miraculously a suitable box was advertised, seen and purchased.
I chickened out on the Championships, it was a bit too far away with a new vehicle.
So today another walk and trot test. We were first to go ( errrrr... ) and C was a little more spritely than usual, however she was good in the test and amazingly we came 1st. Although again there were not many entrants I am still in shock. My instructor said ‘ Canter practice, a Prelim next’.
Oh my goodness, I am still searching for a cross poles SJ competition but as I said at the start
This can’t go on any longer...
Can it?

Meredith

Visit site
Collecting little bits of ribbon and cardboard gets addictive 😉😂

Huge well done! Onwards and upwards!
You are amazing! Tell yourself, and your lovely pony, that every day.

Thank you EKW and Clodagh.
P.S. Avatar is not C. The photo is of a previous beloved.

Meredith

Visit site
Another update..
Today an SJ competition, again at my local venue.
We began with the clear round. This is poles at an angle, planks touching the ground and similar tiny obstacles. This is aimed at lead rein riders, tinies and complete novice horses and riders. Great for me as when I enter the ring I lose the ability to count. I managed to get from 1 to the last without error and C was fine.
I hoisted up my brave pants and entered the next class. This was poles and planks that were above the ground. Again my ability to count did not desert me, C trotted round happily and we managed a couple of canters in between jumps.
I have 2 more rosettes now, a clear round and a 3rd.
I have a few more lessons booked at different venues and an organised ride later in November so C’s education will continue.