This can’t go on any longer

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
In the last month we have had three lessons, a dressage competition and an organised ride.
The first was jumping but C was hard work for some reason and I tired quickly and became pretty ineffective.
Next a polework lesson which was much better. Canter was maintained for longer, Hurrah.
The next were on 3 consecutive days .
At the dressage we were 2nd in the Intro, which I felt was pretty good for us. In the Prelim, making excuses here, it was mizzly and breezy so C did not co-operate so well. I can’t say I blame her. We were 4th about 1 mark below 1st, so all things considered a good day.
Next an organised ride of 2 hours. C was very good in company and on a long single file canter stayed reasonably well at the back. We earned some comments about mudpacks after that.
Then a lesson which concentrated on controlled turning into 3 sets of small doubles. C tried very hard and at the end the instructor said it was the best we had ever done. Therefore feeling very pleased with C and we are now having a few well deserved days off.

novadose82

New User
Visit site
I can't remember the last time I logged onto the forum, but having just read from start to finish you have given me the kick up the posterior that I needed to just get on and do it and well done on your achievements.

Meredith

Visit site
Belated Happy New Year everyone
A quick update
C won the Intro and was 4th in the Prelim at the Christmas Dressage at local venue. We have a small trophy.
In the January competition the surface was pretty frozen. However we won the Intro again. The Prelim was our worst as C decided that canter was a no-go at any price. All in all very pleased though.
We have had two lessons recently. C was good in both of them.
In our third lesson this morning we were maintaining canter for longer which is great. This means the jumps are now 60cm with one at 70cm. It is really nice to feel improvement.
We found that in asking to turn off a corner across the school we lost impulsion which resulted in a stop. My instructor then changed the route to around the school without the sharper turn saying we will work on the turns in future lessons.
Feeling pretty good now. C is relaxing in a foggy field and I am cosy in front of the fire.

hobo

Visit site
Great update your dressage tests sound very like mine, intro's cracked but prelims touch and go depending on the canter of the day. I can produce a lovely canter in my lessons but never carry it through to a test. Mine is at the other end of the age scale to yours aged 20.

Well done again with the trophy.

Meredith

Visit site
Great update your dressage tests sound very like mine, intro's cracked but prelims touch and go depending on the canter of the day. I can produce a lovely canter in my lessons but never carry it through to a test. Mine is at the other end of the age scale to yours aged 20.

Well done again with the trophy.

Thank you every one.
C is about 15 but did not start any real ridden work until 3 years ago.
Her view of life was, I think, very restricted and I am beginning to find that the more she does the more she enjoys co-operating. At our beginning, 2 years ago, she was inclined to say No firmly and often.
My instructor said today I must look back and appreciate how far we have come. I can all too easily remember the disillusionment after my first series of lessons when I felt there would never be any progress.
I suppose that is why I started this thread. It helps me recall some of the journey.

Meredith

Visit site
I have been reading the posts about Storm Ciara.
Unfortunately I have had a bad cough and cold combined with tiredness for over a week now and so C has not been ridden.
I have had to cancel 2 lessons with different instructors.
I also cancelled a clinic for spooky horses to be held on Sunday. This has since been postponed as the winds are forecast over 55 mph. I thought that would be good as it was at a new venue.
Next week it is forecast to be continually horrid with strong winds and rain which is not encouraging a breathless me to ride. I will probably take C to local instructor for them to ‘start’ her again to give me a little more time to recover.
Hoping everyone has as good a weekend as possible allowing for Ciara’s probable disruption and for anyone who is feeling poorly ‘get well soon’.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I've only just found this thread, but have smiled throughout reading this :)

Huge well done on your journey!

You've inspired me (a very much non competitive rider ) to enter a dressage test too!

Hope you recover soon and are back enjoying yourselves soon!

Meredith

Visit site
I've only just found this thread, but have smiled throughout reading this :)

Huge well done on your journey!

You've inspired me (a very much non competitive rider ) to enter a dressage test too!

Hope you recover soon and are back enjoying yourselves soon!

Thank you for your kind comments. I add our experiences every so often. It helps me remember how I felt at the time and if I feel miserable about a lesson or whatever I can read the good bits to cheer. me up!

Re having a go yourself I found that going somewhere laid back and low key, where it doesn’t matter if you have the ‘wrong’ kit, where you know the people and the venue and you can get a reliable reader all help take some of the apprehension away.
I found also the less warming up I do the better as there is less time for nerves to increase.
Each to their own however.
Go for it and good luck.

Meredith

Visit site
Another quick update.
I did not ride for the beginning of February as I had the winter cold and tiredness. As I was beginning to feel better the weather curtailed everything so C had about 5 weeks off.
I took her to my instructor to be ridden first as I was so unfit and our hacking is not easy.
I rode at the end of the second lesson, had a third the next day, hacked out twice briefly and yesterday did Intro and Prelim.
C was very good and we won the Intro and were 3rd in the Prelim. There were very few entries as there were other events locally.
I have had trouble with where I sit in my saddle and the instructor says that on closer inspection although it fits C it doesn’t help me a great deal.
Hey ho, I hate saddle problems.

I have just heard about possible lockdown for over 70’s so goodness knows when things will be normal again.
Take care everyone.

Meredith

Visit site
I am over 70 and OH is slightly vulnerable so we are preparing for isolation.
OH is working from home.
He did a big but strange shop yesterday so we are pretty stocked up.
Fortunately perhaps our freezer is always pretty full as we are 10 miles from the nearest supermarket.
We are going out for possibly the last time in a while on Friday to collect a repaired car and hopefully get horse feed.
We have forestry very close so OH will walk the dog and I will ride alone until told otherwise.

We have had 2 notes offering help which are much appreciated. I expect we will need prescriptions collected at the very least.

Looking forward to happier healthier and more normal times.
Take care everyone.

Meredith

Visit site
Update on our change in lifestyle.

We are some distance from all our neighbours and pretty much surrounded by sheep here.

Oh continues to work from home. He is driving the mile uphill to the local woods where he rarely sees a soul to walk the dog. He has been going there for over 20 years. He is also busying himself with fence repairing etc.

I have decided to stop riding. C has for the first time in the 3 years I have owned her decided to have a period of spring silliness. It is isn’t bad but she is spooking more. I am over 70 and as I have no school or flat land and can only ride in the woods I made the sad decision. I feel the worry of being an extra burden on the NHS now if I had an accident is just too much.

Has anyone any ideas how I can stop C becoming feral when I have only steep hill fields and a small flat patch of grass big enough to park about 6 cars on?
ABE6F673-A48D-468C-9D25-6134AD539E93.jpeg
Today I have cleaned my bridles etc and hung them tidily in the house tack room.
I have packed up last years rosettes to put in the rosette storage box.
The most sad was cleaning my boots and putting them away.
Stay safe everyone.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
sensible decision, i would just cut the food down to hay and balancer and leave out 24/7, that should keep the silliness under control and once this is all over start by long reining to get her head straight and once she seems calm get on and start hacking out. good luck

Meredith

Visit site
sensible decision, i would just cut the food down to hay and balancer and leave out 24/7, that should keep the silliness under control and once this is all over start by long reining to get her head straight and once she seems calm get on and start hacking out. good luck

Thank you, that is a good idea.

In an ideal world that sounds great but accepting that of course you don’t know my precise circumstances....

Sorry??

Picture this, a 70-something trying to long rein a 16 year old piebald cob cross who has never done that straight out of my entry and up a pretty steep 1/2 mile narrow lane.
Even though I have set up a small home gym for myself I don’t think I would be fit enough to do that.

I expect I will send her to my instructor to have restarting lessons until she is OK for me to ride.
I would like to do some sort of handling in my small space but I have no idea what to do.

Squeak

Visit site
Unfortunately I think we might all be storing our boots and tack away fairly soon :(

No idea how I'd bring mine back in to work, she hates lunging/ long lining and I'm not sure she wouldn't be a bit wild on just the walk and trot work.

Hopefully we'll all be back to normal soon. Stay safe.