This can’t go on any longer

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I am retired so I can go to lessons or competitions anytime. I had forgotten it was 1/2 term and there was an extra SJ competition on Wednesday for children and novices. This venue is the most friendly, low key, helpful, relaxed place imaginable where the proprietors are keen for everyone to achieve even if a little help from your friends is required. I was in two minds about going but decided that if I chickened out this time it would be easier not to go in the future.

This was Team SJ. As I am reluctant to waste another’s money I tried the 60cm ( huge) clear round. Oh my goodness, there were 4 spreads! C was not bothered by anything but had no forwardness and I was quickly exhausted. With help from the management I regained my breath and we managed to finish. A second try resulted in a clear round with some cantering but this would not have been achieved without some rear encouragement from the steward!

The team competition was about to begin. Any one could jump any height over the same course. As my instructor was there I was told in no uncertain terms that I was to go again but this time as part of a team. Fortunately a rider had brought 2 horses for schooling and was happy for me to join her. Again C and I did 60. This was better with more canter but still needing the rear encouragement. My partner jumped clear twice over a much higher course and we came 2nd.

I was so pleased that I had not let my partner down and C had jumped the spreads and been unphased by everything but I think there will have to be a great deal of practice on forward momentum for C and fitness for me.

Meredith

Visit site
Whoop whoop! Keep going! It's all in the process of education! Neither of you have done such work before and now you know what else you need to work on at home.

Thank you, yes there is work to be done.

You’ll be jumping at Olympia before you know it!

You mean in Greece of course. 😂😂

Last edited:

Meredith

Visit site
Aww well done and you sound like you’re having a ball - what else do you want from your horse. Keep it coming!

Thank you.
I would like C to be a well rounded horse. We have much to do as she is a novice in many ways but reliable in many others. I hope to do as much variety in her parties as I can with lessons, small competitions, organised rides and possibly in the future, hunting.

Meredith

Visit site
We need pics!

Photo as requested, SpringArising. Courtesy of a friend. A polework lesson on Sunday. Enjoyable but, oh my, such hard work!
1541434042667.png

Muddywellies

Visit site
Update.... and time to boast a little...
Minor op was cancelled. Doctor says see me again in 3 months.
Miraculously a suitable box was advertised, seen and purchased.
I chickened out on the Championships, it was a bit too far away with a new vehicle.
So today another walk and trot test. We were first to go ( errrrr... ) and C was a little more spritely than usual, however she was good in the test and amazingly we came 1st. Although again there were not many entrants I am still in shock. My instructor said ‘ Canter practice, a Prelim next’.
Oh my goodness, I am still searching for a cross poles SJ competition but as I said at the start
This can’t go on any longer...
Can it?
Yep !! You've started exactly where I did three years ago (you're doing WAY better than I was). We are now doing affilliated elementary. I'm 45 so no spring chicken and my cob was an uneducated freebie !

Meredith

Visit site
An update
Last week a SJ competition at local venue. This time we entered 60cm. Again my nerves hindered our round as although I controlled my breathing better I ran out of ‘push’ part way round which resulting in a stop. Poor C cannot be expected to jump related distances without sufficient impulsion. Instructor told me to try 70cm as I knew how it felt now. OK I said nervously. The nerves increased when I saw various fillers being added. C however seemed unphased and took no notice of them and we were clear. No rosette as we were too slow but really happy.
Midweek a pole work lesson. It was very windy so a simple 😀 manoeuvre. Mostly in trot and a little cantering. We managed it sort of OK and I was pleased considering the conditions.
On Saturday another walk and trot test. My brain wasn’t in gear and I know I did not ride well. It was the first test with a judges car. C was not impressed resulting in incorrect bends! Also a distraction caused by a rider near the arena did not help. I know we must ignore distractions but these are early days. We were 6th and got a rosette I felt we did not deserve.
Today an organised ride. A lovely day to be riding and C behaved pretty well. She has a rather good walk so part way through we were at the front. She was happier there but I would like her to ride in company not be the leader. I need to find a friend with a horse that walks at a similar pace!
I am feeling less worried about going to the competitions however I am not ready to go to another venue yet. That is one of the next objectives along with more group rides.
All in all a pretty good few days.
Virtual tea and cake to those who read this far. Thank you.

Last edited:

Bradsmum

Visit site
Wow that all sounds pretty good to me. I think you are being a little hard on yourself as you are out there doing stuff that many only think about. Well done on the frilly!

Meredith

Visit site
Resurrecting my old thread
Various things have combined to make our outings very limited so I have done very little since the last post.
An Intro dressage just before Christmas which went OK but I was distracted by Christmas and all the extra work it brings.
Mum visits for a month during the winter as she lives so far away and is very elderly. The equine flu also restricted us and for some reason every time I thought I could have a lesson or try a small competition something happening at the same time. I have had hospital appointments ( nothing serious), family visits, a holiday and a family wedding. Almost all were very enjoyable but not helpful to my equestrian life.
However in the last fortnight I have managed 2 lessons at which a few good suggestions were made, a fun ride and on Sunday, all being well, we go back to our local venue for an Intro test which is our first dressage since Christmas.
I am hoping for a few weeks of uninterrupted horsiness now.

I hope your excursions have been more numerous than mine recently.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Meredith

Visit site
Hope you go well x x

Winter makes it hard for lots of people to get out and about to compete...

Fiona

Thanks Fiona.
I am learning my test and watching the last episode of Game of Thrones. I can see tomorrow..

A ...................... enter in running panic and proceed down centre line . without halting
Kings Landing...... track right over rubble
B........................20m circle right in screaming agony
etc

Meredith

Visit site
We have a 3rd place rosette. It is always good to get a frilly.
There were 6 in the class. A very good friend was 1st.
C was OK and did nothing wrong apart from an excusable wiggle on a left turn as we were briefly joined by a terrier!
I was exhausted afterwards as I found it difficult to maintain forward impulsion and so the rhythm was erratic.
So a lesson has been booked and the instructor will ride C after I have ‘had a go’. It will be good to see from the ground although I am sure it will also show how much work I have to do.
Hoping you all had a good Sunday.

Meredith

Visit site
I was undecided whether to update this thread or start another but decided to continue so that I can revisit my feelings on our outings easily.
Our summer outings have been curtailed by the weather and mum and grandchildren visits.
We have been on 6 guided or fun rides. On each one C’s behaviour has improved. She is still inclined to think that a horse in front is a horse that needs her as a friend but a change of bit from a Myler forward tilt to a Universal lozenge is, touch wood, stopping her becoming so heavy in front and there fore hard to influence.
We have been on 2 Camps with differing results. At the first I felt I should give up. C seemed unco-operative and I was exhausted. At the second I felt useless at first but things improved and I went home in a more optimistic frame of mind.
I try to go to a variety of places for lessons so we have been to about 7 lessons at 3 venues. The lessons have included poles, grids, flatwork and small jumps. Sometimes I have got home exhausted and demoralised, other times I felt much happier. In one lesson I was given some advice about completely changing my canter position. It has been a great help, if hard work. We even practised a Prelim!
As this part of the forum is COMPETING and training here is the competition report.
We have done a small 60cm Combined Training. The dressage was fine for me and I was pleased as we managed a complete SJ round in canter but one pole rolled so no rosette.
At the first dressage we did a walk and trot test followed by a Prelim. It was the first time I have done 2 tests. I was pleased I completed both even though I always need a reader.
At the second competition I was completely surprised to come home with 2 seconds. I am not sure how but I can only assume the judge liked my nervous riding and fell in love with C!
Today we have had a polework lesson which culminated in a movement including 3 crossed poles, 2 uprights and a spread. Maximum 60cm I think, but, oh, was I happy as C managed to maintain canter each time the movement was changed.
A happy day today, hoping for more of them this winter to make up for a few bad summer days.
Thanks for your patience in reading. Beverage and treat of your choice available below.
☕️🍩🍰

Meredith

Visit site
You're doing so well, keep up the good work x x

Fiona

Thank you.
As with all things. sometimes it is great, other times, not so.
I have felt disheartened a few times this summer but today put a smile on my face.
As I keep telling my instructors ‘a lesson is my competition’.

VRIN

Visit site
Excellent. Foucs on the positives - for every negative though or comment find yourself two positives.

And remember its not 'only a 60cm' its a competition that you have worked hard for.

Enjoy

Bernster

Visit site
Excellent. Foucs on the positives - for every negative though or comment find yourself two positives.

And remember its not 'only a 60cm' its a competition that you have worked hard for.

Enjoy

This! I’m terrible for putting myself down for only wanting to do 60cm stuff. I know I need to push myself but can’t quite bring myself to just yet!

Meredith

Visit site
This! I’m terrible for putting myself down for only wanting to do 60cm stuff. I know I need to push myself but can’t quite bring myself to just yet!

I am probably not the best person to give advice about confidence/ nerves etc but...
I have found that putting yourself in an encouraging environment is the first step. Once you feel comfortable and begin to laugh when things go wrong you will be amazed how much progress can be made. I haven’t set any goals but try to find something to do that follows on from what I have learnt.
I is there somewhere suitable you could go to? Perhaps with a friend for the first few times. Or join a riding club and have a long chat with the secretary or instructor beforehand so everyone is prepared.
Oh and don’t forget to smile when the 7 year olds beat you.😀

Meredith

Visit site
I had to post today as I am smiling and not feeling depressed, useless and upset as I have been a lot this summer.
Continuing from Wednesday’s lesson today was poles working towards a small course. We started with trot and canter poles and quickly moved on to 3 jumps and ended with a short course of 6. I am so pleased that C seemed to be enjoying herself and we managed to maintain a forward enough canter all lesson and only broke to trot once. Again about 60cm but onwards and perhaps one day upwards. Well, upwards a little bit.😀 Sending encouraging vibes to every one who needs them while I have a few to spare.

Meredith

Visit site
I wasn't intending to post again so soon but today an Intro. and a Prelim. at our usual venue.
C was sooooo good.
I still need a reader as try as I might I get the tests muddled!
But 4th in the Intro and C maintained canter for nearly all both canter moves and we were 1st in the Prelim.
I am not often speechless but today...7C14C104-E210-4AAC-860E-9A8C72BF2DF2.jpeg