This doesn't warrant a whole thread.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
But not sure where else to ask it. We need a "small questions" thread.

Does that forearm need clipping as well? I mean we aren't about to win any neat and tidy prizes anyway. But it does look like he has a hairy ham hock stuck on him rather than a leg....
20201206_172642.jpg

Answers on a postcard.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I thought we had followed the muscle line but looking at the picture it doesn't look like it.... Will have another go tomorrow. Would it be awful to clip the whole leg naked if it still looks rubbish?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Mine has been clipped as ihatework and TFF's suggestion - triangular on the top of the leg, basically. But I'm not the one clipping and it might be fiddler.

I wouldn't clip the whole leg, personally.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
MrPF was clipping. It would be even worse of I tried! To be fair we've clipped the top of front legs a total of 3 times now. Twice on the Beast a couple of years ago and now this attempt. Also Beast was never very patient about it so she just got what she got!

Pippity... we've left Beast with a forelock this time as her hairline is just plain weird at the front. My answer to your question would be "wait 2 weeks" but that's not very helpful!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Last year my first clip I did a hamfisted job of the same area. This year it was slightly better - next year...
Last year
56pXUpf.jpg

This year

gCu4X3D.jpg

Carrottom

Visit site
The only reason I would give for not clipping the forearm is if you have the horse out rugged in the rain regularly. Ime the rain tends to run off the rug onto the forearm which can cause skin issues.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I hate doing leg lines!

For his first clip this year, H decided he didn't want to be clipped, I thought at one point he was going to go round with his front leg backwards off as a hunter clip, with his neck on! Fortunately I managed to convince him to let me partway up his neck for the rest however it still looked a bit dodgy! For his second he was sedated for the dentist so could be fully clipped out bar half a head. Unfortunately it grew back after 2 weeks, I have yet to generate to willpower to do it again, I actually like clipping but he's a PITA to clip id love one that falls asleep

Zoom in on the neck for the dogy aspect!
Screenshot_20201206-190920_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201206-190930_Gallery.jpg

SOS

Visit site
Just to add my two cents, not only will it look much better on the muscle line but I also think the ‘armpit’ area can get quite sweaty and grotty if left long. Its somewhere you really need to be able to easily clean and sponge off to avoid causing issues to the skin. It’s a pain to clip at times though!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I agree the angle needs to follow the line of the muscle, but Rigsby was so hairy that even that looked silly, so I took an extra strip right up the back of his legs (his feathers were clipped off already).

He has mallenders and sallenders, as well as the start of CPL, and this lets me get in there. TBH, since it is all clipped, there is now hardly a mark on his skin as I can massage with stuff twice a day.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I agree the angle needs to follow the line of the muscle, but Rigsby was so hairy that even that looked silly, so I took an extra strip right up the back of his legs (his feathers were clipped off already).

He has mallenders and sallenders, as well as the start of CPL, and this lets me get in there. TBH, since it is all clipped, there is now hardly a mark on his skin as I can massage with stuff twice a day.

I think we'll have to do this. Photo above is with the tips of the fluff done the back of the forearm already skimmed off and the feathers clipped a few weeks ago. But his mallenders has got worse again, after being practically gone for ages, so I need to clip to get at that anyway.

He is so fluffy though. Couldn't believe the thickness of the coat coming off his belly.

Red-1

Visit site
I think we'll have to do this. Photo above is with the tips of the fluff done the back of the forearm already skimmed off and the feathers clipped a few weeks ago. But his mallenders has got worse again, after being practically gone for ages, so I need to clip to get at that anyway.

He is so fluffy though. Couldn't believe the thickness of the coat coming off his belly.

I *had* intended not to clip (or rug) Rigsby this year, what with him being a cob, EMS and on a diet the whole time, plus only doing 10 minutes of walk work a day. I really hoped I could feed a bit more soaked hay if he was unrugged.

The hair was getting tangled in the girth, it was that long! Plus, he started to be funny to halter and bridle as, try as I might, I could not help but get some beard caught up too :eek:. Also, amazingly, he was sweating after 10 minutes of ridden walk work o_O.

He has a blanket clip, feathers off, half a head off, and a strip up the backs of his legs. He looks amazing with that, is comfortable, looks snazzy in rugs and is an all round happy chap. I am also happy, as I love to groom and can now groom to my heart's content, he even had a neck rug on when it snowed the other day :cool:.

BTW, for the Mallenders, I clip one leg a day, every day. That way, I only have to do a little bit, most of the time it is just running the clippers over and not clipping any hair at all. Clipping has one from an awful time to just an accepted part of the routine.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I whizz up the back of my welshie's front legs too, (from knees upwards, and then I go with the direction of the hair downwards) otherwise her legwarmers look ridiculous, plus it stops her armpits getting sweaty.

Red-1

Visit site
This is reason #47 why I quite happily pay someone else to clip for me. Reason #1 is hair in bra.

Despite having 2 sets of big clippers, 3 sets of trimmers and the know-how, I admit I also paid someone to clip Rigsby! She did his body, I said to leave his legs and half head as he is naughty for his legs and ears. I didn't want to ask someone to do part of him where he would be naughty.

It was pure luxury, I watched and chatted, and even better, because we were socially distancing I didn't get any flying hair as I was well back. The legs are a work I progress, but at least they are low enough and done often enough that very little hair gets me!