this is a calm horse in light of the annoyance (some mild language)

Tia

Visit site
Okay well I must have seen a totally different film from the rest of you.

The horse kept scratching itself on her and she pushed it away - it was hardly a hard slap! If the horse had been hurt I very much doubt it would not have reacted. I am failing to see the big deal here.......all this from someone who is very against people hitting there horses willy-nilly.
smirk.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Okay well I must have seen a totally different film from the rest of you.

The horse kept scratching itself on her and she pushed it away - it was hardly a hard slap! If the horse had been hurt I very much doubt it would not have reacted. I am failing to see the big deal here.......all this from someone who is very against people hitting there horses willy-nilly.
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Think I saw the same film as you. It was rubbing on her and she tapped it on the forehead. Hardly a cruelty case.

JadeWisc

Visit site
No...the slap wasnt anything to flip about. I am just suprised the horse was as still and calm as it was through the whole thing. In many horses just seeing that hand flying into it's face would have set them off. No big deal...she was just a ditz and I had to laugh at this
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
Which possibly proves the point that it does not get hit on a regular basis.....let alone be hit hard.

She certainly is a ditz though!! I laughed at her. It is just typical of QH's - mine are the same, totally unflappable and if I raised my hand to mine, they wouldn't move either as they are not used to being hit, let alone across the face.

Did you see the other video of the guy getting on the Appy? I think he may have shown her how to do it properly, LOL!!
laugh.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Think I saw the same film as you. It was rubbing on her and she tapped it on the forehead. Hardly a cruelty case.

[/ QUOTE ]

No...I never intended to make the slap the issue here
crazy.gif
Just thought the video would make you giggle
smile.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
Yeah...I watched that one too. The trampolene made me giggle. Our trampolene has been used as a mounting block on a few occasions
grin.gif
It appears he dint need one though.
I have a heck of a time getting on my gelding bareback (just over 15hh) without assistance
tongue.gif

GTs

Visit site
For that guy to get on that horse was nothing - I had a friend who would swing on a 17 hand horse with a saddle on. It was amazing.

Enfys

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
never mind the slap how many times did she kick it in the flanks trying to get on

[/ QUOTE ]

Tia is right, those QH seem so quiet and almost oblivious to most things. When I was having a lesson, the first thing they showed me was HOW to get a saddle that weighs a ton (I'm a wimp with a bad arm) on to the horse. There IS a technique. Anyway, the bloke was slapping this saddle on and off, bashing the horses sides and it didn't move (I think it had been switched off actually), then, without a girth, he leapt on, cantered round the school, slid to a halt, turned, etc, etc, showing off a bit and that saddle didn't move an inch. Next thing he jumped off and the horse went back to sleep! They are SO different from what the majority of us in the UK are used to.

That horse scratching it's head would have been classed as "playing up!" where I've been for the last few weeks. One groom refused to saddle a horse because it was "going hyper" as far as I could see it moved 2 legs at the same time
shocked.gif
Things are very different here

JadeWisc

Visit site
Oh I have met many crazy Quarter Horses
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

My family bred them when I was growing up.

I can for sure agree that "as whole" they are level headed and calm. I just love them
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh I have met many crazy Quarter Horses

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure they must be around somewhere - but I have never met a crazy one. I always buy cattle line-bred QH's with good foundation bloodlines so perhaps that is the difference? I know there are definitely different "types" of Paints - the silly show-bred ones and the good, calm old fashioned cattle ones - so I would assume the same to be said of QH show-bred horses?

JadeWisc

Visit site
I think training and human interaction (or lack thereof) can also be a big factor.

Alot of breeders here that are intending their horses for show buy from out west cattle breeders. A quy that I know down the road from me goes out west every year and buys weanlings for his stock. I actually prefer alot of the local babies. They have more interaction than many of the babies from the big ranches that are kept on the ranges out west and herded up to wean and take to auction or offer for sale.

Tia

Visit site
Ye could be. See I have a few horses who came from out west (of Canada) and they have been really well handled. I find the opposite here in Ontario - there are an awful lot of youngstock here who aren't handled particularly well.....if at all.
frown.gif

I prefer youngsters too - a lot of the older horses here carry a huge amount of baggage with them.