This is MAJOR - please read!!

Kezza

Visit site
I have ridden since I was 4 (I'm now 29) and always done odd jobs in return for rides as my parents could not afford a horse. At 13 I got to ride the most wonderful horse, 14.3hh Welsh x Arab gelding, very firey but safe. I loved him so much. I rode him for 2 years and then his owner decided to sell him but my parents could not afford him and my mum was ill so I had to let him go. I was devastated and I mean devastated. I never got over it.

15 years on and back in the horsey world with a horse of my own, I decided to find him and I did (I put posts on here about it). I went to see him, he'd been with the same owner who bought him back then and was very happy and healthy.

I have kept in touch with her and we email from time to time, she breeds arabian horses and he is more a pet to her.

Well, she has just text me to say she and her husband are splitting up and would I be able to offer him a home for life ... I cannot believe it!

I already have one oldie (20), whom I look after for a friend who is at University (he's with me for life) and another oldie (almost 22) who is our companion and also with us for life although he is on loan to a girl who has offered to buy him.

We have a yard we rent so it's just a case of checking with owner and settling him in to the herd of 3 (he has been out with stallions and mares and very good) and putting up a lean to as a shelter as he lives out and my 22 year old also lives out but his shelter is not big enough for the 2 of them.

What do I do?? He's 27 now.

It would mean I kiss good bye to getting that andalusian I wanted ... but then could I live with myself if I don't take him on?

RunToEarth

Visit site
QWhat do you want, I mean really? This horse is part of your past, yes you had happy memories with him, but he will be ending his days with you, is that what you really want? What do you want in the future, where will the andalusian be doing, what would you want to do with that?

Haflinger

Visit site
Its a matter of what you really want. This horse obviously means a lot to you and has shared a great deal of happiness with you - but as Rosiie said if you take him on his life will end with you.

I think you need to think about what you really want for the future.

Kezza

Visit site
I know that is the worst part, knowing I have 2 oldies already whom I will have to part with when they finally end their days but I get so much enjoyment and satisfaction from seeing them happy and giving them a good home, that is paramount. I also love my 20 year old for many reasons, one of which is because he's always reminded me of this one.

The andalusian was my plans for when I eventually get another one as I would like to compete but that's not high on my list of priorities. Keeping my 20 year old happy and healthy is my priority and he has a new lease of life with me.

I feel sick, I can't think straight at the moment.

Claireg9

Visit site
I have to say it would be a fairy tale ending that i dont think i could resist if i were you!
Im not saying you owe the pony anything but it would be nice to give back to love he once gave you!
Whatever happens i support your decision.
Claire x
P.s. Is there scope to buy your andy if you sold your loan pony? Also a loved horse to you but if they were prepared to offer the horse a home for life you could have the best of all worlds!

Claireg9

Visit site
I have to say it would be a fairy tale ending that i dont think i could resist if i were you!
Im not saying you owe the pony anything but it would be nice to give back to love he once gave you!
Whatever happens i support your decision.
Claire x
P.s. Is there scope to buy your andy if you sold your loan pony? Also a loved horse to you but if they were prepared to offer the horse a home for life you could have the best of all worlds!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think it would be wonderful to give this old friend a home to see his days out in.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Oh God what a dilemma ! I have thought it through and I would not hesitate to take him back.

If you don't take him, what will his current owner do with him ?? Could you afford Andy too ??

Look at it as a delay in buying Andalusian as opposed to an end ???

rach1984horse

Visit site
I'm a hopeless romantic. If I were in your situation he'd be in the trailer and half way home already.

He's 27 so he might not have a lot of years left. If he's living out anyway...

It depends how desperate you are for your andalusian? Would you consider selling 22 year old to girl who has him on loan?

Kezza

Visit site
there is a possibility that the loan girl could buy the 22 year old, she has offered to and she pays most of his bills anyway except his insurance.

It's not the cost really, it's the thought of seeing him through his later years and the terrible pain I will go through losing him.

Also, it will obviously upset the herd a little to have a new one but then they have more friends at the end I suppose!

RunToEarth

Visit site
If the competition is not high on your list and just a pipedream then I would have oldie back. If you see so much enjoyment in them being happy isnt that what the game is all about, enjoyment? I love my mare to pieces and watching her graze warms me, but its the grim end I will fear...

Claireg9

Visit site
Yes it will be upsetting when you lose him, but will you not be upset if you dont get him back now? Would you be more upset not knowing where he has ended up or worse still if he ends up in the wrong hands?
But dont look at it as the end already, just think how many more years he has left in him to give you alot of fun and love, are the worth sacraficing for a few painful tears when its time to say goodbye?
I was distraught when my one in a million pony died at 30+ i had had her for 15 years, and my Mum never wanted to go through that again, but i asked her, would you of traded all those years of fun laughter, tears, love just because there has come a time when it no longer exists?
No answer is no, you would never trade the time you had with your boy, and im sure if you let him come home you wont regret having that time with him again, even when the heartache comes at the end of his time, he will thankyou for your unconditional love and dont forget when the time comes it wont be goodbye, it will be see you soon in that big grassy paddock in the sky!
The more i think about it the more i think you should be on your way home with him already!
smile.gif
Go for it girl!!

Kezza

Visit site
Reading that has brought a tear to my eye. I am almost certain I will say yes. I have to check with yard owner first but I fear if he says no, I will be looking round at alternative yards!!!

Thanks so much for all your advice, I really don't think I could live with myself if I don't do it, he meant so much to me and you're right, he gave me the best memories of my riding childhood.

Just to have him in the field would make me feel like my dreams came true.

tinker512

Visit site
If it was me I wouldn't even hesitiate, being a soppy lilttle person I am!!

I still plan that if ever Ellie comes up for sale at any time, shes coming to me to live her days out!!

At 27...he could have a year left....or 5 years left...but he deserves to have them in happiness if you can offer him that!!

I remeber when you found him, posting about him, and if you went to all that effort of finding him so he obviously means ALOT to you(don't blame you!!)
laugh.gif

Do what ever you have to do

Vey

Visit site
I think you would feel good if you got the old chap back, and horrible if you did not. Peace of mind is a gift beyond all others - you would buy that peace for yourself and for the old boy. You cannot tell if he has one year or ten, but you would know you were doing the right thing. I always think that if you do the right thing, in the end, in some way, one is rewarded - not of necessity by getting some practical reward, but at least by becoming a person who is at peace with themselves.

serena2005

Visit site
someone said to me once when a horse i was looking after was being sold, take away the emotional side away about the horse... and is that what you would want to buy? the answer was no, there is always someone out there that needs a companion pony

SpruceRI

Visit site
I wouldn't hesitate in having him back - I'm also a soppy person like just about everyone else!

I traced one of my previous horses a while ago and found out that he'd died a few years back. Turned out he'd been passed from pillar to post and had a horrible time in between until he ended up with a lovely caring owner until he was PTS with arthritis. I was absolutely gutted and cried for days. If I'd have traced him, he'd still been alive and I found out his owner didn't want him anymore I'd have had him back like a shot. The hardest thing is not knowing where they are and what sort of life they're having, whereas when they're with you, you know they are safe.

For that reason I've decided not to trace any more of the other horses/ponies I've owned, either because it's too upsetting, or I'd end up having them all back and be bankrupt!

My current 3 are in their early teens and I hope they all go on for another 20 years!

Such a hard decision for you - best of luck with it

JM7

Visit site
What a cop out for the current owner.....
he is HER responsibility....!!!!!

by contacting you she has taken the easy way out......

she should take a hard look at herself as a responsible horse owner...the animal is 27, and she is shirking....by putting the onus on you, and vertually "emotionally blackmailing" you...shame on her.....

look forwards, get your Andy...whats past is past.....and tell her to sort her own problames out!!!

Kezza

Visit site
I've been deliverating over this decision since yesterday and have really been quite upset about it.

I decided today to get in touch with the lady who owned him when I used to ride him as she also came to see him when I managed to trace him as she'd been looking for him for some time too (we kept in touch).

She has offered him a permanent home without hesitation, although she does not own a horse she often looks after her friends horse who is now almost 40. The farm she has offered to take him to is lovely and he would have similar aged horses as companions so sounds ideal, it's also local to me so I could see him whenever I wanted.

Hopefully his owner will agree to her having him and then everyone will be happy!