This is so lovely I had to share! Racehorse story

Allie5

Visit site
I keep Tommy on a lovely little yard and I have been spending more time recently with one of the other owners. S and her husband A have a lovely ex racehorse called Pricey (Trade Price) that S is learning to ride on. Pricey is possibly the most laid back horse I've ever met, never mind an ex racehorse and the family adore him! Now through conversation it turns out that the family own 4 racehorses and Pricey was one of them! He came 3rd in two races and unplaced in 5/6 more so they all decided he just wasn't cut out to be a racehorse. S and A then decided that rather than sell him on they would just keep him! So now he pootles about three or four times a week with S and is generally fat and happy! What really got me however is that one of the other 3 needs a break (he is having some problems with his back and needs field rest) and another is retiring. S and A are having them both back to stay with us!
S told me that both of them have won the family a lot of money and the family owe them a chance of a good home and future. Neither S or A is particularly experienced with horses but they ask constant questions and S is doing a distance learning course in preparation for them coming home next Sunday!
I just think it's so nice to see such a responsible attitude to these horses who have worked hard for them. I'm also excited as the one who is retiring is Tommys double and I'm chanting to myself "I do not need another horse, I do not need another horse, I do not need another horse!"

Holly Hocks

Visit site
What lovely owners - it's a pity all racing owners aren't like this.
I'm sure you'll find that you do actually need another horse!

Allie5

Visit site
La la la la la fingers in ears! I'm sure I don't need another horse but even my OH is interested in the sound of a black TB with 4 White socks and a gorgeous temperament!

Visit site
It's lovely when owners take their horses home. So few are capable of doing so and I end up with the rest lol! Those horses are very lucky to have such caring owners who are putting themselves out in recognition of their faithful servents.

McNally

Visit site
Thats lovely- I was surprised at the fact quite a few owners at the yard i work on turn up to collect their "babies" for their holidays! One difficult crabby old horse is owned by an elderly man who apparently daily brings him in for a brush and hug thru his break.
Another gets hacked around and does a few clear rounds etc. Its really sweet. Of course most of them take their break at the yard incase a bit of dirt gets inside the owners new Jag! ;-)

lhotse

Visit site
We used to get a racehorse come and stay on our yard through the summer months, he used to go to Pony Club, do x-country, and hack around the lanes with the young friend of the owner.