This is what I mean...

AndyPandy

Visit site
Last week, I received a call from a man who wanted to ask me about handling semen after collection. He told me that they had been having no luck with artificial insemination, and that all the sperm they had been sending out had 0-10% motility after only a few hours. "What am I doing wrong!?" he asked.

I asked him what he did when collecting the semen. He told me that they collected using an AV into a room temperature bottle, then added 35degreesC extender, then put it straight into a pre-cooled shipper.

Generally, a good rule of thumb is that sperm cells will only put up with one chill-and-warm cycle. I.e. you can cool it once, and then warm it up by putting it into the mare. But heating and recooling is not recommended. Also, sperm cells must be cooled fairly slowly, so sticking them straight into a cold shipper is a bit harsh on the poor buggers.

I explained how he could improve his protocol, and he seemed pleased. He then informed me that he was going to be freezing semen, and was surprised when I told him he could not just stick extended semen into his kitchen-type freezer...

Do you know what the best bit is? Today, I found out that this man is on the BEVA register of "experienced" AI Vets. What on EARTH is going on!?

ihatework

Visit site
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Not that I know that much about AI ... however if I was paying an experienced BEVA AI Vet I would be furious!

Anastasia

www.morayfirthstud.co.uk
AndyPandy........ please excuse my ignorance...........but I am presuming that you are also a Vet?? I have not looked back through all your posts to find out if this is the case or not........

Its just when you say this chap is a BEVA AI Vet...............kinda worrying for the mare or stallion owners who are using him if he does not have any idea of what he is doing!

AndyPandy

Visit site
I'm not a vet, just a reproductive physiologist... It is terrifying to think that vets who are labelled "experienced" by a leading body of equine veterinary medicine, are actually totally incapable of AI-related work.

_jetset_

Visit site
That is bloody worrying... someone has sent their mare to him for insemination and this is how he is treating what could possibly be very expensive seamen!!! I would be furious if it was the vet I was using, I am so pleased with the place where I sent Hannah to, they were fantastic at keeping me informed and also they got her with just one straw of frozen semen in her first season of the year (although she did throw up twins, but they sorted this out on the 14 day scan and rescanned at 15 days).

htobago

Visit site
Golly that is worrying!

I've been getting grumpy about vets not wanting to use frozen semen (it would save so much wear and tear on my stallion) - they give all sorts of reasons but really it's just that they don't have the skills/equipment/time.

But I'd rather that than a vet who thinks he knows what he's doing when actually he's more ignorant than I am!
shocked.gif