This is what should be on the front cover of H&H on Thursday

cp1980

Visit site
This man and horse just won Britains first individual world championship gold in driving trials today:

d0038.jpg

(Photo from a different event)

Paul Sidwell getting his individual gold at the world single horse driving champs:

a5cd78b0fb.jpg

The British team (which didn't include Paul!) getting their team gold:
48c0d6484d.jpg

SJFAN

Visit site
Paul had to pay his own way to travel to Rome - was busy fund-raising as soon as he got the news that he could go as an individual instead of being non-travelling reserve for the team as he was in 2004. And had to get spare parts for the horsebox just before they set out on the 4 day journey.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Yay - go Paul! He is our farrier (shoes the orange blob amongst others!) - fantastic result - my sister got a text from him to say he had won and she yelled the place down!
He SO deserves this result!

teapot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I got an email from Lucy Higgonson (sp) the H&H editor who said that driving could never be on the cover as it doesn't sell magazines.

Booo!

[/ QUOTE ]

what a load of bull****
mad.gif

SJFAN

Visit site
What on earth does she know about what sells magazines I wonder? Doubt that many of H & H's cover pictures are what influences purchasers. I think it's a disgrace that World Championship winners should not be given the accolade of a cover photo. You can of course be sure that had Prince Philip been the winner, his picture would have been chosen!

I do know that many of the driving fraternity think that H & H does not give enough coverage of their sport.

cp1980

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I do know that many of the driving fraternity think that H & H does not give enough coverage of their sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, it gives far better coverage of driving trials than Carriage Driving magazine. All we get with that publication is a narrative of the results board from two or three national events. H&H do proper write-ups of all national events, some international events and even the odd local club event.

But to say carriage driving doesn't sell magazines is a bit of an unfair statement. Furthermore, to describe this as a "hard economic fact" is taking the mickey a bit as I suspect it's just her concern rather than a proven fact.

Why isn't a picture of a lovely bay hackney horse cantering with a bright, modern marathon carriage with driver and groom wearing bright clothes going to draw the eye?

What isn't interesting than a good news story like Pauls? I found this from the local paper in Maidenhead after a google search:

[ QUOTE ]
MAIDENHEAD farrier Paul Sidwell won the GB National Horse Driving Championships on the famously challenging Lowther course earlier this month.

Competing in the single horse class, Sidwell finished 11 points clear of his nearest rival, three times national champion and defending title holder Di Hayes. He said: “Normally it’s decided by decimal points, so to win by 11 points was fantastic. “I also had the lowest score of the entire event, so I had three wins overall; The Lowther trial, the national championship and the best score in all categories.” This was Sidwell’s fourth attempt at the big one, having previously finished fourth and then third, before taking the runners-up spot last year. He said: “I’ve got the whole set now.” The Lowther trials were also the last of four selection events for the British team for the world championships in Rome this September. Ultimately, Sidwell missed the cut by just one point, but his win earned him a spot on the team as an individual competitor, driving under GB colours. Unfortunately, this means he will have to fund the trip himself. Anyone able to offer sponsorship or material support should contact Paul Sidwell on

[/ QUOTE ]