This mud fever lark.....

_daisy_

Visit site
Right after last weeks awful mess with Chantins legs she eventually went out to play yesterday. Her leg has nearly completely cleared up but I dont think she couldve lasted much more in the stable.
The field was quite hard due to it being so cold, but as my farrier was coming to show her last night I didnt think hed be very happy with me if she was plastered in protocon cream so I thought she could have her boots on.

So as it was bloody freezing last night I wiped her legs with bedding to get the excess mud of and to dry them off rather than washing her hooves and coronary band.

Well this morning her leg is swollen.
confused.gif
mad.gif
Could it be a reaction to the little bit of mud she got above her coronary band?
confused.gif

She currently wears sportabac boots but do you think ill have to invest in the Equilibrium close contact chaps?
confused.gif
Do they turn up in really wet mud? if so is it best to put a pair of over reach boots on top to help stop it?

thanks guys

_daisy_

Visit site
I havent got a clue. The rest of her leg has no more problems re scabs etc, just the swelling really which covers the majority of her back leg to the just below her hock. Its nothing compared to what it was when we started all the treatment last week just got me thinking if the boots are causing her problems or if she is just so sensitive just cant go out at all in the winter due to the mud.

If only I had my own yard - shed have a concrete paddock for the winter then my life would be a little easier as no mud & boots = no mud fever

brightmount

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She currently wears sportabac boots but do you think ill have to invest in the Equilibrium close contact chaps? Do they turn up in really wet mud? if so is it best to put a pair of over reach boots on top to help stop it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Equilibrium CC chaps tuck under the heel bulb and will certainly protect the bottom of the leg better than Sportabacs.

The answer to your question though is, yes, they can turn up sometimes in really thick mud, and you might need a barrier cream around the lower pastern; that's what I do.

Using overreach boots over them may work, but to be honest, my other horse who wears SMBs and overreach boots in the field, almost always comes in with her overreach boots inside out and pointing skyward! By that standard, the Equi-chaps turn up less than overreach boots alone, though I havent tried them together.

ThomasTank

Visit site
Blimey I would have thought all that rubber rubbing would irritate already sensitive skin and cause a problem wouldnt it???

_daisy_

Visit site
right further questions as ive just been talking to my mate (chantins old owner/breeder) just by chance.
She said her equilibrium cc boots were crap! oh great least i got that before I forked out £50 on a set. She said you have to get the prfect fit so they dont leak the mud/water up under the bit that goes over the hoof - id theis right? have you had any problems like this lynwood?
She also has offered me some advice. She has been using parafin oil and tea tree oil mixed together and put on their legs. She said within a day of using it on Ellie's legs (chantins mum) the scabs had gone and that she hasnt had any since.
She said she bought a bottle of parafin oil from the hcemist and added 1/2 bottle of tea tree oil to it. Approx cost in total £6 - said she has used it all in one week but has treated 5 horses with it (not all of them have mud fever but as a precaution)
so what do you think? worth a try?

LauraBR

Visit site
I'm mid mud fever drama too currently
mad.gif

Regarding the equichaps- I had them for my last 2 horses and they are excellent if they properly fit the horse (not easy to do, even following detailed measurement guidelines). They do tend to turn up in v deep mud and I have tried the overreach boots on over the top with no success.

I don't use them anymore simply because my last horse had to be wrestled into them every morning and I then struggled to de-muddy them and dry them in time for the morning.

Prevention wise I now swear by keratex mud powder combined with not washing legs but putting thematex wraps on overnight- brush off dry mud in the morning.

Think I have taken my eye off the ball recently hence the outbreak... poor boy has been stuck in most days with limited turnout so have not been as careful as usual
blush.gif

Re the swelling, could be any number of things...
confused.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
poor you and sam. hate the damn mud. Was hoping it was going to be cold enough to keep the ground hard but no such luck - yes we have sloppy mud again tonight even though my fingers thought it was minus 10 degrees C.

well i might not buy any then - not wasting £50 or whatever they are if they dont work. I still havent decided whether the boots are contributing to the mud fever and the swelling.

ive been using the keratex powder under her boots and it does seem to be helping. Ive just got the biggest dilema of when to be brave enough to turn her out without boots. I know ive got to do it soon. So my options are:
keratex powder only OR protocon or something similar.

by the rate I get it sorted on what works best for her itll be summer or at least spring LOL

LauraBR

Visit site
TBH I would steer clear of any boots or barrier creams until the skin has completely recovered, hair grown back etc. So tempting to put them on but they just trap warmth and remaining bacteria etc... I found out the hard way
frown.gif

If I were you I would use the powder to turn out, let the air get to it.

The trouble with mud fever is that there are SO many different ways of preventing/treating it and everyone has different opinions lol! I've tried lots of different things and not killed a horse yet
crazy.gif
Plus different horses respond to different things...

Such a b*gger mud fever
mad.gif

vickers22

Visit site
i use the keratex mud powder and have to say its fantastic!!although has to be applied every day it is so much easier than applying thick cream!!(you dont have to hibiscrub off the bits that get clogged with the cream and mud every 4 days!)i still hibiscrub once or twice a week, but i swear by it!!i started really early with applying the lotions and potions and he hasnt had any scabs, and is in pretty muddy field.(i wash off the mud every night and quickly towel dry then use leg wraps)

_daisy_

Visit site
cheers lzt.
like you said its so hard as everyone has a method that has worked for their horse and they pass the advice on but it might not work for yours.
crazy.gif

Shes such a pain in the arse - warning to other potential horse owners - dont get a bloody horse with 4 full white legs - its murder and then to top it off dont get one with 4 white legs and is a mare!!! LOL
grin.gif
grin.gif

Shes just so sensitive its unbelievable. She seems fine with the keratex so definitley will keep using that.
smile.gif

Im desperate for her legs to get some fresh air as shes either had turnout boots on or thermatex boots on in the stable since October really. I even ride her in the turnout boots as the tracks are that awful black ash stuff and its awful to get off.
blush.gif

blush.gif
blush.gif
Right im going to be brave tomorrow morning (thats if the horses can go out tomorrow) SHES GOING OUT WITH NAKED LEGS!!!!
blush.gif
blush.gif
yes thats naked legs incase you didnt quite catch that.
wink.gif
Ive got to do it sometime so why not tomorrow. So tubs of keratex at the ready for all 4 legs and ill keep my fingers crossed that it doesnt get any worse- if she does im going to blame you laura!
tongue.gif
wink.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
Oh, and also meant to say... the VERY best stuff for treating MF is Noroclox. It's prescription antibiotic cream but my vet will usually post it out to me (or oral ABs) if I can explain why I need etc over the phone.

_daisy_

Visit site
i think thats where ive been going worng with mine. She had her feet and coronary bands washed every day then left to dry over night. Had her boots on through the day then again washed on a night. at weekends theyd get washed with either hibi scrub or tea tree shampoo.
I think ive been over doing it with the washing and shampoos etc that its made her legs worse.

Keratex at the ready tomorrow morning - beastie wont now whats hit her when her legs get hit with the cold mud.
tongue.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
well mines happy to give me trimeds over the phone if i explain that its for her MF as when he vetted her he was made fully aware of her MF problem.

It looks like im going to have to ring him tomorrow about Ebi and her feet/joint problems/unidentified lameness so will discuss the MF with him and see if he can think of anything else for her.
crazy.gif

and ive only just paid my last bill off - ooh that reminds me must get some more joint supplement from him. Bad bad lzt - youre making me spend lots of money (obviously on things that are needed for horsies so will let you off
wink.gif
)

ThomasTank

Visit site
I think the washing may be your problem. If you try not washing and leaving the mud well alone, i dont even brush the mud off until the summer you may find she doesnt get it. my horse only gets it if i intefere with his legs and start washing and drying them.

_daisy_

Visit site
i didnt wash them at all last week - she had her legs clingfilmed then every morning I wiped the sudocrem off with baby wipes and reapplied clean cream. I washed the cream off on Saturdays to see how the skin was underneath but again havent touched them since. I cleaned/dried the mud off her feet and coronary band bit with dry bedding rather than washing them.

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
and ive only just paid my last bill off - ooh that reminds me must get some more joint supplement from him. Bad bad lzt - youre making me spend lots of money (obviously on things that are needed for horsies so will let you off
wink.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL! Yep, if I'm going down I'm dragging you all with me hehe...

_daisy_

Visit site
thanks very much - already clocked up 1 weeks course of antibiotics before my new bill comes - then theres the joint supplement which I think is £115 -
its just not worth thinking about

ThomasTank

Visit site
I would try not even to do that really. very hard I know and people give me strange looks when I ride covered in mud but im not bovverd! i wouldnt even wash once a week, just brush off dry mud IF you really need. it works for me.
grin.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
its very hard - i had to wash it really to make sure the skin was pink and the infection had gone - well thats what im sticking too.
grin.gif

its also very hard but shes got white legs (they have to be clean and white or else she shouldve been born with black legs!
tongue.gif
) and im awful to ride out with
crazy.gif
. my horse has got to be clean - they cant have any mud on them and theyve got to look good - also Ive got to have colour coordinated stuff on - eg my stuff has to coinside with her stuff. yes mad very mad - mum thinks ive got the OCD thing.
Just cant bare the thought of what people will say about me or my horses behind my back - maybe its down to me being bullied at school for 3 years and not knowing why - dont know could blame it on lots of things.

LauraBR

Visit site
I think ECW is talking about her management of treating mud fever, which is different to preventing... I think a horse recently recovering needs to have it's legs carefully checked and scrubbed with antiseptic once a week (AND thoroughly dried) until all hair has grown back.

BUT, again, so many different ways of doing things and I'm not for a second about to suggest my way is any better than anyone elses!
smile.gif

ThomasTank

Visit site
Once you have ridden out the first time in muddy legs and you have realised the world hasnt caved in , it will be easier to do it again !! I dont think you have OCD (my OH has !) just a fear that people are talking about you. let them. all the time they are talking about you they are leaving someone else alone.
Izt I see what you are saying and agree with you but I wonder if E-C-W is making the prob worse with a hose pipe
smile.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Well things do seem to be getting better than they were last week, that's for sure!

You know me, I'm in ThomasTank's army - keep them dry, don't rub even the coronet band - it'll brush off in the morning when dry even if you use a body brush or cactus cloth. I think it was the rubbing with bedding that started this latest episode if I'm honest.
Let her legs see the air as much as you can, just plonk the wraps on when she comes in at night, toasty warm then brush off lightly in the morning. Then give the legs time to harden the skin off and it won't do that if you keep on washing or putting cream on (the powder sounds a better idea if you must use something!)

KEEP 'EM DRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
My horse has really white legs and has been kept on really wet muddy clay his whole life. Except for one winter I kept him somewhere that had really sandy soil and practically no mud at all, well guess what happened?? He got really bad mud fever at the place with no mud
confused.gif

I moved him back to the clay and he's been fine ever since. At my last yard we never used to hose legs off at all, and brush it off the next day and he was fine there.
at the yard I'm at now we do hose their legs off and he's still fine, don't know how or why but he has no sign of mud fever except one little tiny bit on his front leg, and thats really nothing.

Sam x

ThomasTank

Visit site
let her have muddy legs and stuff what people think.. thomas legs have not seen a brush since september and wont until prob April.
blush.gif
no sign of mud fever. if i mention the word wash or legs , he gets it which is why i have a bee in my bonnet. But of course each to their own
grin.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
TT - understand what youre saying - you havent seen the state of my stables, store room or tack room - yep mum certainly thinks i have OCD.
smile.gif

I hate to think that people are talking about me behind my back - i know they do though and that is what makes it worse. Even to the point that anywhere I go locally I get - "uuughh look at what shes riding - wonder which horse that is!!" or more recently i was told by my farrier that he had been told "shes had that foal of hers shot as it wasnt what she wanted - she said it was a reject, the worng sex and the wrong colour!!" WTF - how pathetic - my life really cant be that interesting as to think up [****] like that - i know its all down to jealously but it hurts.

anyway getting back to the original problem maybe I have caused the MF to get worse over time but ive been very refrained and not touched them with a hosepipe or anything since saturday - that is really good for me. - long may it continue. Ill turn her out with nothing on but Keratex, boot her up with thermatex leg wraps over night then brush the mud off the following morning and reapply keratex. ill see how this goes, hopefully itll work then proove ive been making it worse all winter
wink.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
MFH- yes so much better than last week when i posted photos.
im trying my hardest not to wash them - thank goodness this cold whether has appeared cos i cant wash them.
as of tomorrow im going to try her being bootless and brushing the mud off to see how that suits. HOpefully it will be good news not a another trip to the vet and box rest

_daisy_

Visit site
its so interesting. Thing is this winter shes stabled at night and out in the day whereas last winter she lived out 24/7 in a field on the opposite side of the road and she had no problems whatsoever.must be something to do with the soil types.

_daisy_

Visit site
ill try your approach - god knows how ill be on Saturday when she goes out riding - probably a nervouse wreck.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

im willing to try anything to help her. Its so not nice to she her like this. Ill take everyones advice and try it if it can help her