This video has no words

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
No pleasant words anyway!

[youtube]jykyk3Kn_ag[/youtube]

The other thread about the fat horse got me googling quarter horses and just had to share this video.

PercyMum

Visit site
What is the point of these horses? I googled them too after the other thread! He does have quite a sweet face though and I feel very sorry for him to have been purposefully bred to look like that. My LOU'd Ginger Ninja moves more freely and soundly than that poor boy!

Fairynuff

Visit site
he's not very fat at all. Some QHs are built like Belgian Blue cattle. My mare is similar although not as exagerated. Quarters develop muscles in the weirdest places.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
you can just about get your head around the extra muscle but when you see it on the move then OMG :eek: that is just wrong!

YasandCrystal

Visit site
QHs are built very differently - you even get rugs designed for QHs due to their build. They are not everyone's cup of tea, but the massive quarters are adept for barrel racing and and cutting cattle and sliding stops.

I don't actually think the stallion is that fat - watch him move - he is just a mass of muscle everywhere, as are the other stallions that come up on the end page of the Youtube. He's not for me, but luckily we all differ in taste.

Rollin

Visit site
he's not very fat at all. Some QHs are built like Belgian Blue cattle. My mare is similar although not as exagerated. Quarters develop muscles in the weirdest places.

You are quite correct, it is not just fat. We watched a roping competition in Hawaii and although the QH did not look so like Belgian cattle, they were hugely muscled in the chest and shoulders.

Amy567

Visit site
movement wise, the back and front ends look like they're from completely different animals! Looks lame constantly. Poor animal!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
He looks terrible at 1.28. I don't know about halter bred ones, what are they for, just in hand showing or something?

My Am Paint mare (coloured QH) isn't fat/over muscled like that. She is extremely athletic.

I can't see that one doing any barrel racing or working stock. The video, you would assume, is to show his talents, wobbling about and standing looking shiny.

Dizzleton

Visit site
Just a quote and some conformation pictures of the Halter QH's:

'While some Quarter Horses still embody this ideal, there is a seemingly mutant strain that’s called the “Halter Horse.” These horses are so heavily muscled that they look inflated. They probably couldn't run a quarter of a mile faster than I can, and they have a host of conformational and health problems.

These horses are obese, tend toward having very straight (post) legs and fetlocks, and often carry the gene for Hyperkalemic periodic paralysis (HYPP), an inherited disease of the muscle which is caused by a genetic defect.

kids-classic-style-running_sm-copy.jpg

1068888_14099487_hd.jpg

sorischsopretty-1.jpg

JFTDWS

Visit site
Er, that's not a normal QH. That is double muscled, conformationally horrific and lame (probably as a result of the former).

Pretty rubbish as a stock horse, I'd say.

BTW, most of those pics above have featured on the SnarkyRider blog at some point or another. Some breeders offer stallions with a HYPP guarentee - if the foal comes out HYPP sufferer, they'll breed you another FOC. :eek: Nice way to breed in a deleterious trait :eek:

ilvpippa

Visit site
He carriers the HYPP gene. Which is illegal if you want to show quarter horses as the gene, causes them to have random muscle twitches, which causes the muscle to bulk up. Abit like us having a vibrating belt on all day! In the wad she videos you can see him twitching if you look closely
At the start of the video it says under his name HYPP.

doriangrey

Visit site
Actually (and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong), if it is the same as the doubled-muscled cattle, it is a genetic defect. There is no such thing as double-muscles, there is a growth inhibitor missing which allows the muscles to grow out of control. It's not normal, it's not restricted to bovines or equines and you have to selectively breed to keep it going.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Er, that's not a normal QH. That is double muscled, conformationally horrific and lame (probably as a result of the former).

Pretty rubbish as a stock horse, I'd say.

BTW, most of those pics above have featured on the SnarkyRider blog at some point or another. Some breeders offer stallions with a HYPP guarentee - if the foal comes out HYPP sufferer, they'll breed you another FOC. :eek: Nice way to breed in a deleterious trait :eek:

Yeah here's a nice proper one :D

5b67250e33b417550fd4cf10a12c9fa4_zps6e0f0506.jpg

JFTDWS

Visit site
Actually (and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong), if it is the same as the doubled-muscled cattle, it is a genetic defect. There is no such thing as double-muscles, there is a growth inhibitor missing which allows the muscles to grow out of control.

This is true. Mutation in gene encoding growth regulator.

Double muscling is a commonly used term for it though :)

ridefast

Visit site
I don't think he's fat, I thought he looked a bit like a HYPP horse, however I know that quarter horses are bred to have loads more muscle, and it's common practice to have them under saddle from 2. I've seen 3 year old unworked QHs with massive chests and bums. As for the way he moves, again QHs are bred to move long and low with very little expression in the gaits, so it will look odd to us seeing european horses, even our natives, who are all quite expressive in their gaits. I don't know if this one is ideal for breeding stock, but I don't think he's a cruelty case

JFTDWS

Visit site
If Fergs was a stallion it would be a match made in heaven :D

(Whispers, is he here yet!?)

If only! Sadly Fergs only little gifts to the breeding world are some shetxhighbloods in the far north :eek:

YES!! He's a beaut, but I can't try him on till tonight as have 2 kids to tutor this afternoon and have to pick up some feed before they close :mad:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If only! Sadly Fergs only little gifts to the breeding world are some shetxhighbloods in the far north :eek:

YES!! He's a beaut, but I can't try him on till tonight as have 2 kids to tutor this afternoon and have to pick up some feed before they close :mad:

Lol shethighbloods, fantastic :D

Oh my god the suspense!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Lol shethighbloods, fantastic :D

Oh my god the suspense!

If you ever come accross any shet x highlands who are ridiculously sensitive (everything rubs, shivers when wet!), slightly daft and very, very cute, let me know ;) If there are any they'll be around 4 now...

The suspense is killing me. But I need to go buy psycho juice for the pony so at least I have a distraction.

And I've digressed this thread a bit :eek: