This weather!

Fransurrey

Visit site
When I bought my cob last Feb, I bought a 100 g rug. It's still in the bag. Had to buy a 50g, as anything else was too warm even in the cooler weather. Currently in a no fill and I'm guessing he's steaming about now... Last year was my first year in this field and it was fabulous. This year I am literally ankle deep at the TOP of a hill. Thankfully it's only a relatively small area, but happens to have all the traffic (gate and field shelter). I've had standing water for months and have resorted to begging for shavings at the joiners. If I bought it I'd have easily spent £200 by now, just trying to create a safe walkway - I have mats, but the land is literally sliding downhill and they were buckling. Now quite stable with shavings underneath, I hope! It's really gotten me down, this year. :-(

staffylover

Visit site
I always thought they should be dry where the tack is sitting to ride? Happy to be re-educated though!
I've always ridden if pony has a wet back as long as there's no mud under the saddle or girth which could irritate. Never any problem. Their back would get wet if they got hot and sweated when working, even if it started out dry. I personally compare it with getting into a wet bathing costume to swim, which I frequently did as a child!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I am far more concerned about the land than the horses. It will take a lot of recovering and damage limitation is going to be key when it does start to dry out because that is when the real damage will be done by horses.

I have done many decades of winters and this is the most prolonged wet period ever.
Yup. Mine have been fine toddling about out 24/7 in the last few days, but now if its going to stay dry they will be in at night again like they were in November.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I think this year has finally broken me. I don't want to have horses if this is what they are going to have to endure in future; endless muck and slop or very restricted turnout. The fields are running with water which has never happened in 19 years on this farm.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I am very glad I no longer have horses of my own and I never thought I would ever say that. It is bad enough coping with just my sister's two ponies and the mare and foal currently with us. We start lambing in March and I am praying it improves well before then as we are going to be struggling for anywhere to turn young lambs out on and are restricted in indoor space.
I haven't seen the field for a week as been ill but my sister says it is very, very wet. The last two years have really spoilt me, I knew we would pay sometime but did it have to be this bad!!!