This weather!

alexomahony

Visit site
It's warm, but wet and windy, then cold, then warm - fluctuating from 3 deg - 13 deg in the space of two days.

It's official - I've picked the worst year ever to turn my horses out 24/7! The heat means, ideally, I'd have one of them in a rain sheet and the other in a 200g, yet because of how heavy the rain is coming a rain sheet won't hold up to it, meaning one is in the 200g and the other in a 400g (both no necks)

Now I'm worrying about the connie getting too warm in his as the weather says tomorrow night it's going to get to about 13 degrees! I have taken Wed off work to clip him as he needs doing anyway, but I'm also going to clip the other one to keep him comfortable.

Is anyone else struggling with this?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
bonkers isn't it. was boiling here the other day, forecast is to get cold on the weekend but I expect we'll have everything in between during the week.
My ones who live out are retired and naked, like Mrs M they have good coats and shelter so I've been able to just leave them to it.
I have Rambo rainsheets and do find they are watertight though.

SEL

Visit site
My native is unrugged but probably feels like he's wearing 400g.

He is itchy, cross and miserable. Really should be clipped but that needs sedation and I've never had to worry before because he's a retired pet. Plastered in mud because there is no where to roll in the field that doesn't have mud. For the sake of them as much as me I can't wait until summer! (& yes, when I'm moaning because its 30 degrees and the ground is concrete you can remind me of this post :p )

alexomahony

Visit site
Thanks for replies - the connie was fully clipped out and not fat in Nov (before deciding to turn out 24/7) and hasn't quite yet grown it back hence why he is rugged - he drops weight quickly and I've just swapped his combo to a standard neck in a bid to save his mane - he is in work and will be clipped out fully again on Wednesday.

If i'm being honest with myself, Welshie probably doesn't really need rugging, but the shelter is no longer super good (tree dropped it's leaves). I started rugging him as I also began riding him a bit at weekends so liked him to be dry. I will be clipping him too before end of jan to begin upping his work load.

It's just such sporadic weather and sadly I do not have a field shelter - very much guess work, but then again I worry and they are always absolutely fine! We worry for no reason 99.9% of the time!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
We worry for no reason 99.9% of the time!
yup! hard not to though esp when trying to juggle rugs and variable weather.
FWIW mine don't generally use their shelter in the winter, they all pile in during the summer but in winter they are usually to be found tucked in a hedge :)

dorsetladette

Visit site
Its getting really frustrating. I have 2 welsh D's out 24/7 with a shelter. One is naked and one in a no fill turnout.

It was unseasonably warm yesterday so i took the turnout off the older one for the afternoon. When I went back for evening checks/hay nets it was still warm so checked the forecast (the one the fisherman use as its quite reliable) which said it wasn't going below 7 degrees overnight and rain wasn't due in until late afternoon today. So I left his rug off thinking I had plenty of time to get it back on for this evening (either at breakfast or evening feeds). Woke up this morning to a downpour and a very miserable soggy pony.

I know he will survive, he's convinced otherwise. LOL!

exracehorse

Visit site
My lad with sweetitch had his SI rug on a few days last week as 13 degrees and the midges were out. Then it was freezing again so back in med weight as he shakes if he gets cold and wet and last time that happened, he tucked himself up and had mild colic.

Annagain

Visit site
I think I've used the de-icer on my car 3 times all winter - and even then it was only just enough to freeze the windscreen, there was no frost on the ground. Mine was in a 0g until he was clipped just before new year. I kept expecting him to be soaked underneath it but he was dry every time I checked - which was every time it rained. He's now in 100g with a trace clip. After its last wash & repair, the rug wash lady warned me it might not be waterproof as it's so old and faded and she finds they don't always take the reproofer once they fade badly so even since going up to 100g I've been expecting him to be soaked underneath but it's holding up so far! I doubt you need 200g and 400g on them - the 400g won't be any more waterproof surely?

Nasicus

Visit site
My lad with sweetitch had his SI rug on a few days last week as 13 degrees and the midges were out. Then it was freezing again so back in med weight as he shakes if he gets cold and wet and last time that happened, he tucked himself up and had mild colic.
I'm having the same brainache re: sweetitch too. It's windy at the moment, so not too concerned right now, but it's so warm, once it's still again the little blighters will come out. Do I put the SI rug on? Will she get too hot with it over her winter coat? She'd get wet wearing it, but I recently bought the matching waterproof liner for it. But will that make her hotter? Do I clip? But what if it gets really cold like, a week after I clip? Sure, it'll kill the midges off, but then I'll have a naked pony that I'll have to rug, but I don't own anything other than No-Fill, and they're not the greatest in heavy, constant rain, so she'll get damp, and if she doesn't dry out, she'll get skin problems - ARGH!

So for now, I'm just going to crack out the Deosect and start the yearly warm weather routine of weekly sprays in January, and see where that gets us. Makes my brain hurt much less for now haha

Green Bean

Visit site
My mare is out for a few hours each day and her turnout rug is unrecognisable - it is just the colour of mud. Washed it in the wash bay Saturday afternoon as couldn’t take it anymore and had to take it home to blow in the wind on the wash line for a bit and then into the airing cupboard overnight, with plenty of knashing of teeth from family over the pong. She should be back in it today so expect it to be filthy again. I am so tired of all this rain!!

tiahatti

Visit site
My mare doesn't wear a run although i had rugs for every occasion and scenario for her old companion! The weather has been wet and mild where I am, on the whole.

dorsetladette

Visit site
My mare is out for a few hours each day and her turnout rug is unrecognisable - it is just the colour of mud. Washed it in the wash bay Saturday afternoon as couldn’t take it anymore and had to take it home to blow in the wind on the wash line for a bit and then into the airing cupboard overnight, with plenty of knashing of teeth from family over the pong. She should be back in it today so expect it to be filthy again. I am so tired of all this rain!!

My other half jet washers my rugs for me if there really bad. I'd love to think its because he loves my horses/me, but its just so I don't put them in the washing before I do his work clothes again :p

Chianti

Visit site
I'm having the same brainache re: sweetitch too. It's windy at the moment, so not too concerned right now, but it's so warm, once it's still again the little blighters will come out. Do I put the SI rug on? Will she get too hot with it over her winter coat? She'd get wet wearing it, but I recently bought the matching waterproof liner for it. But will that make her hotter? Do I clip? But what if it gets really cold like, a week after I clip? Sure, it'll kill the midges off, but then I'll have a naked pony that I'll have to rug, but I don't own anything other than No-Fill, and they're not the greatest in heavy, constant rain, so she'll get damp, and if she doesn't dry out, she'll get skin problems - ARGH!

So for now, I'm just going to crack out the Deosect and start the yearly warm weather routine of weekly sprays in January, and see where that gets us. Makes my brain hurt much less for now haha

Does Deosect work? Mine had about a four week respite from itching but the buggers are obviously back. Always looking for something else I can try.

Nasicus

Visit site
Does Deosect work? Mine had about a four week respite from itching but the buggers are obviously back. Always looking for something else I can try.
I think it's pretty good, yeah. My vet advises to do it daily for a few days, then cut down to once a week and monitor from there.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yep, it's nuts. Has been warm and wet all day but then just as I was arriving home a hail storm appeared out of nowhere. I had to creep along the lane with almost no visibility, the car door blew out of my hand and then got soaked through with hail stones in 10m from car to house. And now back to a soggy 11 degrees. I've given up with rugs - I intersperse rain sheets with 200g, usually getting it the wrong way round.

Finlib

Visit site
Today started well it by lunch time it was blowing a hooley and torrential downpours followed by an unbelievable hail storm . Horses have been in and out of the pole barn grazing when lighter rain in for the hay when nasty.Seem ok but it's hard work mucking out the pole barn twice a day and boy am I getting through some shavings!!! I am using a mix of wood pellets and shavings makes a lovely bed but the bad weather means adding a lot more than usual.

alexomahony

Visit site
I think I've used the de-icer on my car 3 times all winter - and even then it was only just enough to freeze the windscreen, there was no frost on the ground. Mine was in a 0g until he was clipped just before new year. I kept expecting him to be soaked underneath it but he was dry every time I checked - which was every time it rained. He's now in 100g with a trace clip. After its last wash & repair, the rug wash lady warned me it might not be waterproof as it's so old and faded and she finds they don't always take the reproofer once they fade badly so even since going up to 100g I've been expecting him to be soaked underneath but it's holding up so far! I doubt you need 200g and 400g on them - the 400g won't be any more waterproof surely?

Agreed with the 400g, now he is a bit fluffier. I think once they’re both clipped out o. Wednesday I’ll feel much better.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Today started well it by lunch time it was blowing a hooley and torrential downpours followed by an unbelievable hail storm . Horses have been in and out of the pole barn grazing when lighter rain in for the hay when nasty.Seem ok but it's hard work mucking out the pole barn twice a day and boy am I getting through some shavings!!! I am using a mix of wood pellets and shavings makes a lovely bed but the bad weather means adding a lot more than usual.

Tell me about it. My boys have big nets of straw in the back of there shelter to pick at. Some gets left on the floor which I don't mind usually. They've sort of made themselves a small bed. But there now not really leaving the shelter so I'm now mucking out!!! It's making the poo picking easier though if it's not in the shelter its just out side it or by the haynet. I've decided anything else is a mole hill?

Visit site
It’s awful here too! Can hear the wind bartering the windows now!! By the time I got round to being able to ride today it was gale force winds and chucking it down so I gave up and went inside and fell asleep instead ?

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
It's official - I've picked the worst year ever to turn my horses out 24/7!

I've done the same!! Hes got a field with a shelter but even thats got water flowing inside now so hes been in overnight the last few. Hes blanket clipped but its grown back a fair bit so he's in a full neck 70g rug which does him, warm but allows him to lose a little weight ;)

hollyandivy123

Visit site
i would like to apologies to everyone, i feel the weather might have something to do with me........................in my defence

1. i live at the bottom on a hill in a valley to the only way is up to get out, and have got stuck a couple of times
2. the shop was closing down and they were to good a buy not to think about it
3. 1 set of snow chains, 2 set of snow tyre socks
4. 3 snow shoe grips

sorry.................it was a case of if you have it you want need it...............

southerncomfort

Visit site
It is disturbingly mild. The perennials in my garden haven't died back at all and some of them are still flowering!

But also very wet and we seem to have had gales for weeks. Only my older pony is rugged and she hasn't been in anything warmer than a 100gm. I've been bringing them in at night if the weather is really bad though.

Bradsmum

Visit site
When we moved house, I purposely chose land that sloped in the hope it would drain better but it just hasn't had a chance. I keep apologising to my two that they have lost their winter turnout and are in mud for the first time in years. They don't seem to mind to be honest so as you say, I think we worry too much sometimes.