Thor update post Rossdales

quizzie

Visit site
The vet said that where we are now is unlikely to meet the insurer’s threshold but I am going to do what I think I need to do. It’s not about the money. I will submit the paperwork afterwards and see what they say without any expectations. As we all know, the cost of buying a horse is probably the least costly cost! The insurance money would be a drop in the ocean compared with the yearly cost of maintenance!

I had to have a horse PTS, earlier this year, with a probable brain tumour ( anomalies on CT scan) and petit-mal type seizures. Initially there was a possible head-shaking diagnosis, but as the episodes became more frequent, and didn't conform to the usual head-shaking patterns, the decision had to be made.....my equine vet wrote a supporting letter advising PTS on both humane and safety grounds. The insurance company agreed to pay the (small) death benefit amount that he was insured for.

Wishing you all the best, I know only too well how it feels.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Yesterday I had to have my 13yo homebred put down after a second seizure, after she was given the benefit of the doubt after the first one which wasn’t fully observed. There is a thread up about it.

It’s completely pants, but seizures in a horse are scary and dangerous to both the horse and all around them. She had no previous history of neurological issues until the first is it/isn’t it episode 3 weeks ago.

Whilst she had no scans, it was clearly a seizure, and that pattern of it led the vet to reckon she had a frontal lobe tumour.

I told the vet that seizures cross my red line of what I will deal with in a horse. She was completely supportive. I hope that your vets give you the support you need to let your horse go now.

Mine wasn’t insured, so I do not know about that side of it. The vet did tell me that I could get a PM for c£2k but I declined, we knew she had to go.

It is a rubbish thing to go through for all concerned.

Trouper

Visit site
So sorry to read this. It is the saddest decision to have to make but you do seem to have a lot of information to know that the quality of his life is not great now. Take your time to make that final decision.

Cragrat

Visit site
That is so rubbish. At least you know now what has been bothering the poor lad. I am so sorry, and the insurance thing is just salt in the wound.

SO1

Visit site
So sorry to hear this.

If you can't control the seizures as they are now going to be likely to happen as part of his condition then I would PTS on the basis that you don't want him to be in the situation where he is injured due to banging his head or hurting another part of his body or scared and jumping out over a gate and being like that all night until someone found him in the morning.

With regards to the insurance. If your vet writes to the insurance company to recommend PTS because of the risk of seizures is high and that the lesion on his brain will cause suffering they might pay out. You don't always have to wait for the catastrophic event to happen. Seizures are on the BEVA list as are neurological conditions such as wobblers but you might have to get a second opinion before you PTS.

SEL

Visit site
The vet said that where we are now is unlikely to meet the insurer’s threshold but I am going to do what I think I need to do. It’s not about the money. I will submit the paperwork afterwards and see what they say without any expectations. As we all know, the cost of buying a horse is probably the least costly cost! The insurance money would be a drop in the ocean compared with the yearly cost of maintenance!
You might find the insurance company are more supportive than your vet believes. NFU certainly have paid out on two cases I know where the horse could have had a lot more treatment - but the vet said in both cases riding was out of the question.

Just be very clear in your supporting paperwork that PTS has been chosen for welfare and safety reasons

I do also know cases where a distraught owner has made the decision 100% for the welfare of the horse and had ridiculous rejects back from the insurers, but I hope that doesn't happen to you. Awful enough as it is without all that

**Hugs**

maya2008

Visit site
Having had a horse with neck arthritis…I would have pts there and then and come home without him. There is no cure, nothing you can do to help. My vet said: they start to fall over, then fall more and more. In time they struggle to eat.

I was on the phone to the knackerman as he pulled out of the drive - no way were we reaching end stage of that.

Pts. It’s just money. You can make more. Insurance companies are determined never to spend money, so their criteria are often beyond what a caring owner would tolerate for their horse.

4Hoofed

Visit site
I’m so sorry. I think you’ve come to the right conclusion.

I think it depends on your insurer. My vet advised me with my neuro horse they were unlikely to pay out as diagnosis couldn’t be confirmed, and we hadn’t “exhausted” treatment, diagnostics etc as not safe to travel, NFU didn’t even quibble, vet sent the claim forms, with just a note on the vet notes that he was pts to prevent suffering and they rang me to offer condolences and if I wanted cheque or transfer 🤷‍♀️ I was genuinely grateful and so overwhelmed.

They offered for my other horse but his market at end of life was probably a fiver he was a combination of several old and new conditions so I said not to worry as I wasn’t claiming.

It’s so hard to go through the paperwork at such an emotional time. Honestly big hugs.