Thorn pad for Section A

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Just wondered whether anyone had any experience of Thorn Pads. Our little loan Section A came with a saddle that was too long for her and it has made her sore. She can only take a 14" saddle and they seem to be like hens teeth round our area so I thought about a Thorn pad. My daughter is 5 and is quite confident walking and trotting, doing trotting poles and tiny jumps. I just want something that will be comfy for both child and pony and does what it says on the tin.

So if anyone has any experience of them for kids, please tell all!!

indiat

Visit site
We had one made for our daughter last year - she is twelve and still riding her 11.2 welsh! We had a 15 inch one made as they come up quite small and he loves it. We got her the one with knee pads and they are happily jumping and doing flat work in it and he is a much happier boy. Well worth the money AND they seem to hold their value if you re-sell.

MouseInLux

Visit site
We bought one about a year and a half ago. My daughter didn't sit well on any of the school saddles and I was hoping to use it for my large pony too. It failed on my pony because he's just got too much movement for a 5 year old without a full saddle. For the school ponies it was great, we and her teacher loved it so much that the lesson ponies are now being ridden in Thorn pads :)

I'll try with photos...

IMG_5968 by BluePeace2, on Flickr

This is the 125cm german riding pony and my 5 year old.

IMG_6069 by BluePeace2, on Flickr

This is the tiny shetland that we have a share on for her (with our vet loving on him).

Pen

Visit site
Great to hear they are comfortable for both pony and rider. They look neat too. Are they completely flat underneath or do they have a rudimentary gullet? Also what material is the underneath made of? Thanks in advance.

MouseInLux

Visit site
It's completely flat underneath. Two of our school ponies have a different setup from Sweden which has a rudimentary gullet. All surfaces are leather.

Butterbear

Visit site
These look like a good solution for my little mare when I get round to backing her. What is the thinking about spine pressure? How is the weight through the stirrups distributed? Are they competition legal? Thanks :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I dont have one but the are popular for hard to fit Exmoors-people either love or hate them but they tend to use them with shimmed numnahs/cloths such as the Mattes ones. I think for a little kid it wouldnt be much of a problem, I am less convinced about larger or adult riders using them with stirrups thogh-they could hoever be used with a good treeless pad in that case.

You see a few being sold secondhand very quickly after being delivered-as with everything, they dont suit every pony or rider.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think they probably best suit small people :), those that have reported issues tend to be adults on natives and I think pressure becomes a bit of an issue with stirrup bars etc if used regularly.