Thoroughbred breeding season

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
For those breeding future race horses maybe, but it will be providing artifical lightening so the mares are conned into thinking the days are longer. They may come into season, but does not mean they are producing big enough folicals. They wont be covered until next year though, not in the UK anyway.

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Er no, not normally.

Feb to July is the normal breeding season for TBs in the Northern Hemisphere.
(I always used to think of St Valentines Day to remember......aaah!
blush.gif
smile.gif
)

Of course, those mare covered in Feb will be foaling in Jan and I'm sure there are those few born late Dec. that are 'hidden' for a few days!!!
shocked.gif
grin.gif

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, those mare covered in Feb will be foaling in Jan and I'm sure there are those few born late Dec. that are 'hidden' for a few days!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always wondered if the number of foals born on the 1st Jan is much higher than other days
shocked.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I've always wondered if the number of foals born on the 1st Jan is much higher than other days
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think so. Godolphin tried to get away with it and couldnt. They were made such an example of I doubt anyone else would be stupid enough to try.

sallyf

Visit site
Are you refering to Endless summer who was bred by Juddmonte farms and raced by Kalid Abdullah (one in the same really)
Funnily enough he was retired to stud but didnt take to it and has been gelded and is still racing.

sallyf

Visit site
Very unlikely to change in the near future according to the powers that be Weatherbys.
rather uneccesary to change really as the popular stallions in Ireland cover 300 mares anyway which is what restricting A'I was meant to stop.