Thoroughbred ex racer issues :)

Thesnowbones

Visit site
I recently lost a thoroughbred ex-racer to a tumour that was pressing on her optical nerve. It has been heart breaking. My yard manager has warned me off getting another thoroughbred because they have so many back and leg problems due to being broken in too early. I have recently tried out a five year old ex-racer who is incredibly sound and am aiming to get him vetted next week, however, I am worried that this is a disaster waiting to happen. Are all ex-racer thoroughbreds a gamble? Am I foolish to consider getting another?

be positive

Visit site
Buying any horse is a gamble, having a 5 stage vetting reduces the risk slightly but there is no guarantee whatever you buy will not have a problem, the one you just lost was nothing to do with racing so I think your YM is being negative just because she is biased, many tb's race and some will stay completely sound throughout their careers, if they retire sound due to being too slow, which is a common enough reason , have been retrained and pass a vetting they are probably no more of a risk than any other horse.

doodle

Visit site
Mine retired due to being too slow. He was always getting a nick or cut or some other issue needing time off but nothing due to racing. I lost him due to a field accident again nothing to do with racing.

LynH

Visit site
My TB raced and p2p until she was 9 and retired from racing sound. Only issues she ever had were accidental and she stayed in work until the age of 22, retired sound and pts with colic related issues at 25. She was sound and not signs of arthritis up until the end.

TBmum

Visit site
I have 2 tb ex racers neither seem to have any issues due to their racing careers. As everyone else has said, buying any horse is a risk.

I think it depends on how the individual horse makes you feel when you are on the ground and riding. X

DTV

Visit site
My ex racer retired from competition as a 7 year old and was hacked out until he was 25.Never had any issues with him,health or otherwise and he was never any bother.A kind and gentle chap,he passed in his sleep recently just after his 30th birthday.If you do the necessary vetting etc,imo,they are just as good as any other.If the horse feels right for you I wouldn't hesitate.